Just post your answer to #4.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    3. What type of lens would you recommend for someone who has this Rx:

OD: +2.50
    58 mm eyesize, 15 degree wrap sun frame, p.d. = 58
    Good luck with this, with 29 pd in a 58 eyesize frame you are probably decentering 8+... This is one of those jobs that the lab calls you and says WHAT THE HELL!?!

4. What type of lens would you recommend for someone who has this Rx:

OD: plano
    +2.50 add OU.
    What do they want the glasses for and how will they be using them? With a 2.50 add power probably in their 50s, and if they working at a desk most of the day a NVF lens sounds like where I would go with them. Probably wouldn't put them in a traditional progressive with no distance correction, unless they are tired of taking readers on and off, Ryser's rule.

Hoya iD zoom/screen/space depending on how the plan on using their lenses at work in a CR39 or Trivex material depending on frame choice with Super HiVision EX3+

Then the conversation would be do they want to continue wearing reading glasses or do they want to have a pair they can always wear and be able to read and see distance. If they want to want to wear a pair all the time put them in a high end progressive lens of your choice and call it a day. In this scenario I'm spinning the customer has two different needs, working 8+ hours a day in front of a screen, and not wanting to put readers on and take them off all the time to see up close.
    Last edited by NAICITPO; 07-19-2023 at 12:31 PM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Great answer.

I'm being a little coy. I'm trying to show that a +2.50 add means the patient has a serious vision problem, not unlike someone with high oblique cyl or a large vertical muscle deviation that causes double vision!

So...why don't we do like NAICITPO does? Take it very seriously!

By that I mean, how many of us just say "Ok, progressives for you" and are done with it? How many, instead, treat the problem with sophisticated designs (like we would need to do with a thick lens wrap sunglass)?

I think (admittedly being a +2.50 presbyope myself) I don't give presbyopia enough respect. We need GOOD designs and good strategies. Not this "OK, here's a generic PAL" approach.

Managing presbyopia properly is kind of a sub-specialty in optometry/opticianry that is not very sexy, but really needed.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NAICITPO View Post
    What do they want the glasses for and how will they be using them? With a 2.50 add power probably in their 50s, and if they working at a desk most of the day a NVF lens sounds like where I would go with them. Probably wouldn't put them in a traditional progressive with no distance correction, unless they are tired of taking readers on and off, Ryser's rule.

Hoya iD zoom/screen/space depending on how the plan on using their lenses at work in a CR39 or Trivex material depending on frame choice with Super HiVision EX3+

Then the conversation would be do they want to continue wearing reading glasses or do they want to have a pair they can always wear and be able to read and see distance. If they want to want to wear a pair all the time put them in a high end progressive lens of your choice and call it a day. In this scenario I'm spinning the customer has two different needs, working 8+ hours a day in front of a screen, and not wanting to put readers on and take them off all the time to see up close.
    This is the easy and correct way to do it. Talk to the patient, present them with all the options, tell them what options you think are best based on their life, and Bob's your auntie. This isn't sub weird sub-specialty high level thinking stuff here. It's basic opticianry.

Good luck with this, with 29 pd in a 58 eyesize frame you are probably decentering 8+... This is one of those jobs that the lab calls you and says WHAT THE HELL!?!
    I'll disagree here. I'll take this job any day. FFSV no problem. Even in trivex with a 58-16 frame, 8 base lens, CT is only about 4.5mm with a 1.0 edge.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    I'll disagree here. I'll take this job any day. FFSV no problem. Even in trivex with a 58-16 frame, 8 base lens, CT is only about 4.5mm with a 1.0 edge.
    Guess I'm just a little gun shy after the lab called and told this to me this on a job with a little smaller PDs and a larger eyesize... Kind of embarassing when the job keeps on breaking at the lab and I call to figure out what's going on and they tell me what were you thinking!?! LOL.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    4. What type of lens would you recommend for someone who has this Rx:

OD: plano
    +2.50 add OU
    FT-35, CR39, nice AR treatment!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Boo.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    FT-35, CR39, nice AR treatment!
    You neophyte! The only way to fill that Rx is with an Ultex, in glass! ( Jezz…These young, whipper snappers, with their new fangled lens designs and mumbo jumbo “coatings”….Opticianry’s gone to hell..)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Guess I'm just a little gun shy after the lab called and told this to me this on a job with a little smaller PDs and a larger eyesize... Kind of embarassing when the job keeps on breaking at the lab and I call to figure out what's going on and they tell me what were you thinking!?! LOL.
    Meh, sounds like a problem with the lab, not you.

Thread Information