Thread: CL and Sunglasses

Bad address email on file

CL and Sunglasses

I have been wearing a Ciba Focus Toric soft lens in one eye for the last two months. What I like about the lens is the comfort (I forget that I am even wearing it) and sharpness of vision.

Last week, I bought sunglasses and whenever I have the sunglasses on for more that 30 minutes, the contact lens starts to get uncomfortable. Even after taking the sunglasses off, the discomfort continues throughout the day.

My eye doctor has never heard of anything like this. Any ideas?

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I'm intrigued. What's the makeup of the sunglasses? Lense material etc...
    I've worn c/l's and sunglasses for a couple years and no problems.

Bad address email on file
    The sunglasses are Bolle

The frame is made of Hydralon (made from a special hydration process invented by Bollé. Bollé saturates the nylon material to retain moisture, ensuring resiliency and long life. Nylon frames are virtually unbreakable, thus they are the choice of today's sports active consumer.)

The Lens is TNG Gun ("Neutral density grey lens with metallic silver mirror. Provides true color definition. #13%/34%)

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The only thing that comes to mind is that if the style features a ventilated nosepad or lens which is used on a lot of sports frames now days to prevent fogging.
    Perhaps the airflow through the glasses is drying your contacts out. If this is the case then I would reccomend drops. If it is not then I'm totally stumped.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Does wearing the sunglasses without the contacts have any effect on your eye? If so look for an allergy to fumes (polymers) released by sunglasses (frame or lens).

Chip

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Interesting point Chip. One of our opticians told me a story of a lady he dispensed transitions to. Apparently her sensitivity to silver made wearing the transistion unbearable. This was the conclusion. It couldn't be proven but there are always wierd anomylous cases.

Thread Information