Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walmart

OptiBoard Novice
    Being a Walmart VC manager, I can tell you how many happy customers we have because of the remote tracers. The main objective of this machine isn't only because we have removed our "one hour hurry up lets get em a quick pair of glasses" edgers out, but many of our customers simply want new lenses and to reuse their current frame. Now, we simply pop out the lenses, trace that frame (which allows for a perfect fit) and pop the lenses back in and in 7-10 days (sometimes shorter, just depending on RX) we give them a call telling them to stop in for 5 min while we pop the new lenses in. I have not had a single customer complain to me about coming back. When we had the edgers in the stores, we could only do single vision, simple rx's, in one hour anyway. Anyone with a bifocal, high astigmatism, or very hyper or myopic had to come back a second time to pick them up once the lenses came in. Then they had to sit there while we used the frame to cut the lenses. This was usually 30-60 min and since we had the frame they couldn't even see to read while they waited. Remote tracers are definately a plus!!

Jenni

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Don't Kid Yourselves.........................

Quote Originally Posted by mrba

Optical is one of the lowest customer satifaction businesses just because of all of the things that can go wrong... I don't think Walmart will be able to sustain optical if it is a loss leader....

PS. Eddie G that was the funniest thing I have ever read!
    I just mentioned on the Luxottica thread that in the near future the optical retail business will be fully computerized and automatized when the Essilors, Hoyas and Zeiss'es have achieved their takeover goals of optical wholesale labs.

There will be no more need for specialized optical retailera. All will be neede is today's WAL-Mart setup. Sales will be made with the exact measurements of computerized instruments that will pass on the order to the lab and then when the job comes back, give it to customer.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I hear alot of people bashing Walmart's quality of products, but if I'm not mistaken they're promoting the Essilor Nikon package at many (if not all) locations.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by IC20_20
    Being a Walmart VC manager, I can tell you how many happy customers we have because of the remote tracers. The main objective of this machine isn't only because we have removed our "one hour hurry up lets get em a quick pair of glasses" edgers out, but many of our customers simply want new lenses and to reuse their current frame. Now, we simply pop out the lenses, trace that frame (which allows for a perfect fit) and pop the lenses back in
    Jenni
    A service that encourages people to re use their old frame is not one i would reccomend. Also as zyl frames get older they lose their elastomers, consequently as you heat the old frame up to insert the lenses there is a good chance of it breaking. How happy will your customer be then?
    To find out what,s happening in the UK optical market:
    http://theOptom.com

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    We actually get a lot of referrals from Walmart. If a customer cannot find anything the opticians there tell them to come to us, because we are the best in town. Additionally, if I lose a customer to Walmart 75 percent of the time they are back here for their next pair. We have distinguised ourselves from them. When a customer goes to Walmart and comes out with their frame not being fitted, or their glasses break and are not under warranty, or they have to wait around for service they come out with a bad taste in their mouth. Lets not bad mouth them and instead prove why we are better and why we are more expensive.

Additionally, like Luxottica we should not shop at Walmart. It drives me nuts when fellow opticians complain about big evil Walmart then they go there after work and shop. If you are going to buy at Walmart make sure you return it. Or just return your regular items to Walmart. I was talking to a Walmart employee who said that one day someone came in with a snow blower with Craftsman clearly marked on the side. Even though that is a product exclusively sold by Sears the customer insisted that they purchased it from Walmart. The employee asked how much the snow blower was to the customer and gave him money for it. They are now using it for their parking lot.

Occupation
    We have seveal Walmart VC's in the area (including IC20 20's) but none of my customers are complaining. Actually when people find out that WM is one of the higher priced opticals in the area they leave in a hurry.

OptiBoard Novice

Smilie how happy will my customer's be?

Of course we discourage re-using a frame. And being ABO certified, I am well aware of the Zyl frames becoming brittle. There are many income fragile people who can not afford a frame as well as people coming in getting new lenses for elderly people who can not make it into the store. I inform my customers of their options and advise them as to what our Dr. and I recommend. Then I listen to what they want. I have gone out of my way to go to nursing homes even to have my patients try on different selection of frames and take measurements. A lot of times these people are satisfied with what they have. Another reason people use the frames again is because they have either damaged the lenses and the frame is not that old, or maybe they have had surgery and the Opthamologist has been changing the rx. And in response to our product... yes, we do have a Nikon lens package as well as all of the other top brands. (i.e. Zeiss, Essilor Natural, Varilux, etx)
    Gotta love that Walmart smiley!!

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by ikon44

A service that encourages people to re use their old frame is not one i would reccomend. Also as zyl frames get older they lose their elastomers, consequently as you heat the old frame up to insert the lenses there is a good chance of it breaking. How happy will your customer be then?
    When reading a statement as the above one, I wonder where sanity has gone in the optical trade.

Are you guy's just out for the mighty dollarand forget the basics of the profession?

We are supposed to be tradesmen that have the know how of the profession in all aspects. Doing a cut and grind job into an old frame is one of the basic manipulations of the trade.

No wonder that people are looking for better and cheaper deals if you only recommend new frames at all times. Shame on you. :hammer:

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    When reading a statement as the above one, I wonder where sanity has gone in the optical trade.

Are you guy's just out for the mighty dollarand forget the basics of the profession?

We are supposed to be tradesmen that have the know how of the profession in all aspects. Doing a cut and grind job into an old frame is one of the basic manipulations of the trade.

No wonder that people are looking for better and cheaper deals if you only recommend new frames at all times. Shame on you. :hammer:
    I do not think I have anything to be ashamed about Chris, if a patient wants a reglaze into an old frame, it is usually because THAT IS THE ONLY PAIR THEY HAVE ..
    I think you would agree that a -6.00 myope should have more than one pair of spectacles, also you are doing them a disservice by putting a pair of lenses into a frame with limited life span.
    Most practices charge a little extra for doing a reglaze because of the risk of a broken frame , these days saying to them that it is at their own risk does
    not cut it.
    In my practice I have a good range of frames with lens inclusive prices I offer
    these to my clients that want a reglaze as the cost to the client will be the
    same as a reglaze. I might make a little bit less on the deal but:

1 I know my client is using a pair of specs that will last them.

2 my client has now got an "emergency" pair of specs .

3 I am happy that my client has had good advice.

A final point, most people wanting a reglaze for financial reasons, probably got a cheap far east frame last time.. do you really think these frames are worth reglazing...

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    ikon44, about 80% of our clients are repeat pts. we carry excellent frames and the selling point on them is that they will last a while, therefore we do a lot of lens only orders, because the pts frame is likely in quite excellant condition, most pts have at least their last rx as a back up, and most have rx sunwear. we do our own in house finish work, could do trace and transmit, but a great deal of our work is rimless drill orders, and we do a lot of custom shapes. there are many WM Vision Centers in our market, and a couple Sams Opticals. mostly when I see pts with WM glasses, they are in frames that I would sell to anyone I cared about. And certainly, everyone doesn't have the financial advantage of affording the best, but even many people in budget situations have a high priority on their eyewear. several years ago, it was a tough ssell, financially, for a pt to get a titanium frame and AR PAL lenses, the prices were unheard of, today, the pts know that these glasses cost what they cost...they just budget for it.

Occupation

Smilie

here in the uk people have a tendency to only own 1 pair and will hold onto
    them till they fall apart.
    I have no objection to reglazing an existing frame provided it is of sufficient quality to stand another pair of lenses.
    I was just trying to point out that it is not always in the clients best interest
    to reglaze, and that this opinion was nothing to do with making more money out
    of the client.
    i guess prescription sunnies are a neccesity in texas, but when you are lucky
    to get 2 weeks of consecutive sunshine, it is not as much a priority here
    sigh....

Occupation

Cheap Far East....................

Quote Originally Posted by ikon44

A final point, most people wanting a reglaze for financial reasons, probably got a cheap far east frame last time.. do you really think these frames are worth reglazing...
    All frames today are cheap Far East products for you information.

Frame manufacturers do NOT make frames anymore. They buy and re-sell at tremendous markups.

Many of the well known European manufacturers already belong to the Chinese giants and more are beeing bought up.

I am not against trying to sell a full new job, frames and lenses including. But I can NOT understand that a optician can refuse to re-glaze a used frame if it does not fall apart. In my eyes, that is greed.

Occupation
    chris are you saying that all frames from the far east are of identical quality ?
    for your own information we have a company here called ALGHA, who manufacture their own frames here in the UK they do a range called saville row
    which is made from rolled gold. John Lennon was probably their most famous wearer.
    I never refuse a reglaze if the frame is up to it, however clients dont always know if they have a problem.
    I have had several clients who had severe skin problems on their face and nose
    who did not realise the plating was coming off the frame and causing a nickel allergy and yes these people did want a reglaze, they changed their minds when I showed them what the frame was doing to their face.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Refusing to reglaze into a POF is not greed, it's just plain bad business, and breaks down any goodwill your office may have.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns
    Refusing to reglaze into a POF is not greed, it's just plain bad business, and breaks down any goodwill your office may have.
    I have never said that i will refuse to do a reglaze, just that if i feel the frame
    is too old or of poor condition, I will show the patient what is wrong with it,
    and let them decide what they want to do.

Occupation

Gold Filled....Gold plated.......Gold coated.........

Robert,

I am that old that when I started in the optical, anything yellow was rolled gold (GF)(gold filled) which was standard in the optical trade.

In the 1960s the French started to gold plate (GP) (electro plate), which was also pretty good and displaced the so called gold filled.

Today's frames are gold colour coated and have never seen any real gold.

Of course there are still some manufacturers as you mention. but that is more the exception and not the standard.

Occupation
    Chris:

You and I must have started at about the same time. I remember almost everything metal being GF, either Yellow or White, and even some solid 14k and 10k. Still get some of the older GF from the Amish, etc. mostly AO, B&L, and Shuron.

Wish they still made them that way.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    Robert,

I am that old that when I started in the optical, anything yellow was rolled gold (GF)(gold filled) which was standard in the optical trade.

In the 1960s the French started to gold plate (GP) (electro plate), which was also pretty good and displaced the so called gold filled.

Today's frames are gold colour coated and have never seen any real gold.

Of course there are still some manufacturers as you mention. but that is more the exception and not the standard.
    Chris, Algha use the GP electro plate process, that the french ,( i think l, amy)
    started in the sixties, they are pretty good frames and would certainly stand
    a reglaze, they will also do an actual rolled gold frame by a special order.
    i too am old enough to remember when gold frames actually had some gold in
    them.

to clear up a final point, although i post as IKON my name is Jim, Robert A Heinlein is a great American science fiction writer who, s work i have followed
    since i was a "wee Laddie" (i am scottish as well ), he wrote many famous works including starship troopers, stranger in a strange land and starship troopers. he also wrote have space suit will travel If you hava a 10 year old kid in your life get him this book it is the finest juvenile SF novel ever written
    :cheers:
    Last edited by ikon44; 07-26-2004 at 03:16 PM.

Thread Information