Thread: Optical shop

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Optical shop

I am looking for advice. I am thinking of opening my own optical shop. Does anyone on here work for or own a shop without a doctor. How does that seem to work for you? Thinking about taking insurance but am not sure on that one either. I welcome any advice you are willing to give.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am not an owner, but just thinking of a few things. How is your location? Are there a lot of other optical shops in the area? Do they have an OD on site? Do you think you could work with a few Dr only locations and get referrals? Just something to think about before scouting out locations etc.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How long have you been an optician?

Can you afford to not make a profit for a couple of years?

Buy a subscription to this site and read in the closed to the public Pro's Forum many threads where most any question you may think of is discussed by those with decades of experience.

And welcome to Optiboard!
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 03-28-2022 at 09:28 AM. Reason: tweak...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sher70 View Post
    I am looking for advice. I am thinking of opening my own optical shop. Does anyone on here work for or own a shop without a doctor. How does that seem to work for you? Thinking about taking insurance but am not sure on that one either. I welcome any advice you are willing to give.

My store opened 13 years ago, and I have never had a doctor. I have also been profitable every single year. You just have to know your area and find a niche for which there is a local need.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't think you will be able to be on VSP without a doctor owning over half of the practice. Because I couldn't be on VSP I would probably just forgo all insurances unless there is a very large specific company in your area that does not use VSP. When I worked for the evil empire I worked in a city where the largest employer had Eyemed. 50% of our eyemed claims came from that company so in that case it might make sense to be on an insurance.

Definitely agree with Jefe, find something to focus on in your community or wherever you want to open up your shop that will be unique and fill a need that isn't currently being filled or filled well.

OptiBoard Professional Excel-Lentes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have an optical shop. Do your research on your target customer and their buying trends and insurance coverages. You would need something unique or special to attract customers to come to your location and leave the doctor’s office with their prescription. Don’t fly blind without a specific target. I wouldn’t count on getting referrals from doctors as they seem pretty keen on “capture rates”.

I do have a doctor available for exams and take a few insurance plans. There are serious pros and cons with both but it would really depend on the mechanics or logistics in your area (OD; Optician leasing or employment legalities, ability to become insurance providers, etc.). I do get quite a few outside prescriptions from a couple of insurance plans that seem crappy on the surface but the customers were great and became regulars.

Maybe ask yourself what aspects of the eyewear market in your area would you not like as a consumer. Things like boring frame choices, assembly line service, high prices, inconvenient hours or location, poor service and quality. Then flesh out some ideas on how to bring those corrections to life. Just some thoughts to get started. Best of luck.

Peace and health

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have been an optician for 16 years. We live in a town about 160,000 people, with a few optical chain stores. I am just wondering about all of your locations and other competition?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    If I were going to do it, I'd go:
    1. Unique and quality frames
    2. Superb optical solutions (lenses, designs)
    3. Personalized service
    4. Pampered environment
    5. No VCPs (out-of-network reimbursement for the clients)

That's a can't miss formula.

Thread Information