Thread: Shoplifting! Argh!

Bad address email on file optigoddess's Avatar

Redhot Jumper Shoplifting! Argh!

I received an email to keep "heads up" on a shoplifting ring in our area. Apparently, there seems to be an odd "coincidence" of the same exact frames being listed the VERY NEXT DAY on EBAY!

Grrrr.....

Anyway, while the Portland optical market deals with this specific incident, I thought it might be good to do a review/list of shoplifting prevention techniques...please add your best tips!

1) Good customer service is always the best possible deterrent because the customer isn't left alone! Often, there is a "tag team" where one customer "destracts" the associate & the other does the shoplifting!

and the next tip will be....

Karen

OptiBoard Professional Excel-Lentes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi,

I have a wireless camera/moniter positioned so If I'm busy in the lab I can keep an eye on the customers in front. I have caught and retrieved several frames this way. Also, If one person starts asking questions and the other starts trying on frames I always go and assist them with their choices. If you leave them alone they will steal something.

Always keep every space on the boards filled so you recognize very quickly if something is missing. In our store, I keep the value frames nearest the door as this is where I see people trying to steal from first. I have caught people risking their freedom over a $3 frame.

The worst type of shoplifter is the outgoing, personable one. They seem very interested in purchasing and may even show an Rx. After they leave, you notice they have snatched some frames.
    You always need to be on your toes.

Just in case you all think I'm just paranoid, our store is located in an area where there is a fair amount of crime so we have to be prepared.

Brendan

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Shoplifting is a problem in most any retail environment,

However, shoplifting is one the easiest forms of inventory SHRINKAGE to controll as per some of the good recommendations already given.

Most large retailers biggest problem, believe it or not is the lack of internal shrinkage controls. This is much more difficult than controlling shoplifting since employees and associates must be trusted to execute their normal professional responsibilities. These folks know what frame and/or lenses wouldn't be noticed gone, Misc. charges for small repairs or accessores that never make it to being entered into the daily sales records, and etc. Althouth some of these may appear petty, once a person knows they can get away with it, their takings usually increase to the point where it begins to make a impact on profitability.

If a retailer thinks their frames are only taken by shoplifters, they need to rethink amd put just as much emphasis on internal shrinkage controll.

My 2 pennies
    Kevin

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Today I had an elderly couple trying to remove the nosepads off of one of our frames on the board. Seem's the wife had one silicone pad break off. I said to the couple I have replacement pads. The pair costs $4.00. They then gave the glasses to me. Couldn't believe it!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Good idea to have only one entrance/exit to the optical if that is possable.

If you normally don't get alot of foot traffic but have this person come in from nowhere with there girl friend, keep 2 eyes open.
    If they show you an Rx from someone you don't recognize, really pay attention to their movements.

Say hi to EVERYONE and make sure you look them in the eye. This is known to throw off shoplifters.

Just a few ideas...

ad

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Buy yourself a security camera system at Sam's (around $ 400.00) install yourself where all areas of display are covered. Put monitor (you need not record) up where patrons can see that they are always on camera (not important if you see security monitor, just so that they see that they are monitored). Your troubles will go away.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They also sell fake camera domes. Basically, a tinted plastic dome with a red LCD light inside it that mounts on the ceiling.

Outside of keeping all of the spaces on your frame boards filled as Excel-Lentes has mentioned, keep the number of frames in your displays consistent as well. If you know there should be three frames on every shelf, you will notice if one is missing.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Something that worked really well for me when I worked as a loss prevention manager was not only saying hi to everyone, but also make a comment on something you have seen them pick up or keep coming back to...

For example, you see the person trying on several pairs of sunglasses, including some Serengetti's. "You know, the amber color in the Serengetti line really helps with dusk/dawn driving conditions since it increases the contrast. Though, if you do a lot of outdoor activities, you may find a polarized lens, such as with the Maui Jims would help with glare even more. "

Now not only do they know you know they are there, they know you have seen what they have been looking at. I don't know how many people I got to drop merchandise they were attempting to steal by making sure I mentioned the product they were looking at.

Mirrors are a great tool as well. Working for a larger LensCrafters we have a 1/3 Sun store. Which means we have fixtures that block direct line of sight into the sun area. By having a couple of strategically placed mirrors, I can actually be on the other side of the store checking out glasses, or doing repairs, and still be able to see what is happening on the other side of the displays.

Unfortunately though, Pakev is right, and most shrink come from internal sources. Some through honest mistakes, not filling out paperwork properly, not documenting any gratis product, etc. Then there is out and out theft. Popular ones are not ringing up minor repairs, or accessories. Ways I have seen people try to track how much they hace collected in sales not rung in is through using pennies, paperclips, and other like items and placing them in an un/under used section of the till. Another popular one is the fake return... Internal theft is generally more costly, and more difficult to track and prove.

If anyone needs any tricks on how to bust people, hide cameras etc...let me know :) Most of you would be really suprised at where you can hide a camera at.

Cassandra

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Busting people is not the objective. Do not hide the camera, do not use fake cameras. Let them see the camera, above all let them see that they are on the monitor no matter were they are in the display room! The object of the game is: Not to loose merchandise, not to have theives remain in or return to your store! If they see they are on camera, if they believe that any crime they perpetrate will be on tape (whether it is or not) the crime will not occur! They will leave and not return to your store! This is the real object of the exercise. You are not wanting to appear at some sort of merchants neigborhood watch and tell them how many times you have had to prosceute. You want to keep your merchandise in your store until you sell it.

Chip

Of course an alternative method is to have a large blood stain on the carpet with white lettering stating: "Our last shoplifter!"

Occupation
    Optometrist

electronic tags

Last summer i worked for a large optical retailer in a busy shopping mall. When i joined. the theft problem was as bad as 5 frames a day. But the worst thing was that it was only Timberland and Hugo Boss frames.

We used frame locks, but this did not totally eliminate the problem, just reduce it. Then we used electronic tags, and we didn't have a single theft in the next 7 weeks.

Simple points if you only want to use locks and not electronic tags are things like

- making sure the frames are actually locked
    - making sure the locks are adequate. If the frame can be teased out, and you need a different lock.
    - Keep the keys well away. There is nothing worse than the shoplifter having a copy of the key
    - Entrust the keys to individual members of staff. This is really effective at reducing both external and internal shrinkage.

Working towards improving staff morale should go a long way in preventing selfish actions of the small minority.

If you suspect an internal problem, make the staff aware. It may just deter the perpetrator from doing it again because the rest of the staff will now be extra vigilant towards their colleages. Not the best of situations, but this is why staff morale needs to be high in the first place.

yahya
    curiosity killed the cat...well, in that case i should be dead soon

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a sign on a mirror next to my sunglasses that reads "Smile you are on camera"! At least it lets them know that big brother is watching.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with you Chip, you want to prevent Shoplifting and not prosecute..

The little aside on cameras was for if you think you have an internal theft issue. In my experience, most of your high dollar losses come from internal issues. Not only in most consumable retailers, but also in our business as well.

I have seen people get busted for hiding breakages (looks like shrink because the lenses aren't taken out of inventory), ringing up fake gift certificates, fake returns, fake after the fact discounts, stealing money, taking frames and the clever guy who would sell glasses from the trunk of his car and make them when he was working by himself on his opening shifts.

Internal theft hits harder in all areas, the loss of trust for associates and the monetary values are generally higher.

Cassandra

We just started keeping a count log of the high end frames - for example...brand x 24 on the boards, 3 back stock....

we keep a tally sheet by the register to "hashmark" what is sold during that day & then at night, we count what we have on the boards & back stock again...

Also, we are trying not to leave the floor unattended to do repairs, check on orders etc.

Our home office Loss Prevention department sent us the most obnoxious alarms for the high-end sunglasses - they almost sound like a "phaser" from the old Star Trek series....so, if they are opened "unexpectedly" (or "jimmied") there is a loud obnoxious noise....

Karen

Excel-Lentes makes a good point, also - mentioning that holes need to kept filled!

When we don't have enough product to keep the section filled, we have either placed the store's business cards in the empty spot or a card that read something like: "this spot will soon be filled with exciting new product - check back soon" (or something like that...) or ... simply a "brand" card...and I have even used the vendor cases to fill spots....

Karen

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just heard this one! You know the 7-11 BIG GULP cups...well they GULP frames. Seems as though it is happening in Southern Ca.

Thread Information