Thread: I got to meet Pete!!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

I got to meet Pete!!

So there I was in San Diego, minding my own business and setting up for an ABO seminar we co-sponsored with Varilux and Transitons and who should be V-lux's featured speaker but Mr Pete Hanlin!!! After gettng an earful from my very lovely boss about Crizal turn time he did a great job of explaining to our group about bifocal conversion. (and got a plug in for licensure and being involved in our societies etc. I might add-you go Pete!!) It was very cool to meet another Optiboarder in person. We are everywhere!!
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Karen,
    I hope there are no residual side effects showing from your meeting Pete.

I haven't yet had the pleasure to meet him, but have spoken to him on the phone and had e-converstaions and he seems like a great guy. And.....we think we might be distant cousins from hundreds of generations back......:D
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter varmint's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well Cindy, I think when my Aunt traced our Irish heritage, she found out all the Irish are related if you go back enough generations!!! I asked her about our genealogy & she just said, "you don't want to know".

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    varmint said:
    Well Cindy, I think when my Aunt traced our Irish heritage, she found out all the Irish are related if you go back enough generations!!! I asked her about our genealogy & she just said, "you don't want to know".

You know, I am sure about the combination of liquor and lack of inhibitions! I am sure all the Irish are related!
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Know Pete, Met in person

Great that you met Pete he is a fantastic person. Know him about 9 years. Good friend and always willing to listen.! Essilor chose a dynamite individual and again so did I many years back.:D

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    So, I'm in San Diego minding my own business and getting ready to speak at this seminar, when- BAM. Up walks Jamie Lee Curtis and says "Hi, I'm Karen with a small 'k' from OptiBoard!" (I'll have to figure out a way to post a pic of Karen, and you'll understand how one could mistake her for the actress...)

I agree that it is always interesting meeting people from OptiBoard! Somehow, one just feels this instant connection as a co-inhabitant of THE place for ophthalmic professionals. Furthermore, it seems that each time I meet an OptiBoarder in person, I am more convinced that OptiBoarders are some of the most awesome people!

Great meeting you, "Karen with a small 'k'!" :D

PS- San Diego is a beautiful place, and I saw the "HOLLYWOOD" sign today on my way through Los Angelos. I'm told we also passed near the place where Reginald Denny (that unfortunate truck driver in the LA riots) was dragged out of his truck. Oh, and earlier I saw F-15s flying in and out of Miramar, and passed by the Presidio, and... Oh well, suffice to say California is an interesting place!

OptiBoard rules!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Cindy Hamlin said:
    You know, I am sure about the combination of liquor and lack of inhibitions! I am sure all the Irish are related!

Actually, this does explain most of Georgia, West Virginia and South Boston.....

I met Pete last Fall at the POF in Lauderdale. Sat through his Medical Errors class........Than God Bill Johnston kept going out for Bloody Marys.........but after hearing about the "Hamlin Cocktail"................
    Last edited by EyeManFla; 05-18-2003 at 11:35 PM.

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello Karen,

I too have met Pete. He is a great guy (even though he does pass out after drinking too much; which is rude since everyone knows that you go throw up and then continue on with the conversation, but you don't pass out ;)

How's California going so far? I think the last time you and I talked we were discussing the deregulation of the electricity retailers in your state. Presently it would seem old Gray Davis is trying to tax you folks into oblivion all the while cutting back on everything to hopefully soften a serious state shortfall. I hope that no one suffers too badly for his incompitence.

Take care and hopefully we'll run into each other some day as well.

TTFN

Darris C.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    First, there is a difference between falling asleep on the hotel bed and passing out- and I did the former, thank you very much!

Second, while in CA someone told me they are currently trying to recall (i.e., take out of office) their good governor. Of course, I also heard enough to realize that I was definitely a minority in CA (as a Republican, I mean). Hmmmm, I wonder if they have any quotas on hiring conservatives?

Occupation
    Hey Darris!!!! I just signed a recall petition myself for Joe Davis (his real name is Joseph, his grandma nicknamed him Gray-I like to call him Beige!) My son's music program at school just got cut thanks to Mr Tofu. Things here are good besides taxation city and workmans comp rates going through the roof. The sun is shining and the weather is perfect so I have that to comfort myself with while the knuckleheads run amok in Sacramento-ask me about the car tax and we can really have a lively dicsussion :hammer:
    Pete-I actually know a few Republicans out here besides myself and my hubby. We are defintely the minority but I love a good challenge so I'll stick around. Let me know when you are out this way again. Did you make it to the lab the day after our seminar???
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile I knew that would drag Pete out.

Heya Pete,

I hope you got my e-mail with the "Texan type" I sent to you. For the record Pete did not pass out (at least that he knows of) and we had a blast.

"Hmmmm, I wonder if they have any quotas on hiring conservatives?"

Only if you are a female, minority, disabled, dwarf, recovering drug addict with AIDS, Democratic platform thinking "conservative on paper" Republican. Otherwise you don't stand a chance of being included in the quota criteria :D

Take care dude.

Hey karen,

Great news about signing to tar and feather Gray-Out. He's an idiot; so much so that he doesn't even understand that he has screwed up as badly as he has. Oh well.

What is this car tax? I've heard very little about it other than the term itself.

Darris C.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    karen,
    I thought I recalled you being a conservative minded gal, but I wasn't about to chance it during our meeting in L.A. (One of the accounts I visited mentioned he didn't want to boycott France, he wanted to boycott Texas- cause he can't stand the President... I was biting my tongue so hard I think it bled a little).

Yep, I made it out to Collard-Rose. Considering the work you guys put out, you have everything condensed into a very efficient space. I've seen labs that are twice as big (floor space wise) putting out the same amount of work. I just hope you have enough room to accommodate all the new business I'm sure you will continue to bring in.

PS- You REALLY need to do something about that welcome mat at your front door though. Do me a favor and wipe some mud on it next time you go in the lab (just kidding, its a cool looking mat- wish it had our name on it, though).

Darris,
    Glad we finally got the difference between passing out and falling asleep straight! Yep, I got the missive on Mr. Texan (along with a disturbingly detailed description on how to assassinate someone without leaving any evidence... is there something you'd care to share with the group?).

:D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Umm Pete...

"Yep, I got the missive on Mr. Texan (along with a disturbingly detailed description on how to assassinate someone without leaving any evidence... is there something you'd care to share with the group?)."

If I shared anything with the group I'd have to liquidate...er...I mean reeducate all those that were privy to my knowledge. Just as a precaution. "assassinate" is such and ugly word Pete. You should be using the more politically correct term of "early retirement." :) Hey, you wanted to know! :) If it makes you feel any better, I've taught you everything you now know on the subject but not all that I know. ;) You never did ask about the long range equipment and preferrences. That's the fun one.

I knew karen was a conservative, why didn't you? Plus you should never be worried about your beliefs and what others think of those beliefs just don't ram them down peoples throats like some tend to do. Also politics should never be the mainstay of conversation. You should always start out with a good course on the propper way to institute "early retirement" for those in need of such :D Or perhaps, and this is just a suggestion, your conversation could be about something as touching as publicly tarring and feathering Gray Davis for his total lack of ability.

"(One of the accounts I visited mentioned he didn't want to boycott France, he wanted to boycott Texas- cause he can't stand the President... I was biting my tongue so hard I think it bled a little)."

If it's any consolation We, speaking as a Texan, have boycotted all things Californian liberal anyway and We did it first. So that there's no confusion we have only boycotted all things Californian liberal, but still have an open door policy to everything Californian conservative. Gray Davis isn't even allowed to visit here for any reason, warranted or not :) He can call on the phone but only for 10 minutes at a time since we're busy folks and don't have time to be waisting air on him :D

Take care ya'll,

Darris C.

Occupation

Re: I knew that would drag Pete out.

Darris Chambless said:
    Heya Pete,

Hey karen,

What is this car tax? I've heard very little about it other than the term itself.

Darris C.
    Well, it's just a little proposal to TRIPLE our car registration fees because someone can't seem to curtail his spending-this is another try at it, the last time the SUV people got together and made a bunch of noise-complete with a caravan to Sacramento from LA and called their representatives over and over and over on the phone and stuffed their email boxes full so Gray said he wouldn't sign it. But with all the budget shortfalls and being faced with the possiblity of having to let go all these firefighters and policemen, and the sheriff having to let a bunch of convicts out early..what else can he do?? ( I need a font that properly addresses the amount of sarcasm I am typing this with...) Of course this will also triple the registration of all the government idiots that drive big fat expensive cars that are subsidized by our taxes-but we are picking up the tab for that so what do they care??? Are they driving little hybrid fuel efficient cars or smaller sedans that are not so expensive??? Of course not. AAAUUUUGGGGGHHHHH!!! :o :angry: :shiner:

Pete, glad you made it to the lab. We just moved into that building in December and we already could use more room but they have it set up really well. Boycott Texas??? What a ridiculous thing to say! I wonder if they realize how lucky they are to live in a counrty where they can express their opinion about my second favorite president without getting an "early retirement" if you know what I mean;)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Yes karen...

It is amazing how many elected officials cut NECESSARY spending to shore up unnecessary spending and then spend twice as much as they were originally trying to save in the first place. I really need a job where I can make my living spending other peoples money. It looks like fun, the perks are great and it obviously requires little or no experience ;) I can see it now "Darris for Governor of California." Can you imagine how that would be?

Aid "Mr. Governor, the environmental groups spokes people are here to see you."

Me "Send them in."

Them "Mr. Governor we are appauled at the idea of building new power plants in protected areas. Don't you realize the ramification to the environment this will have or do you even care?"

Me "Okay hoss, back the b**ch wagon up just a bit and sit your Tofu eatin' rearend down! Let me 'splain this to you in terms you can understand. I like the environment, in fact I live in the same environment you do. I breathe the same air, drink the same water, eat some of the same foods, etc. But my priority is the people of this state. They have needs too, if you hadn't notice, not the least of which is power for their homes and businesses."

"But Mr. Governor..."

"Did I say you could talk and did it look like I was finished talking?!?! I didn't think so. Anyway...As I was saying before I was so rudely interupted, I have to fix the mess that your former Governor left for all of you and I'm sorry but I could give a rats a** about your spotted owls, snakes, buzzards or whatever when people are burdened with outrageous debt and nothing to show for it. The people of this state have REAL problems that were heaped on them by small, insignificant ,self serving groups like yourselves. I have no doubt that you care about the environment but what about the people? Do you care about them too or as much, because you're some of those very people? Wake up and smell the coffee. YOU, your politicians and your ilk have been nothing more than a detriment to the lives of the rest of this state and it has to end. AND I'M THAT END! Deal with it."

Them "Mr. Governor, you haven't heard the last out of us!"

Me "And I care because...? Look, you do what you have to and I'll do what I have to for a much larger number of people than you will. When it's all said and done we'll let the people decide at the polls. If they don't like what I've done they can vote me out, since that's what the ballot box is for in case you've forgotten. Until then grow up and get the **** out of my office."

Them "Well!!!" Leaving in a huff.

Me "Ya'll take care and come again if I can help you with anything else."

No, I think I would enjoy that just a little too much :) I don't even think I could get through a meeting with the anti-SUV croud. I would be laughing so hard the whole time I wouldn't hear a word they said and I'd end up banning the anti's for being harmful to the environment and life as we know it :D

Well, take care and I hope that you don't get the tax burden being proposed.

Darris C.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hold it folks!!!

Don't believe a word he said....He's been out in the sun too long!:D

Nice to see you posting again Dr. Death, we could have used you a few days ago during the recent lapse in manners by some of our members!:D

hj

PS to Karen,

Didn't you know that Darris is the Optiboarder that most members want to meet in person?
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Darris, if your hat is in the ring you got my vote.
    Bill

Occupation

Supreme Dictator

Darris, didn't I try to nominate you for something a while back??? If it weren't so darn humid in Texas we'd definitely think about living there. Maybe I can build a biosphere :bbg:

P.S. found this website with all kinds of cool swag - republicanmarket.com. bought my dad the "absolute Republican" T shirt. You should check it out!

P.S. to Bill- Riverside??? Do I know you??

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Karen:

It's only humid in Texas near the coast and East Texas. In west Texas they don't even have towels. It's so dry they are dry before they can flip the shower curtin open. (It takes one section, 640 acres to raise one head of range cattle.)

My first impression on the way to San Angelo once I got west of Abeline was: "God someone dropped the bomb ten years ago and no one bothered to re-plant."

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

You're all too kind.

Chip's description of West Texas is pretty accurate. Presently our 7 year draught has lasted 9 years + so all who would be willing please say a little prayer for rain in this area. It's been pretty bad around here.

Thank you Bill for your vote of confidence but unfortunately I don't think I would ever get that far in politics since I tend to speak my mind. Pandering is not a strong suit of mine by any stretch and most here will tell you that ;)

I can't remember what you were trying to nominate me for karen but whatever it was I accept. :) But if you want to move to Texas I'd suggest you move to the Austin area. Several reasons for that too. First it's beautiful hill country, second they have water and third since so many IT and telecommunications companies have tanked (two of Austins main stay business/employers) property values have come way down in price to affordable levels. And don't worry, we have lots of airconditioning around these parts. ;)

If we don't get any rain around here I may have to look elsewhere for work by default. Can I come work for you if that happens? :) Ira Dean, the base player for Trick Pony, is wearing my custom built flame sunglasses so that's my claim to fame. Does that carry any weight on a resume? I didn't think so :) But Ira is a nice guy.

Finally to my dear friend Harry Jilson,

If one needs my help one need only ask. I received a message from you once regarding a problem but when I went to the thread it didn't make any sense and I responded to you on that thread accordingly. I had assumed that portions may have been edited by the poster or been removed by others so I couldn't tell what the problem was. I never heard back from you on it either so I figured it was all taken care of. If you need my help give me a shout and I'll see what I can do.

Take care everyone,

Darris C.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: You're all too kind.

Darris Chambless said:
    Chip's description of West Texas is pretty accurate. Presently our 7 year draught has lasted 9 years + so all who would be willing please say a little prayer for rain in this area. It's been pretty bad around here.
    Darris C.
    Darris, We would love to share some of our rain with you. This is from our local news channel NBC12 in Richmond:

*The highest May Rainfall total at the Richmond Airport since 1948 was 8.87" back in 1972. After 0.19" of rain yesterday, the monthly total is now 7.75" (the second highest total since 1948).*

We've only had 6 dry days out of 27 (That's 22%)
    They say in VA there are about 70 roads closed due to high water and there is more rain in the forecast for the next 2 days. We have only seen the sun for a few hours here and there.
    ~Cindy

Thread Information