Thread: Well it's started....................

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Well it's started....................

One of my larger MD accounts last week implemented new "HIPPA compliance requirements" for reps.

Prior to going into the dispensary I have to visit the front office and wait in line with all of the doctors patients to receive a "visitors badge" Only then can I enter the dispensary for my sales call. At the end of the visit I get to check out in the same line

Additionally all of the doors are locked making it much more difficult to manange sample bags and display materials. I cannot believe there are no exceptions for service technicians and reps. I can assure you that the cost of medical care will increase due to these new requirements. I can see it now on the bill. A 5% increase in fees has been included for this office to comply with new government regulations.

Anyone else now have to put up with this government mandated nonsense? Or is this office just a little over board. So far its the only one I have run into.

If not, how in the heck are OD offices located in malls going to comply?

Please I am not interested in a lengthy post regarding all HIPPA compliance regs, just an overview.

Rep

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

unusual...

Rep:

It does seem unusual that you would have to be treated as a patient while showing your wares. A sales rep would be out of the patient's loop, so to speak. You are not receiving priviledged information on specific patients.

The labs that we use are free from the constraints of HIPPA. Otherwise we would probably have to go to a numbered system to keep names private.

Bob V.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I believe I have a fair understanding of the HIPAA regulations, and this particular office's implementations do seem to reach far beyond that necessary to comply.

The only reason I can fathom for their restriction of entrance to their facility is to protect access to patient records. However, I don't think HIPAA would hold them accountable for someone sneaking into the office and stealing a record (unless it could be shown that the practice was negligent in practicing reasonable care).

HIPAA restricts health professionals from sharing patient information (like names, SS#, and other personal information)unnecessarily. Just as an example of some reasonable actions that an office might implement:

1.) referring to patients by account number instead of name when placing orders with outside laboratories
    2.) restricting release of information regarding patients to only the patient or legal guardian
    3.) discontinuing the use of patient's info for mailing lists when promoting products

and so on...
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Badges? We don't need no stinking...

I sort of like the idea of badges for non-patient visitors. What do you think we could charge for these !!:D

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    1. A 5% increase in patient fees to cover a couple of locks and a $1 visitors badge sounds like someone isn't being truthful. They wanted to raise their charges and used HIPAA as a scapegoat.

2. Pete and BobV, HIPAA expressly excludes the practitioner-lab relationship from the Privacy requirements. Since the lab is part of the treatment when producing lenses, it is legit to share PHI such as patient name. At no point does the practitioner have to use numbers instead of names with the lab. Some labs are not covered by HIPAA if they don't do electronic claims submission, but all labs are part of the treatment process, and thus can receive PHI.

3. Frame reps are not probably not considered part of the treatment process. Thus, they have no legitimate need to access PHI, just like the doc's accountant, software consultant, and other vendors. Restricting access to records to only those people who have a legitimate need for the information is a reasonable part of the HIPAA Privacy Regulations. But it certainly sounds like this office has gone a bit overboard. Locking file cabinets would probably be sufficient.

And folks, HIPAA has one P, two A's.
    RT

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Rep,

This MD office is definetly going overboard. As the other posts have mentioned this is not something specifically required through HIPPA regulations.

I work here in an MD practice and we don't have any requirements like that. My wager would be that you will find very few of your accounts going that far. And as time goes on the office you speak of will probably not be doing it themselves.

But hey, as a rep you got to do what you got to do......

:D

ad

Occupation

Thanks

Thank you for all your replies.

So far so good other than that one account.

I'll bet they drop the charade soon.

rep

P. S. I was just speculating regarding the 5%.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter varmint's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree Johns, I think we could do well selling the badges!!!
    I don't know where this office is, but in Arizona it is unlawful to lock the doors during business hours. That is a violation of the fire codes.

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    varmint said:
    I agree Johns, I think we could do well selling the badges!!!
    I don't know where this office is, but in Arizona it is unlawful to lock the doors during business hours. That is a violation of the fire codes.
    That's what I thought as well. It's against fire code here too.

Occupation

locked doors

The doors were locked to prevent entry not exit.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Idea Sales Reps badges!

I got an idea!

Can we charge the Sales Rep for the badge?
    If they insisting on seeing you and showing you the line and you have no interest in their product and /or no intention to buy product from that particular manufacturer.
    How much will be the charge?

Any ideas?

Occupation

Great Idea Lenny!!!

Of course reps would get to charge accounts for those special emergency situations where they haven't EVER purchased anything from you even though you have helped them time after time with discontinued frames, parts, credit problems and so forth.

In addition ALL frames are now full price, no more discounts for Dr, Son, Mom, daughter, wife, mistress, girlfriend, friend of the family, and other assorted misfits wanting a discount from WHOLESALE!!! when the account NEVER PURCHASED THE PRODUCT IN THEIR OFFICE in the first place.

And every time you request an appointment and cancel with less than 24 hours notice there will be a really special charge.

And every time you request an appointment and we show you a full product line and you don't buy ANYTHING there will be a bigger special charge.

And every time you send back the frames YOU PICKED OUT and say " these frames aren't selling" there will be an really extradinary special charge.

I like it already. When can we begin?

Just Kidding - Kinda

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

To Rep!

I think i got you goooooood!:bbg:

I also think that we have to try to be in each other shoes at least once!
    I am personaly will never survive as a sales rep!
    I cant kiss up and say that i will see you again after some of the things you mentioned in your post.

Thats why I am only an optician!

BTW Did they released the Prada line?

OptiBoard Professional Dannyboy's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

going a step further

Hippa compliance seems to be logical but there are certain grey areas that I am somewhat confused. In one seminar it was said that PHI cannot be given to any individual/company who is not a healthcare practioner or participant of the treatment.

In their definitions healthcare practitioner it was defined as a registered health care professional by national or state credentialings. Then it went to say that all participants in treatment of a patient must also be health care professionals and gave the usual pharmacy example in which the doctor can without any consent of the patient release this information to the pharmacists. Fine and dandy up till then. Then I asked about releasing PHI to a source that I am not sure if they are a licensed or registered healthcare professional and the answer was that it was my responsability to verify that the other party was a healthcare professional/participant in the treatment! The man gave the example that dental labs in some areas are not considered to be healthcare practitioners and thus could not get in any way PHI. And if we are not sure of the status of the other party then it was best to code the patients name with a number.

But that at no point we were to give a first and last name....If that is true then how can be take advantage of the manufacturers/distributors of CL downshipping lenses for our patients?

Maybe my poor understanding was due to the subzero temperature of the room...

Dannyboy

Occupation

Lenny

Yep - Raw Nerve - Just kidding of course.

I have been in your shoes ( more than 20 Years)

Have you been in mine?

Rep

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    To Rep!

Yes i was!

I used to sell optical closeouts and overrunsfor at least 50% of wholesale. And i could not understand how to deal with certain people.
    thats why i quit!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile Over kill Rep

Rep: I agree it sounds like over-kill. I just went to the hospital to have some blood work done. All the time I was there, nothing was said to me about Hippa for Hippa or anything about the new Hippa regulations. And this is from a hospital where confindentialality is supposed to be almost TOP-SECRET.:D

Bad address email on file
    JEDIRON, maybe you should report that hospital to the HIPAA police, it'll keep 'em away from us for a while!;)

All the hoopla basically depends on who you've been listening to and how much compliance 'stuff' the people are trying to sell you. We just got in a huge box of (additional) forms that the patients are supposed to fill out. That makes 5 forms so far. (O.D.'s office) I think it's a lot of hooey personally, and our 'informer' is supposed to be one of the more level-headed, non-scare tactics type. If you listen to all that stuff, your whole day will be consumed with compliance issues.

I do like the idea of charging reps to come in...

Joy:D

Thread Information