Thread: Conversion optometry degree course for opticians?

OptiBoard Novice

Stick out tongue Conversion optometry degree course for opticians?

In many countries, qualified and non-qualified opticians offer
    "eye-examination, prescribing, dispensing visual aids" to the public as a results of "market" demand and shortage of graduate optometrists. Many qualified opticians indeed perform a high standard of optometric services and making referrals to GP and ophthalmologists professionally.

Many who qualified with FBDO CL (conferred by ABDO, UK, after gone through 3-4 years of study and past the professional examinations) and have practised optometry for many years with varying level of standards, who are very keen to upgrade and formalise their optometrists status as those 3-4 years optometry degree graduates.

It's disappointing that I don't find (from internet) any college/university conducting such "conversion" degree course for practising qualified opticians, whether full time or distance learning via internet.

Do you know of any institution of higher learning conducting this conversion program?

Alan

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Alan,
    As I understand it there is one university in England that now offers opticians a conversioncourse to become optometrists. They must have the FBDO (CL) qualification to enrol. It is a commercial course I believe.
    There is also a conversion course in South Africa. Our host at the International Opticians Conference (see my last post) was one of the first to complete this course a couple of years ago.

I'll see if I can find the names of the institutions.

Regards
    David

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The British one is Bradford Uni. It's a one year course, with a year of pre-reg afterwards. The first class will start this September, but I read in Optician that the 25 students have already started some classes in ophthamoscopy and retinoscopy. The places have been limited, as more than 25 applied (it may have been about 100, but I'm not sure).
    The downsides? It's VERY full time, something like 40 weeks, and it costs £15,000!

Bad address email on file
    anyone else have info about this topic...in-classroom or via distance education programs??

Bad address email on file

You need honours in CL

You have to be FBDO(HONS)CL advanced contact lens qualif in order to get to 2 year program at Bradford.

Thread Information