Thread: The countdown begins...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The countdown begins...

It's gone by so quickly. My baby girl, Mary Elizabeth Canty is graduating from The College of William and Mary on Sunday. She will receive 2 BA's, one in English and one in Literary and Cultural Studies:Human Performance and Behavior. She is a Benjamin Stoddard Ewell Scholar, one of 40 graduating seniors representing the best in a liberal arts education. Beth will be entering law school at the University of Arizona in August.

I've already started crying, so by Sunday I may need medication. Didn't she just come home from the hospital smelling of baby powder...

You new parents out there, cherish every moment, they're all grown up in the blink of an eye...

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Judy,
    Congrats on a very studious young lady! I am sure she will make you even prouder as she grows than you feel right now!:cheers:
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What a great school to graduate from. She sould do well. Congratulations.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The best is yet to come!

Judy, In spite of a post written by you earlier this morning I was surprised to hear you have one old enough to be graduating from college. She must have been a child prodigy!

With the sadness comes some good news.......GRANDPARENTHOOD !!!! THE BEST!!

Have fun on Sunday!
    harry

Another note to New Parents. Listen well to sister Judith, she knows wherefrom she speaks, and if you don't believe her.....you can believe me! Its the truth, enjoy every minute!
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up I am crying with you

Judy,

Amazing how the years go so quickly. You and your husband should be congratulated for your outstanding support and love.
    You serve as excellent role models.

It is ok to lock yourself in her room and cry. This is not an over and done thing for sure. I marks a chapter that has closed in your life and another opening.

Give her a hug and kiss for me. A big hug and kiss for you and your husband too!

Bev

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How big is the grad class??
    We had to use our cell phones to locate my son in his grad class crowd last year!
    The tradition at University of TN is to dress up the top of your cap...and even with blinking lights on my son's cap, we had to have help to figure which of the ant-size people on the floor was our 6 footer!
    Also: we knew all the local restaurants would be slammed after commencement so we arranged a "barbecue take-out" picnic on campus to celebrate with grandparents and friends. It was a lovely time to meet my son's girlfriend's parents! Next year, she will celebrate her bachelor's and (God willing!!!!) my son will have completed his master's (Biomedical Engineering) ...afterwards they plan to head to NC for their doctoral programs... I'm getting teary-eyed again!!

I know you are so proud!!
    Enjoy your daughter, her accomplishments, and the day and .....take lots of pictures!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    She's in a graduating class of about 1300, pretty large by W&M standards. Beth and two friends who are also attending UofA will be spelling UofA on the tops of their caps. This means that Chris, the boyfriend, won't be sitting with the other Chem grads because he's the "of".

In Williamsburg this weekend we will be dealing with Graduation, Mother's Day and a golf tournament at Kingsmill. One of Beth's friends has a timeshare there, so we are doing our partying there. We leave Friday morning, pick up Granny at the airport and begin the festivities on Saturday morning.

I seem to have reached a lull in the sniffling at this point, but it won't take much to start it up again...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Judy,

She DID just come home from the hospital smelling of baby powder. WOW...What a great week for your family. Many congratulations to you. You are a great mother and to be able to celebrate this event over Mother's day weekend, what a joy.

Hankies need to be plentiful. And as Harry mentioned your age, you are very young, born the same year as me, as I recall.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I can only imagine how it must feel to have one graduating from college (actually, I would imagine the wallet would be feeling pretty darn good...). However I think I got just a taste of what you must be going through a couple years back.

As my son prepared to enter kindergarten a couple years ago, I attended the "parent orientation night" the elementary school put on for all the "newby" parents. A few thoughts occurred to me as I sat there listening to Principal Brown drone on about where to drop them off, when to keep them home sick...
    • Hey, didn't I just bring him home from the hospital yesterday?
    • Let's see... that makes Pierce- OH MY GAWD- that makes him FIVE!?!

This thought was followed by a brief moment of panic, as I reassured myself that- at 32- I wasn't really all that old yet. Still, I was still a bit confused regarding how it had come to pass that I had a five year old son.

Returning to my train of thought...
    • Holy cr*p! I'm going to be taking him to the birthday parties of all the other kids whose parents are here...
    • Well, actually, I won't mind taking him to that lady's kid's party... she's pretty hot! (Whoops, might should have left that particular thought out of the list... oh well)
    • Hmmm, this seems like a pretty nice cafeteria... heck, when I was a kid...
    • Did I really just think "When I was a kid?!?" Dang! Isn't that what my dad always used to say, and didn't that always bug me when I was a kid- aaaack! I just thought it again!
    • Hold it! What did that Principal lady just say about the required size of the nap-time mat??? Wait, I didn't hear that... go back... argghhh, this school parent stuff is going to eat me alive! Hellllllllppppp!!!

Anyway, if watching them graduate from college is any worse than that, I'll have to rush on home and hug my still little ones right now!!!

Congratulations Judy!!!!!!!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Was having a discussion with my bridge group re when the happiest time of life is/was. Everyone pretty much agreed it was when your kids are little, which is hard to explain as it is the time when you don't get enough rest and you have zero time for yourself. Suspect it has something to do with being needed and having an absolute clear purpose to your days. Second best everyone thought is grandparenthood, but for different reasons!!!!

Congrats to the grad, how exciting this must be for her and your family!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

WHEW!...

We all survived Commencement weekend at W&M. I only misted up a couple of times and I actually made the entire "Walk across Campus" and survived. The ceremony was wonderful. We were treated to a surprise visit by Margaret Lady Thatcher, the former Chancellor of the College who delivered some very wonderful remarks, including that Henry Kissinger, the current Chancellor, was doing a pretty good job "for a man." That brought every woman in the building to her feet! Queen Noor of Jordan was the commencement speaker and spoke to the great need for compassion and coalition in every phase of life. All in all, a memorable weekend. Now, next year is my son's high school graduation and two years later, law school graduation and then two years later another college graduation. Then my checkbook can breathe a sigh of relief!

My words of wisdom for graduation, comfortable shoes and a good camera!

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thats what I thought too.....

right up to the day my daughter announced her engagement! :D :D Suddenly your checkbook is having some breathing problems again..........perhaps after Sept 20th...........
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile The saga continues...

Beth should be arriving in Tucson sometime late this afternoon. She and her Dad left here Monday morning. I guess she wrestled the steering wheel away from Daddy because he's "too slow".

Arizona, you have my apologies! :D

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter varmint's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No need to apologize to us in Arizona, we all are crazy drivers. None of us are from here, so we all learned to drive in different places & now we are all mixed together to make it very interesting.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The finish line...

:cheers: We are in Tucson once again! This time celebrating Beth's graduation from the Rodgers School of Law at the University of Arizona. Needless to say, Boo managed to wiggle her way to the front of the line and was the first in line marching in and the first to receive her diploma. I can't begin to describe how proud we are of her and her accomplishments. She leaves on Wednesday to begin working as an associate with a small civil litigation firm in Las Vegas and to begin studying for the Nevada bar in July. What a wonderful ride this has been!

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Judy,

The time flew from graduation at William and Mary to law school graduation. Man, oh man!

Congrats! I am certain she will make you proud!:bbg:
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Bad address email on file Suzy W's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    HOw proud you must be! Congratulations for making it through another graduation;)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Congrats, Mom and Dad and of course the Juris Doctorate!

I know how much energy, support and money that went into this on behalf of all. Amazing how the time has flown by. Sometimes, we still see them as that little person we gave birth to. Happy belated Mothers Day!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Congrats

Judy,

I'm sure that you and your entire family are so proud. The best to your daughter.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Thread Information