Thread: Judy Canty-"How Good, Really Were The Good Old Days?"

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Judy Canty-"How Good, Really Were The Good Old Days?"

Check out the current issue of Vision Monday (April 21st) or read the article here:

http://www.visionmonday.com/index.asp?page=4_11313.htm

She also had a CE in the 20/20 magazine last issue. She's getting famous!
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    A very nice article, by an "already" famous person. We all know the work she does.

Back in the "bad ol' good days" most of the opticians I knew were X lab people. They had a solid understanding of optics, but had to learn the sales side. Seems it's all backwards now.

And yes judy, I remember when the thought of a "female" doing anything in a lab or opticianary - other than as receptionist, was a big taboo. Managers (male, of course) whouldn't even consider a women doing any of our work. That's a good change, but for some, old habits die hard. I still know some that have not changed in my 38 years in the business.

Keep up the good work. We enjoy reading your articles.
    J. R. Smith

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Judy:

Did the doctor in your article have a financial interest in the trouble shooting optician closer to home?

Chip

What was good about the good old days was: "You never had to ask this question."

Bad address email on file
    That article really hits home. I remember the only time I worked for an Optometrist, several years ago, and was dismayed at his refusal to try and get along with other local O.D.'s. At the time I had fairly good relationships with the opticians in the area. For the past seven years I have been in wholesale and have watched a steady decline in camraderie amongst opticians also. This attitude is present also amonst wholesale labs. At least we can still talk to other labs outside of our region and exchange ideas. No real point to this post I guess. Just agreeing with the article and heaving a sigh.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chip, to my knowlege the offending MD didn't have a direct financial interest in the shop. If he had, I would have been even more pi$$ed than I was and I would have informed the customer, the Better Business Bureau and the local Medical Society.

Thread Information