Thread: rep'ing advice

Master OptiBoarder keithbenjamin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

rep'ing advice

I've been lurking on optiboard for some time now. What an amazing repository for optical industry knowledge. Kudos to all that participate and make it possible...

:cheers:

To the point... I'm new to the industry. I've actually been in the tech industry for the past several years, but after the third company bankruptcy and over a half million layoffs in telecom over the past year, I think I'm ready to move on.

I have an opportunity to be the first sales rep for the family wholesale lab. Since I'm the first, there's no established training, procedures, etc. I'll head out to the lab for some product training, continue to study on my own, pick up every scrap I can, and probably go the LDO route (for future plans). I'm new to both optics and sales but excited about the opportunity and looking for any advice anyone might be able to provide.

Thanks!

Keith

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

LISTEN !

..... whether you call on customers or potential customers, clients who are happy with their labs or not, try to imagine that you are doing research on how to develop the "perfect" lab and see what you come up with.

If your lab is any good, forget the discount game and offer personal, friendly, professional services. Don't ignore the little guy by large volume discounts! Undersell and overdeliver!

Business is still done more by relationships than numbers.

Good Luck!

Welcome to Optiboard.
    Last edited by Homer; 04-17-2003 at 12:18 PM.

Bad address email on file
    Best of luck Keith - !

When I had an independent store I only used a small one band wholesaler and was very happy with him for years. We used his service - because he was small and he cared - he wasn't the cheapest - but I didnot worry abut saving the odd penny - because I know he would come up trumps if I wanted anything quickly or unusual. He bothered to build up a raport with us - and even got his wife to watch the odd job we were worried about. He gae us everything the biggies couldnot -and in the end he helped give us an edge over the big stores on product range, delivery time andquality. He could get anything = or knew a man who could ... .

He would always make an appointment to see us - so we had pleanty of time to talk with him and see his range. He did sometimes have little offers to sweeten us if sales were bad. He always had news of the industry and together he turned out to be a true friend.

I met him by chance - I was using a large company for wholesale = and he came into the office and left his card. He left a couple of frames on the desk and said to the secretary that he would pik them up in a few days. We looked them over and got going with him. Simple as that. We bought from him because we liked him and he was friendly - he was a bit more than the big companies but he had to make a living and he was worth it.

You can get all the industry news of these bulitan boards and asking about and any knowledge yo need to brush up you can ask for off the various company web pages or opticians .

I wish you well - I am sure you will de very well.=palfi

Bad address email on file
    Oh - there was one other thing he did - which is a good idea - when he went abroad - he always went to a frame maker and bought some frames to bring back - that way he made a profit from his holiday !

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

You might want to check out....

You might want to check out this thread, coincidently started by another Keith, also from the tech industry now an OD, and better than that, he's from your neck of the woods!

go here:
    http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...5&pagenumber=1

theres some good stuff in the thread. You also might want to look him up. You both have a lot in common, he just might turn out to be your first new account.

Congratulations on your first post.

hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Optical weblinks

keithbenjamin

Good luck. On my website I got a large amount of optical links to anything in the optical trade + some others. Look it up maybe you can find some interesting sites faster. You can access it directly by going to:

http://optochemicals.com/web_links.htm

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The FIRST and FOREMOST key to successful selling is to LISTEN and ASK QUESTIONS to really understand what the customer wants. Most salesfolk are too busy telling their story to learn the customers needs and concerns. It really is about need fulfillment, not "selling." It doen't really mater what you want.

Don't take the first objection as truth. Generally, there's another reason but the customer has found that this one works. Ask questions to find out the real issues

DON'T OVER-PROMISE/SELL. Know your product and be truthful. When a problem exists, be the first to tell your customer.

Don't be afraid to say, "I'm sorry, I don't know...BUT, I'll find out and get back to you."

Don't take rejection personal; it (probably) isn't. And, you'll get a lot of that.

Do RESPECT the customer however, it's OK to occasionally "fire" a customer who is disrespectful or unreasonable in their demands.

Lastly, if your lab is a member of the Optical Laboratory Asssociation (OLA), they have a bunch of programs that will be of great assistance. Also, lens manufacturers often have helpful courses and literature that you can access. Call their sales rep for info.

And, welcome to the Board and our industry. You have 3 years...if you haven't left by then, you're hooked and probably a lifer. Best of luck.
    Last edited by Jim G; 04-23-2003 at 01:28 AM.

Thread Information