Thread: AR Removal

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

AR Removal

First let me say I enjoy coming to this site and reading about glasses and contacts even though I'm not in the Optical business. I have posted questions in the past and have been pleased with the responses I have received from all you wonderful Optical Professionals. Again I'm posting with a question and can't wait to see what you advise.

My current dilemma: I wear contacts the majority of the time, glasses at night. My glasses are about 9 months old and have AR on them - doubt it's the crizal. (AR was just something I wanted to try.) There are no scratches on the lenses and my eyes haven't changed. The AR lenses are becoming more difficult to clean and my eye Dr. said the AR can be removed. Costs $25 plus tax - no guarantee, but was told problems are rare. However, this is the only pair of glasses I own. Is this really pretty risk free?

I'm also considering a 2nd pr of glasses, but not sure if that's necessary because of the contacts. I usually have an old pair of glasses with the previous RX, but my old glasses had turned the 2nd set of screws green (yuck!) and the frame paint was slowly peeling off and I threw them out.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and offer your opinion.

Thank you,
    Dannette :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I remove AR all the time from patients glasses, I only find a hard time removing it on 1.6. Poly I will not do because it's too risky. CR-39 is never really a problem. I only charge 10 bucks if successful.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Dannette,

If you don't have any visable scratches and the lenses are only 9 months old, it is very unlikely that anything will happen to them.

I just took a pair of 6 year old AR lenses that were a little scratched and took off the coat without incident.

Our policy is that if anyone scratches or is unhappy with their AR, we will strip and/or re-coat within 1 years time.

As far as your frame turning green and peeling, you most likely have a nickel allergy and would not have the same problem with a completely titanium frame or a plastic one.

Hope that helps a bit...:D

ad

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Green screws and joints will not occur if you oil them now and then. Don't use much as it's hard to clean off the lenses.

Chip

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Dannette,
    I'm curious about what you are using to clean your glasses with. I recommend a light alcohol solution (AR-66) and a lint free non textured towel (cotton or linen). If you find oils from the skin getting on the lenses have you nearest ECP check the fit of the frames. Sometimes the frame sit on the cheeks or to close to the eyebrows and get really messed up. Due to your wearing schedule I would discourage removing the AR coating. I find AR invaluable at night (removes glare from headlights), just be prepared to clean them each time you change from CL's to glasses.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We recommend swishing your eye wear( front with lenses) in mild dish detergent soapy water and then rinse before drying with a soft microfiber cloth. To many times our patients clean only the lenses. The next thing that occurs is a build up of facial oils and dirt along the frame eye wire which when cleaned with a spray and a microfiber cloth results in an oily or dirty film that is hard to remove no matter what AR is used. I have also seen patients use moisturizing hand soap in the bath room that resulted in a film.

I have worn AR for 15 years and have never had a problem when using this method. In between times though I do use a AR formulated cleaner and cleaning cloth.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Jedi said:
    Dannette,
    I'm curious about what you are using to clean your glasses with. I recommend a light alcohol solution (AR-66) and a lint free non textured towel (cotton or linen). If you find oils from the skin getting on the lenses have you nearest ECP check the fit of the frames. Sometimes the frame sit on the cheeks or to close to the eyebrows and get really messed up. Due to your wearing schedule I would discourage removing the AR coating. I find AR invaluable at night (removes glare from headlights), just be prepared to clean them each time you change from CL's to glasses.
    I use a glasses cleaner from WalMart that states it's ok for use with AR and a clean cotton cloth diaper (never used for baby :bbg: ). I've started washing the cotton cloth once a week - never had to before AR. I don't wear my smeary glasses at night to drive - it would be too distracting. Watching TV drives me crazy - I'm always jumping up to clean my glasses. I can't get them clean when I'm cleaning them. Maybe it is the oils from my skin, my glasses do sit pretty close to my face, but I can't get used to them further away. I'll try washing the frame and all in dish detergent soapy water and see if that helps.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dannette-

don't use towels washed with fabric softener...it can be worse than vaseline on your lenses.

Bob

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    BobV said:
    Dannette-

don't use towels washed with fabric softener...it can be worse than vaseline on your lenses.

Bob

Hey! that might be the problem. I never used fabric softener until I bought a new washer/dryer. The new dryer causes static and I throw a dryer sheet in to keep static away. It probably took a while for the fabric softener to build up on my cloth.

Dannette

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    Danette, just a thought; the lenses without the AR also get oil and make-up etc, on them, and also need to be cleaned, sort of the nature of all lenses. most folks just accept the fact that thyey put up with the glare, it's the "contrast" difference on AR lenses that is distracting, but at least you can clean off the smears, abd see clearer, non-AR lenses, when cleaned are still glarey/smeary looking' I use just rubbing alcohol on them, try bounty paper towels on them, and as a CL wearer, you're not accustomed to glare. I just use Crizal for our clients now, but from past experience, there is risk in AR stripping, so if you get someone to strip them, say for $25, what will it cost if the lenses get ruined in the processed? If they're SV plastic lenses, they could be replaced for about that; perhaps...

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Re: AR Removal

Dannette said:

My glasses are about 9 months old and have AR on them - doubt it's the crizal. (AR was just something I wanted to try.) There are no scratches on the lenses and my eyes haven't changed. The AR lenses are becoming more difficult to clean and my eye Dr. said the AR can be removed. Costs $25 plus tax - no guarantee, but was told problems are rare. However, this is the only pair of glasses I own. Is this really pretty risk free?

Dannette :)
    Dannette,

If your lenses are of regular CR39 there is no risk of removing the AR coating, provided it is done with the right product.

If your lenses are high index lenses, the lenses could get damaged and turn opaque because they do not resist some of the acids contained in the remover.

HOWEVER , there is another solution. Your lenses can be treated with "SIMPLY EASY CLEAN" which can bring the surface back to an easy to clean AR surface.

I am giving this advise because I produce and sell this type of lens tyreatment chemicals.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dannette,
    I think that all AR coating labs give at least a 1 year guarantee on the coatings, some offer a 2 year guarantee. If your Dr. isn't willing to make good on his product, I'd consider someone else for that 2nd pair.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Armour-Etch (glass etching cream) removes the AR in twenty minutes. Takes some of the scratch coat with it. Not for poly or glass.

Bob,

Facial soap and most tissues give that "vaseline" look also. While staying at a motel I tried to clean my lenses with the hand soap that was provided. It must have been half lanolin. I ended up using the hair shampoo, and finished with a microfiber cloth.

Danelle,

You said the lenses are *becoming* hard to clean. It is possible for there to be a breakdown of the coating without noticeable scratches. The surface may have an iridescent appearance that mimics the look of a smudged lens. Here are some other ideas beyond what has already been mentioned. Your eyelashes may be touching the lens. Clean well, wear for a short period, then check for a smudge with some vertical streaking near the center of the lens. If you use moisturizing agents on your hands do so after the lens cleaning. After wearing and fitting lenses with AR for over two decades, I have found the following procedure to be the safest and most thorough, and takes no more than thirty seconds. Rinse the lenses under very warm water to remove most of the abrasive particles. Clean with a few drops of dish detergent or plain soap like Ivory added to the lens or finger tips, rinse and rub with your fingers under running water until all the soap is gone. If you leave any soap on the lens it will smear. Dry with a microfiber cloth. Although you can use a 100% cotton towel, the special cloth is a time saver, practically guaranteeing no smearing or streaking.

Robert

Occupation

Off in 10 seconds

Robert Martellaro said:
    Armour-Etch (glass etching cream) removes the AR in twenty minutes. Takes some of the scratch coat with it. Not for poly or glass.

Robert

The OMS Stripper takes it off in 10 seconds maximum

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    10 seconds? Come on, I use it and no way is it near that fast! I have to soak them 10 minutes or more in some cases.

Occupation

10 minutes ??????????????????????

CME4SPECS said:
    10 seconds? Come on, I use it and no way is it near that fast! I have to soak them 10 minutes or more in some cases.

If you leave a lens in an OMS AR Stripper for 10 minutes, half the hard coat underneath is gone too.

................and if you do use OMS AR Stripper and take 10 minutes you better change it for a fresh bottle and check when you bought. All the good things do not last forever!
    :finger:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    is 5 years too long??????:drop:

Occupation

Chemistry ...............................

The OMS AR Stripper consist's of:

12% acid mix
    14% solvent mix
    carrier is water

as the acid mix is very weak, there is no immediate danger to skin if touched or spilled.

Shelf Life is un limited in - un opened bottle. Once opened and if always closed when not in use it can last up to 6 month. If left open and exposed to air, the solvents will evaporate and the acid will not work alone.

AR Coating stripping time is 5 to 10 seconds. After that the hard-coat will be attacked. Hardcoat will be fully removed after about 60 minutes.

Therefore a scratched lens very often has NO scratches below the hard coat and can be fully saved and look like new.

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chris~

Please advise...

Where can I purchase "Simply Easy Clean" and OMS stripper?

hip chic

Occupation
    hip chic said:
    Chris~

Please advise...

Where can I purchase "Simply Easy Clean" and OMS stripper?

hip chic

hip chic

You can get it from OMS at 800-461-6637. They are closed for Easter Weekend until Tuesday morning. You can also see it on the website at

http://optochemicals.com

Thread Information