Thread: O.K. what does "CE" mean

OptiBoard Professional Robert Wagner's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper O.K. what does "CE" mean

:hammer:

I have been an Optician for a long time and I have never figured out what "CE" means on imported frames, plastic bags, un-cut lenses and just about everything else one gets from abroad in the optical field.

I have asked the reps in my area some of them long time reps as well as frame manufactures and no one seems to have the definition other than "it's some kind of import stamp"

I am sure that someone has the correct definition and I can't wait to find out what it means.

BTW this has nothing to do with continued eduction........

Thank you in advance for the definition now I can sleep at night.

Robert W. ;)

Isolate your eyes! Live Eyewear's Avatar
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    CE is the mark that designates the frame meets European Standard for eyewear imported into Europe...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Live eyewear,

Thank you! But do you know what the words are for C.E.

Thank you
    Robert W.

Isolate your eyes! Live Eyewear's Avatar
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    I believe it has something to do with the issuing authority out of Brussels, they are called CEN.

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    CE stands for Conformité Européenne, French for European conformity.

What is the CE mark?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The CE mark is applied to our spectacles to allow them to be sold in any country within the Eurpoean Community. The CE mark is only applied to the spectacles after they satisfy the requirements as set out in the Personal Protective Equipment Directive (PPE).
    http://www.cemarking.net/DEFAULT_EN.HTM

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Jo

Thank you very much, you don't know how long I have been seeking this answer. :D :D :D

Here's to you
    :cheers:

Robert W.

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Re: THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Robert Wagner said:
    Jo

Thank you very much, you don't know how long I have been seeking this answer. :D :D :D
    Sad......

Its just another pain in the backside to the rest of us.....
    There was a point when it was first released over here...That we were told that only frames carrying the CE mark could be used...Thus ruleing out 99% of reglazes as there was/is no way of teling if the customers frame was CE compliant. Thankfully the bodies to be saw sense and dumped this bit as it would have been a bit hard to tell the customer sorry you need a new frame because you have rubbed of the CE mark....

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    To sell lenses in the EU you must meet the CE requirements, a series of testing much like ANSI and ISO standards but pulled together under one organization. I am pretty sure many of the tests come from ISO and ANSI but may have extra twists here and there.
    For photochromic lenses, the products are tested for performance by temperature (5°c, 23° and 35°c, or 41°F, 73°F and 95°F for us non metric folks, it may go as high as 115°F) , for light absorbance recorded from 380-780 nm to check Q-Factor evaluations (red, yellow, green and blue color recognition), UK and German Night Driving standards, UV protection and mechanical strength are also included. There are several other categories that the product must also meet. I am just glossing over from the top of my head.
    I look at it as a UL or Good Housekeeping Seal of approval for lenses. Since the frames go through testing too, I think the consumer in Europe would be confident that they purchased a reliable product.
    regards,
    Jim
    Jim Schafer
    Retired From PPG Industries/
    Transitions Optical, Inc.

When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say even less.
    Paul Brown

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Attn: Robert Wagner

Surely you made enough money with all those movies and T.V. shows that you need not fool around with the optical industry especially as an apprentice.

Thanks for the question though, I have been concerned about this for a long time and have heretofore received only near guesses as it's meaning.

Chip

Of course since it's French we can ignore it, pitty those poor folks across the pond that have to pay attention what the French tell them.

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

C E =====

Cruddy Eyeware.....

Chip...You think we listen to what the french are saying ?????? listen maybe but understand NEVER...........

When this standard first came out and we had to have a CE mark on the packets, we worked out that the only part complying with the standard was the packet which they were placed in........

Bad address email on file
    yep: CE over here means made to a standard - they take spex very seriously - yet the screws still fall out and the markets are full of el-cheapo sun specs that have no mark. I believe it is compulsory to use ce on Rx specs (knowing Europe). I think that even the edger in the lab needs a little ce also. I think we (Brits) missed the right turning in the road - and finished up in Europe Community.

Thread Information