Thread: Recommended optician in Santa Clara/San Francisco Area?

OptiBoard Novice

Recommended optician in Santa Clara/San Francisco Area?

All,
    I'm a consumer looking for a recommendation for a good optical shop in the San Francisco Bay Area (near Santa Clara), or just some advice on how to find a good optical shop. I've read quite a few sources on the web, sci.med.vision, and thoroughly enjoyed many of the threads on this board.

I've decided that my ideal set of frames is rimless with single-piece magnetic clip-ons. In addition, the lenses will be Hoya 1..71 w/ the Hoya AR coating. I've visited many random optical shops in my area, and none of them seem to offer this exact combination. Some will do rimless but only poly; some will do rimless but only Seiko 1.67. The most frustrating was the situation where they actually HAD a rimless frame with single-piece magnetic clip-on (MdX) and would do Hoya 1.71, but only with the Zeiss AR!

Is there a recommendation for an optician (possibly one on this board?) in the SF Bay Area that does this sort of work? Is there a recommended method for finding one short of calling every place in the phone book?

As a side question, are any of you familiar with other frames that are rimless and have a single-piece magnetic clip-on?

Thanks,
    Jeff.

OptiBoard Professional Excel-Lentes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Jeff,

I would pay a visit to Johnsen and Bruun Opticians on 3rd avenue in San Mateo. They provide excellent service and employ extremely knowledgable opticians.

Revolution Airs is a new rimless eyewear and has magnetic clip ons. I believe the frames are made from stainless steel. They look pretty nice and I have some of them on order.

As far as lens materials go, Hoya 1.71 is a fine product. I am guessing you have a fairly stong Rx. Many opticians recommend polycarbonate or Phoenix/Trivex for rimless eyewear because it is less likely to crack or break.

Vicky or Bryan will be able to tell you more and set you up with what you are looking for.

-Brendan

OptiBoard Novice
    Brendan,
    Thanks for the referral and the information. I've been browsing the web trying to find information on the Revolution Airs but haven't found anything so far. Is Revolution the manufacturer?
    Thanks,
    Jeff.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi,

I don't know if they even have a website. They are located in Simi Valley. I called Revolution (manufacturer) yesterday to check on my order for the rimless "Airs" and they won't even ship until mid-May.

Revolution makes many styles with complete rims with very good magnetic polarized polycarbonate clip on lenses. The Airs will be there first attempt at rimless with magnetic clips.

If you speak with Bryan or Vicky @ Johnsen and Bruun Opticians please say hi for me.

-Brendan

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Gerry Bundy, owner
    Bundy & Sons, Opticians
    201 South San Mateo Drive
    San Mateo, CA 94401
    Tel: (650) 344-4232

Well-informed, up-to-date,
    listens to clients, keep promises,
    has endless patience.
    Highly recommended.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    blackfire,

A couple of things. First I work for Hoya and want to make sure you are well informed about what you want.

the 1.71 Teslasid Product only comes with HiVision AR you have no choice on which Anti-Reflective you can get. So if someone tells you they will do a 1.71 but not with HiVision they are not giving you a 1.71 material.:finger:

In addition we do not recommend you drill the 1.71 because it has a very low tensile strength and can micro-fracture very easily.

Hoya has just released its newest 1.70 Eyry material and it is available in the Summit ECP progressive lens and soon to be released Aspheric SV. The great thing about this material is that you can drill it and it has a very hight tensile strength. It works great with rimless frames. Again you cannot get this lens without HiVision AR.

I do not know anyone in your area since I am located in the Seattle market I will see if I can't find out for you though.

Todd:finger:

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    bobgaskins was right on when he recommended Gerry Bundy. In addition to Gerry, I would also recommend Mike Tiernan of Tiernan Opticians in San Carlos. I'm not terribly familiar with driving times in the Bay area, so Mike might be a bit geographically undesirable. Further to the East is Dennis Metas (I believe his company name is Village Opticians) in Danville, CA, another outstanding optician. We have four stores in CA, but unfortunately none anywhere near you. Best of luck in your quest!

Larry

OptiBoard Novice
    All,
    Thanks so much for the great information. After much additional research, it seems like I'll have to wait a month or so until the Revolution line comes out and see what that looks like. I've tried everything up to and including calling Revolution directly, but it seems there is no local or "Web" resource for information on their magnetic drill-mount line.

A local optician told me that the Kawasaki line might have one-piece magnetic at some point, so maybe I'll check on that.

Thanks!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi,

Revolution model IMF411 is currently avail. It is a rectangular rimless style. Looks nice!! Comes in gold, gun metal, bronze and blk.

-Brendan

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Takumi by Manhattan Design (by Aspex) has drill mount with a one piece clip. It's the same company that makes MdX.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Thread Information