Bill Medicare for repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Medicare for repair?

Does anyone know if there is a way to code and bill Medicare for an Eyeglass repair?

Thanks.

Do mean like a frame replacement? Or are you really talking about like a nose pad or screw replacement?

Medicare usually only pays for the Comprehensive portion of an eye exam or post cataract surgery glasses.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Comment

I was talking about nosepad replacement, screws, etc..

Originally posted by King of the Lab View Post
      Do mean like a frame replacement? Or are you really talking about like a nose pad or screw replacement?

Medicare usually only pays for the Comprehensive portion of an eye exam or post cataract surgery glasses.

Comment

How would you prove medical necessity if you find a code?
        There are only 2 times that medicare considers eyewear medically necessary
        1. pseudophakia (1 time after each surgery, assuming that there is a large time difference between the 2 surgeries, otherwise 1 time)
        2. aphakia (either congenital or acquired, as many times as necessary)
        If its case #1, I don't see a way that you could get Medicare to accept the claim as the claim for the initial eyewear has already been made. If its case #2, it should be theoretically possible as you could argue that this is a cost saving measure as opposed to a new pair of eyeglasses, but I don't believe there is anything in any current Medicare literature that allows either V2797 or V2799 (the 2 codes that I can find that have a chance of being relevant) to be medically necessary.
        Last edited by jpways; 01-13-2019, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Are there any private insurance companies that allow you to bill for minor repairs like this?
          Last edited by Alex Camblor; 01-15-2019, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Good heavens, no.

Comment

Of course you can file any claim to any insurance. Getting paid is always the trick!

Comment

Working...
              X