Thread: Wages

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Wages

I'm fairly new to the world of opticianry and was wondering if anyone can tell me what the average wage is both before and after passing the board exam. I know it probably depends on region, experience, etc. but I'm wondering nonetheless.

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    Doctor,
    I'd say that there are too many factors to discuss this, there is what they call economic index, cost of living varies pretty extremely in different regions. Some areas have big didderences in clientele desires. some areas pretty much are driven by vision care plans, some states require opticians to be licensed, which is the best situation, since you know that who you're employing is qualifified. folks with educationa and experience should be paid more, but they also need to be able to produce for your practice, which is hard to evaluate. some of the best "opticians" can't sell. And if they can, they're worth a lot! and I don't mean spiffs, but only you know what it takes to live in your market, and at what economic level. Just ask an applicant that seems worthy of the position, has the qualifications and is personable and honest enought for you and your clientele to be comfortable with; "how much do you think I should pay you for doing this job, realistically?" let them propose to you what it would take to hire them, and ask them how they're going to make it justifiable? that not too complicated, is it; and I think most people will usually underprice the position, then see it feels right to you; if you feel it will be fair to you both, hire them, if you feel resentment at paying them that much, then thank them for their time, and go on to someone else.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In the Midwest, I've found that there is about a $2.50-$4.00 and hour difference between Lic & non. Of course, if someone has bee in the field for many years, the spread may be less because their pay may already be close to that of a lic.

Bad address email on file
    Could anyone be more specific?

We've established that there is a $2.50 - $4.00 an hour difference in pay between licensed and non-licensed. But what is the general pay range?

Are we talking $20,000, $40,000, $60,000, $80,000...what?

Sure there are regional differences, but let's talk about:
    1. licensed otician (or equivalent education/experience in non-licensed states),
    2. working in the midwest (those of you in other regions can mentally adjust that number to fit your own region),
    3. working in an employed position for a chain or OD.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I can tell you the range here in my area (FL) .. tech is in the $8 to $12 range depending on the perks and location (chain/private)
    Lic. optician are in the $14 to $18 range.. depending on perks etc., I know some opticians that only are their for the Lic. and get no perks (spiffs) so they are paid a little higher range but some techs I know who are in the $10 to $11 range after spiffs getting close to $17 to $19 an hour..
    Office manager are in the $14'sh range and under..lab techs are in the $10 to $18 an hour depending on experience.
    Being a labrat I make $00.68 1/2 per hour all the CR39 dust I can choke down and free coupons at the local soup kitchen ;)
    The 1/2 cent is there for "averages"..sort of like the 2.5 kids and 1.5 pets ;)

Jeff "how did I end up at the bottom of the food chain"Trail

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Paw:

How can you be specific about something so subjective ?

I've got a receptionist at one of my offices that is making $17 per hour, because she's been there longer than anyone, and she'd be hard to replace. I've got an optician that's been there for 9 years that is pretty decent, and makes $14 per hr. At the same office, I've got an energetic, entusiastic, optician that get really bummed out if she doesn't sell at least 4 second prs. a day. He's making the most, and he's only been licensed for 3 years, and has only been at my office for one and a half years.

You can't put a template over an occupation and say that this is what everyone should make. The onlt way you could do that is if you could be guarenteed the same effort and results from everyone.

These aren't gov't jobs we're talking about !

The initial post by vinmcmahon wanted to know the average wage. I think that's a fair question. When people want to know what a profession makes, they know there is a wide range. They just want to know where the range is on the grand scale.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In Indiana, which isn't a licensed state, those that are ABO certified receive on average about a dollar more per hour than non-ABO. In Indianapolis this works out to be anywhere between $11-$18/hr depending upon experience, location, and if "spiffs" are included. The Higher end are either ones that don't get a spiff or commission on top of the hourly rate or lower paid ones after the bonuses are applied.

While certainly hourly rate goes into the equation for employment, benefits are also a big part too. There have been a few times the past couple of years where I have been offered a higher salary, but going down to only one day of vacation accrued for every 2 months worked was too hard a jump from my 4 weeks, soon to be five next year I already have. Medical, life and dental insurance are all things I can not do with out.. and Etc. So make sure it is a complete package...not just money.

Cassandra

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Variables include:

-Working for an MD
    -Working for an optician
    -Working for a chain
    -Working for an OD
    -Working for commision
    -Hourly wage
    -Salary
    -Licensed states
    -Unlicensed states
    -Unlicensed state w/ national certification
    -Licensed state w/o "
    -Full time (we pay less)
    -Part-time (we pay more)
    -W/full hospitalization
    -W/some benefits
    -w/no benefits
    -w/selling skills
    -w/lab skills

I think it would be safe to say that in our area, opticians make between $10 and $25 dollars per hour.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Here in the opticianry nightmare known as California, I would say the "average" wage is about 30,000. This is of course for the "average" optician.

The labor board has an average posted on their web-site and it is about 29,000.

All of the factors that John listed are alive and well. I think that looking at most business plans from small to medium size, wages for staff should comprise about 12%-15% of the offices take.
    I could be wrong.

My humble suggestion would be to find out what other doctors in your general area are paying, and offer a little more. This will keep some of the better opticians in your area more inclined to stay with you rather that you falling into the industry trend of turnover for the rest of your life!!!!

ad

Bad address email on file Di822's Avatar

wages for men...? or women?

Personally, I still find it hard to believe that men make the same as women in this business. I know men opticians in this area who have a wife and children. I can't imagine how they could support their families on less than 30K a year. I don't know of any women opticians who make over 30K in this area and some are top knotch ABO with 15 or more years of experience. I don't know what the men make because they are tight-lipped, but women tell all. I have decided that the men live in fear that we might find out.

So....I would say the "average" in this area for women is 22K.
    The "average" for men is anybody's guess.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think the reason that the wages for men and women seem to be the same is this: In the old days, groceries used to cost less for women. This goes the same for rent and gasoline. Somewhere in the 80's retailers banded together and started charging the same prices for men and women. It was a tough sell at first, but nowadays, when you look around, there is only one price on products. I would love to see a return to the old days when women could get by on less (they probably could if they just tried harder), but until then, I think we're stuck w/ them making equal wages.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question wages, raises, etc

So, this is very interesting to me. I have been in the field since '82. Have a degree in Optics(Optometric Tech) and have been a "Dispensing Optician" since the beginning. I have been at the same office now for 6 years. I've gotten 1 raise in the six years, no increase in vacation or sick days, and have taken a cut in retirement. The doctor doesn't seem to think raises are good, since the last time we got one, we had to beg, and were told we would loose our bonus!:angry: :drop: I would LOVE to have a challenge at work other then the Dr. and situations. I have been at about 31K a year for some time now. Is there anything out there!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Amy,

you should know the business well enough by now and have built up a good clientele, so ....... go across the street and open an optical shop!

After a few years, you will be the employer and we will see how you pay your employees!

IT CAN BE DONE ! Good luck !

Bad address email on file Vegas Eyes's Avatar

Question Ladies.....

This is the 21st Century. We no longer have to put
    up w/ the staus quo. If you don't enjoy where you are
    working or where you are at this point in your life ...
    CHANGE IT !!! We (women) are a very large part of this
    industry. I'm not saying that the grass is always greener
    either. But with a little research (and sometimes alot of
    sacrifice) you can find a better position elsewhere. I moved
    clear across the country because I didn't feel the opportunities
    for me were what they could be. I'm a single mom and it
    wasn't easy but 6 years later I am the happiest I've ever
    been (work and otherwise). I'm a "pretty good" optician and
    my customers keep coming back. I've built quite a clientele.
    I'm one of the highest paid Opticians in this city. I work my
    A_ _ off but it's worth it because I truly LOVE my job. I wish
    the same for everyone. Sorry to ramble on....
    Keep your heads up.

Vegas Eyes ;)

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Bottom of Food Chain

Jeff Trail said:

Jeff "how did I end up at the bottom of the food chain"Trail

Poor Jeff

At least you are the star of the optiboard and living in a southerly location you can pick the oranges, grapefruit, mangos and tomatoes of the trees in your backyard.
    :cheers:

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I can't believe that untill the '80's, groceries had two prices on them in U.S.A.!!!!!
    Was this the 1880's
    This country has been pretty backward untill recently but even here you wouldn't get away with that kind of discrimination.

If you're not getting paid enough and you are good at your job then demand a raise or you'll walk. Assuming you have somewhere to walk to.

Most practice owners want to pay as little as poss. for the best staff poss. Force their hand!

Occupation

Thumbs up

Just to put my two cents in. I worked with Dr. Mcmahon back in the late 80's and early 90's and you won't find a better Dr. to work for. he is fair and pays well. If you are looking for a great place to work and a wonderful state (NH) to live in, get in touch with him. A retired optician after 44 years in the best profession in the world.
    Last edited by Bill Swain; 06-22-2003 at 10:07 AM.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Funny Bill, I'm from Derry, Northern Ireland originaly. I'm assuming thats where your town got its name?

Occupation

Redhot Jumper

I think you have that right. Have lived in Derry for the last 7 years. Was born in Philadelphia, PA.
    Last edited by Bill Swain; 06-23-2003 at 05:44 AM.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I hope after all this advice you have a number. I say add a bunch to that. Aim high. If you are applying to an OD add more. They are already taking enough from Opticians. Get what you can when you can.

Thread Information