Unusual visual phenomenon with polarized lenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual visual phenomenon with polarized lenses

So I purchased and mounted some aftermarket polarized lenses in some sunglasses of mine .. gray/brown base with full reflective blue mirror coating ..

i noticed when i drive with the sun directly positioned in front of me there is a blueish hue on my black dashboard... when I tilt my head left or right it disappears... when I look move my head left or right it disappears.. when I drive in a different direction where the sun isn’t straight ahead it disappears..

i also noticeed if I’m walking on black asphalt with the sun directly ahead and I look at the ground there again is a bluish color straight ahead on the ground but as soon as my head deviates away the blueish hue goes away..

this also happens with some other sunglasses with a rose tint and polarized.. anybody have any ideas?
    Attached Files

It's the combination of the polarization and blue mirror reflecting the light on certain angles. Backside AR will help to alleviate but not completely.

Comment

It is possible that they are off axis

Comment

I thought the mirror might have something to do with it but my secondary pair that is rose colored does not have a mirror coat...

Comment

Originally posted by rolandclaur View Post
          I thought the mirror might have something to do with it but my secondary pair that is rose colored does not have a mirror coat...
          And that other pair does the same thing?

Comment

The TV show "Nature" last night had a great episode about gemstones and why their colors vary.

From google search this is why the Hope diamond is blue-

It is blue to the naked eye because of trace amounts of boron within its crystal structure, and exhibits a red phosphorescence under exposure to ultraviolet light.

Makes me wonder if, at the right sun angle, the red end of the spectrum is being affected through these lenses

Comment

One of the reasons I don't love polarized lenses.

Comment

Originally posted by fjpod View Post
                One of the reasons I don't love polarized lenses.
                Really doc? I don't doubt your opinion is reall but I LOVE really good polarized lenses, makes me feel like I have cyborg eyes or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Tallboy View Post
                  And that other pair does the same thing?
                  Yep.. I’ll try and take a pic through the lens to show you guys...

Comment

Originally posted by Tallboy View Post
                    Really doc? I don't doubt your opinion is reall but I LOVE really good polarized lenses, makes me feel like I have cyborg eyes or something.
                    Really. I will avoid wearing them.

Comment

Originally posted by fjpod View Post
                      Really. I will avoid wearing them.
                      I won't wear sunglasses that aren't polarized. Different strokes...
                      I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Comment

So let me get this straight. Asphalt and dash produce some blue effects through your polarized lenses, even the non-mirror. I am assuming that your dash is black as well. Black has a tendency of looking blue to those of us with color challenges. The glare produced by flat surfaces do not always reflect back at a perfect 90. Thus, when you tilt your head slightly, it goes away.
                        You are most likely seeing the effects of stressed birefringence. Your lenses may be smidge big and/or the polarization may be a few degrees off the 180. Nothing to be overly concerned about IMHO.
                        I bend light. That is what I do.

Comment

Originally posted by lensmanmd View Post
                          So let me get this straight. Asphalt and dash produce some blue effects through your polarized lenses, even the non-mirror. I am assuming that your dash is black as well. Black has a tendency of looking blue to those of us with color challenges. The glare produced by flat surfaces do not always reflect back at a perfect 90. Thus, when you tilt your head slightly, it goes away.
                          You are most likely seeing the effects of stressed birefringence. Your lenses may be smidge big and/or the polarization may be a few degrees off the 180. Nothing to be overly concerned about IMHO.
                          It's amazing how much trouble is caused by edging polarized lenses a touch too big.
                          I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Comment

Originally posted by rolandclaur View Post
                            Yep.. I’ll try and take a pic through the lens to show you guys...
                            Did you check the axis on them?

Comment

Working...
                            X