Thread: OptiBoarders' Vision Expo Homework?

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper OptiBoarders' Vision Expo Homework?

Vision Expo East is here!

For those OptiBoarders attending, I was wondering if any of you would volunteer for a little "homework" assignment. It isn't a ton of work; I am just looking for folks to write a short snippet on the show itself, a product or an event that makes an impression on you. The summaries will be published in the next OptiBoard newsletter.

If you don't mind being quoted, go ahead and post your opinions in this thread. If you would rather remain annonymous, feel free to send me a Private Message or Email me using the links below my post.

Above all, I look forward to meeting you folks in person! Have fun!

:D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Let me start out by saying we had a great time at Vision Expo East this year! Other than getting to meet fellow OptiBoarders for the first time, we came back with a great deal of information and questions answered. I thought I would list a few highlights of our visit.

I have mentioned before on OptiBoard how much I like Great Lakes Real Eyes Green and Real Eyes Gold AR coatings. We got out of dispensing mirrored Rx lenses a few years back because we didn't trust them not to scratch and peel like the Dickens. This is too bad because many of our customers wear their sunglasses for sporting use. I found out from the folks at Great Lakes that they produce their Metal Fx Mirrors using much of the same technology they use for their AR coatings. With this in mind we are going to start giving them a try.

I also made a stop at Eyetailor, Jerry Huang's, company. It was wonderful to see their beautiful work in person. Harry Saake was even sporting a pair of Jerry's frames and they looked wonderful.

Someone I went to the show with is planning on setting up a full surfacing and edging lab for their company. Thanks to meeting a couple of very knowledgable folks at one of Jim Grootegoed's Edger Focus Group meetings, he was able to get quite a few tips from folks who have been running labs for awhile. We both enjoyed playing with all of the "toys" on the exhibit floor.

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

homework from expo east...

Hi Jo,

I am sorry that I could not meet you (and others) at the saturday meeting...I was at Javits all day Thursday and Friday, and did not go in on Saturday.

My homework: The new fashions in frames were very cool...lots of splashes of red, and color layering. Another interesting thing that I noticed which I have not noticed bofore: two completely different looks, opposite of each other, equally popular at the same time. Rimless mounts with AR lenses, virtually invisible on the face, and bold, geek-chic zyls with dark colors. And, cool lens treatments (flash coats, cool-blue mirrors with AR on back surface).

I ordered a couple of new frames, Minima rimless and LaFont cat eyes...

Great show!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I was also unable to attend the Saturday Optiboard reunion. We decided to shut down a whole day on Friday instead of our usual half day on Saturdays.

However I did make it to Live Eyewear and ordered some more Coccoons which do well in our shop. I also ordered Storman Normans "Hint of Tint" edge coloring system which I believe will do well with our rimless and semi-rimless eyewear. I usually order my lens cleaners at the expo since Hilco gives a 10% show special along with free imprinting and made this a routine stop. Since the show is always on the front end of our sunwear season, I ordered some new costa del mar sunwear styles. Along the way, I ordered a few new ophthalmic frame styles here and there. We also had the opportunity to take a good look at the "Smart Mirror" and "Wink" dispensing aids. We will probably purchase one within the next two months after turning over a few more stones.

Other than that, things appeared to be a little behind speed than other years. No vendors downstairs this year also indicated diminished vendor attendance. There were some vendors I hoped to see such as Maui Jim but didn't notice them to be there this year. Finally, the folks such as Sillhouette which didn't show any of their product with the ambition of reflecting on the current world events.

Kevin

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    PAkev said:
    I also ordered Storman Normans "Hint of Tint" edge coloring system which I believe will do well with our rimless and semi-rimless eyewear.
    I have a coworker who is begging for the Hint of Tint system so it looks like we are going to order as well. It gives a nice subtle effect.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Learned about new or upcoming lenses from many manufacturers. Got up to date info on the latest AR's. Checked out the latest equipment for lens manufacturing including coatings. Reviewed product lines currently not offering and purchased such as Neostyle, increased sun wear lines, expanded our accessory lines, increased our Cocoon's; learned about new contact lenses, learned about PRIO lenses and ordered software/tester. Sat for some contact lens CE. Just to name a few things we did!

Had a wonderful time as well as having a out of office team building exercise despite what was going on outside.

We are already implementing new ideas.:)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile vision expo

:D Just another great time in NYC, where the weather was fantastic, had a nice dinner with Bev and her office staff on sat. night and a rocking good time at the hard rock cafe with phernell Walker and his adorable wife.
    .....Had the good fortune to sit down and have a long conversation with Alex Yoho, which is always a learning experience and then met up with him at the brietfield tool display where Alex put on a little show on how to adjust rimless frames.
    .....very interesting focus group with Jim G and the group, should be an interesting edger. Of course the one and only Jerry Huang was there with some more new frames.
    .....Spent a lot of times at various meetings, such as VCPN magazine and got to spend some time with Eddie D.
    .....And as always the dinner at mickey Mantles restaurant, kind of a tradition, great show cant wait for Vegas in Sept.

Thread Information