Thread: In house frame lines?

In house frame lines?

Does anyone have information about making their own frame lines? For instance, if I had a specific idea for a frame, where would I go/who would I talk to make it happen? I know a lot of opticals out there have their own in-house lines, but does someone make the frames and then just stamp the company name on them or are they all custom jobs?

Thanks for any ideas/help you may have.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    All of the ones I've checked on just stick your name on frames that are already produced. Some of them will modify the frames a bit if you buy a certain amount. I don't know of any that will let you design a frame from the ground up, but they may be out there.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You're better off using a system such as Spazz mentioned, if you want to sell to the masses. If you're looking to produce a limited edition, small run, the cost will be astronimical, and you'll end up having to price it right out of the market.

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Hi dgentz ,

I would like to share with you about my experience on frame manufacturing for both mass production and custom made.

If you already have some designs, I can introduce you my friends who are experts in frame manufacturing overseas.

Generally speaking, many people would have their "patentable" frame line made in China in order to make it affordable and then print the country of orgin somewhere else. Ex:Many Magnetic clips companies have their own patents.

Others such as high-end would spend $5 to $20 USD on special casting parts exclusively for their own frame line and spend another $5 to $10 bucks on heavy plating in order to bring up the frame value. This type of frame line usually wholesale it for at least $125 USD and up. EX: Jean Paul Gautier, Cariter.....are considered as "art piece".

A few German would build frames themselves from Ground up. The material is very cheap but they already invested years of know- how, R & D, and equipment. Yes, you must be knowledgeable about machinery yourself.------One of the kind!

........or buy a big brand name by paying big royality and then just print the name on any simple frame and see they fly everywhere on the market. EX: Giorgio Armrni, CK, DKNY....etc.

These 4 types of people have established successful optical stories day and night.

Good luck!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jerry!

Hello!

It is been long time i did not see you on the board. I guess you are very busy.
    I have one question to you.
    Is it possible to make in China an exact copy of the Sillhoette minimal art titanium frame?
    If it is going to cost me around 20 i am ready to invest in 200-300 pieses per color.

I already saw about 5 different copies but they are not the same, They dont feel the same and dont last the same.

I need THE SAME THING!

What is your stake at this?

Thanks in advance.

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Hi Lenny,

I am back from Mongolia. Now, I must finish a silver spider mounted with Ruby for Harry's daughter before I leave the country again.

You want the exact copy of Sillhoette minimal art titanium frame!! Not a problem! It is made of Beta titanium. Most Chinese factories try to sell them cheap in stainless steel, that is why you feel the difference.

It should cost you around $15 to $17 USD each with beta titanium material or $5 to $7 USD each in stainless steel. Please contact Thomas at:
    thomas@premierhk.com

I believe he still has some samples in stock.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you Jerry !
    You are the best!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jerry!

Could they produce theexact copy of the Sillhouette?

How can i make shure that the stuff they will send me is exactly what i want?
    They dont have any samples!

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Hi Lenny,

Just hung up the phone with Thomas!

Yes, Thomas can make the exact duplicate of Sillhoette minimal art titanium frame as long as you can provide some document that patent right holds by Sillhoette is no longer valid! I heard from a French optical company who makes the same copy that sillhoette does not have a valid patent on the plastic cap insert. Although I never seen it in writing but this product is all over the street!!

There are several ways to tell if the frame is made by beta titanium:

1. Beta titanium is more flexible than stainless steel when you bend the temple over 60 degree angle. In the matter of fact, stainless steel will loose the springing tention if you keep bending more than 15 times back and forward.

2. Beta titanium will not enact with magnet likes stainless steel does. So, no one is able to fool you if you keep a piece of magnet in shop.

Another secret for ya: Please never tell any factory that you are from an optical "shop"!!! They always prefer to work with wholesalers only. I have explained to Thomas that you are interested in quantity order because that particular frame is such hot selling but you need to see some samples first.

:cheers:

Jerry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the reply Jerry!

Actually i newer told them that i am from the optical store!
    The name i am using is pretty universal!
    Its Kings Eyewear, so it sounds like wholesale.

I will email him about the samples also.
    Hopefuly he would be able to send me some of his products.
    (not the original Sillhouettes chasies):bbg:

Thanks a lot for your help.

Lenny

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's really universal now...

Thread Information