Thread: PAL's with best intermediate corridor

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

PAL's with best intermediate corridor

Okay folks, we've covered short corridor progressives; what are your picks for folks who need a decent intermediate corridor?

I'm not talking about your graphic designers using 19 inch PC monitors just the average office person, if there are any left today.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    For the "normal" office worker (I guess that would include me... my monitor is a paltry 16"), I would recommend a computer lens. Seriously, once I am presbyopic (i.e., five years from now), I wouldn't want to view my computer screen through a section of the lens measuring approximately 3x6mm!

Accordingly, my selection would be the Interview. This lens is fit using the patient's NVO Rx using monocular near p.d.s. The fitting height is measured to the lower lid (like a flat-top).

The "near zone," which is the point at which the Rx of this lens is verified, will be situated in a position approximately 2-5mm below straight ahead gaze. As the wearer travels up through the "digression," the intermediate power is introduced through a -0.80 digression of power (which provides comfortable intermediate vision approximately 24-60").

Now, if I am not allowed (or able) to purchase a specialty lens? Well, I'd go with a Natural or a Panamic. The Panamic will not have the widest "corridor," but the periphery of the intermediate section of the lens is designed to have very low and even amounts of unwanted cylinder. So, my eyes will be seeing the same image (which produces more comfortable vision).

Really though, I'd like to think I would purchase a pair of computer lenses- life has enough headaches as it is without adding those created by CVS...
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Out of the twenty or so most common progressive lenses, my measurements show the top 5 lenses for intermediate zone size (at a +2.00 add) are:

1. SOLA XLGold
    2. SOLA SOLAMAX
    3. Pentax AF mini
    4. Essilor Ovation
    5. AO Pro

This analysis was based upon computer ray-tracing (or modeling the vision through the lens).

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Technical Marketing, SOLA Optical

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Greetings Darryl !!

Do you have the length and width of the corridor for those products?
    I'm working on a similar project and you could save me running redundant tests.

Miss seeing you out on the road chief. We need to catch up some place - some time.
    J. R. Smith

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Do you have the length and width of the corridor for those products? I'm working on a similar project and you could save me running redundant tests.
    Hi JR,

Great to hear from you.

As far as your request goes, it would obviously depend upon the application. Shoot me an e-mail with the details and I'll see if I can help you out.

Best regards,
    Darryl

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jo,

I can discern little if any difference in the corridor and near width from one lens brand to another. There does seem to be a significant variation in corridor length and to a lesser extent distance peripheral blur. I've evaluated the comfort, panamic, life 2, gradal top, percepta, max, outlook, image, natural, ovation, concise, precise, b'active, definity 2, and genesis. I wear a 2.00 add with -4.50 on the top. I'm curious about the personal experience others have had, especially the hyperopes.

Robert

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Totally confused!

I had a new Rx about 2 months ago and made up a Hoya Wide Phoenix Trans with all the coatings, into a Plastic Bits and Pieces Lego type frame, unfortunately we boobed on the Rx, a quarter too strong, so while a new pair is being made I had a local lab make me a really cheap temporary pair of CR39 AO Pro 15.

All I can say is WOW!! the Distance is almost clear to the edges, Reading is super and the Intermediate, well, just sitting back looking at the screen right now at 65 cms I realise I can take in almost all of the 15 inch screen with real clarity.

My Rx is +2.00/-1.75 x 65 (similar OD & OS)
    with 2.75 add

On reflection, we've made hundreds of pairs of Pro 15 over the years with no problems, maybe AO got it right.

Go figure!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Clive Noble; 03-20-2003 at 11:55 PM.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Indeed.

Mate a top shelve marketing department with deep pockets and you can pretty much sell anything. Just adding "new and improved" to the box usually is good for a temporary spike in sales. Plenty of psychology and subjective bias between the optician/client as well. We need to stick with the science, a good dose of skepticism, and ignore the marketeers.

Robert

Thread Information