Thread: color blind welder needs contrast, help anyone?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist

color blind welder needs contrast, help anyone?

I have a patient with strong duetan color deficiency who just started a welding class. He's having difficulty seeing through the standard green #9 and #11 shield. He's looking to invest in an expensive, instant on helmet/lens deal and wants to know if the gold or the cobalt blue filter would help more. I had him look through some sunglass tints, but not much of an impact on color distinction. Anyone have colorblind welding experience. (TIG, MIG and acetylene, on steel and possibly aluminum)

Thanks,
    Jon

OptiBoard Professional Robert Wagner's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

color blind lenses

Hi Jon22,

If this patient wears glasses under his helmet, try to use a x chrome lens in his non dominate eye which is a red #2 filter and at times this seems to help with contrast on a color deficient patient(s).

If patient dosn't wear glasses, make him up a pair of plainos with the same type of lens and have him give it a try,

It's a thought which might work.

Good luck,

Robert

OptiWizard
    I imagine any color but green would work since the green wavelengths are the ones he has trouble with. If he is wearing green lenses he is going to have trouble seeing especialy in a dense tint that a welder would use.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Aura Lens (www.auralens.com) makes alot of special lenses. They might be able to help you.

Good Luck
    Bill

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Don't go messing with welding shields; they're mandated by ANSI Z87.1 complete with specific wave transmissions that can only be met by green glass (most likely 'cuz they measured transmissions for green glass and then made them the standards).

The X-chrome lens deserves a try (or just give him a tinted red lens to try) as it has some (a little?) testing behind it. It's never worked for me tho.

I'm not sure exactly what his problem is tho...there's so little "light" transmitted in a #9 or 11 that color differentiation is gonna be tough for anyone.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've done a little welding and the only colors I could see when doing same were: red, Bright (just bright no color), maybe metal gray, and possibly a little yellow-orange. Other than being able to tell hot from cold, there is little need for color preception when welding.

Chip

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thanks for all your input everyone. I'm still working on this.

The gold and the cobalt blue lenses are commercially available and approved alternatives to the standard green tints. That such alternative colors are available leads me to believe that there is adequate demand for them, just haven't found the right person to shed light on why.

The red tint (although not an X Chrome) did not seem to do much for his contrast when looking at the color vision plates in the office. I think that combined with a green #9 lens (which I don't have on hand to test with), the red would just make things look brown.

Chip, you have a good point in that color vision may not be that great of a factor. This patient is a novice welder, just taking it up for a hobby, and doesn't have experience on what he's "supposed" to be able to see with the mask. I'm hoping that someone with direct experience with the colorblind angle can chime in here.

Jon

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Jon 22, I'm a little concerned about your comment that, "...gold and the cobalt blue lenses are commercially available and approved alternatives to the standard green tints."

For what application?

Where could I verify that?

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that that info is contrary to everything I've ever read or heard about welding protection. I'd really advise you to get a copy of Z87.1 are read up on welding filters.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Another contact lens system for color deficiencies is the Chromagen. We have had various sucess with this.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Coincendentaly I just recently had a conversation with a patient who welds and is colorblind as well. We determined that due to the nature of the work that there is no need for a special lens to increase contrast for color blindness. Where the importance lies is in what material is being welded. Some materials warrant darker lenses than other. He is going to mail me some info on which lenses to use for different materials and send me some samples as well, I post when I recieve them. Also, FYI he said that the cobalt blue lenses are scarce up here and may even be discontinued.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Stick out tongue

Maybe you could suggest a different career. (Only joking a bit - he might hurt himself or someone else) :0)

Thread Information