Thread: Prevencia Interaction with Transitions?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Prevencia Interaction with Transitions?

Wondering what the cosmetic interaction between Prevencia and Transitions is? I know that Recharge and Transitions result in the lens taking on what appears to be a Brown #1-1.5 indoors, depending on the lighting/angle; is the effect as dramatic with Prevencia, and is the residual blue hue as noticeable? Trying to help an individual with new lens selection and he's unhappy with the cosmetic effects (currently in Trans Signature 7, Trivex lens with Recharge), but potentially wanting to stay in a blue-blocking AR. He works in the public sector and is photographed regularly, and dislikes the way his lenses show up in pictures. I've never been able to get E to provide any samples so I'm unnable to personally attest to the cosmetics of Prevencia. I'm leaning towards encouraging him to go with a higher-tier non-HEV AR and drive home the blue-blocking effects of Trans Brown for his own peace of mind, but if he'll be happiest with the combined aesthetics of Prevenvia and Trans then I want to keep him happy.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I feel that adding Prevencia is akin to adding a purple mirror to the mix.

For best photographic results I use the lowest index base material suitable for Rx, with the highest quality AR coating.
    Last edited by uncut; 08-16-2017 at 04:41 PM. Reason: meant index, not abbe.
    Eyes wide open

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Browman View Post
    I'm leaning towards encouraging him to go with a higher-tier non-HEV AR and drive home the blue-blocking effects of Trans Brown for his own peace of mind
    Bingo. I would shoot for Crizal Sapphire and reinforce for your patient the HEV blocking effects of Transitions VII.

Prevencia looks much worse than Recharge, BTW. You are already in the least obnoxious-looking HEV AR; anything else is going to be a significant step backwards for your patient.
    Last edited by AngeHamm; 08-16-2017 at 03:48 PM.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    I feel that adding Prevencia is akin to adding a purple mirror to the mix.

For best photographic results I use the lowest abbe base material suitable for Rx, with the highest quality AR coating.
    Lowest abbe?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Lowest abbe?

Good catch, Unc!.......I meant index. Will edit.
    Eyes wide open

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I don't know why you would want a HEV coating over a lens that filters HEV?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Thanks for the input, everyone. Gonna lean on either Sapphire or Avance with Trans Brown. Disconcerting to know that Recharge IS the best cosmetic option... Definitely don't wanna be responsible for this guy looking like he's got a purple mirror the next time he's at a press conference.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Disclaimer- Essilor employee...

One of my own pairs is Transitions XTRActive Brown with Crizal Prevencia. Although they are ridiculously comfortable to wear in my over-illuminated work environment, and I like the fact that they filter 45% of Harmful Blue Light (HBL) when I'm inside, I definitely would not want to be photographed in them! :^)

The lenses you've landed upon (Transitions Signature VII Brown with Crizal Sapphire) should be very cosmetically appealing for your customer, and they'll still filter at least 20% of HBL while inside (and well over 80% of Harmful Blue Light when fully activated). I have the same thing (with gray instead of brown), and they look great in videos/photos (I may not look that great- but my glasses do :^).

Blue filtering ARs work via reflecting away HBL. Since HBL is 415-455nm, such ARs will naturally appear to be blue-violet (in fact, the more HBL they are filtering, the more purple they will appear).
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin View Post
    Disclaimer- Essilor employee...

One of my own pairs is Transitions XTRActive Brown with Crizal Prevencia. Although they are ridiculously comfortable to wear in my over-illuminated work environment, and I like the fact that they filter 45% of Harmful Blue Light (HBL) when I'm inside, I definitely would not want to be photographed in them! :^)

The lenses you've landed upon (Transitions Signature VII Brown with Crizal Sapphire) should be very cosmetically appealing for your customer, and they'll still filter at least 20% of HBL while inside (and well over 80% of Harmful Blue Light when fully activated). I have the same thing (with gray instead of brown), and they look great in videos/photos (I may not look that great- but my glasses do :^).

Blue filtering ARs work via reflecting away HBL. Since HBL is 415-455nm, such ARs will naturally appear to be blue-violet (in fact, the more HBL they are filtering, the more purple they will appear).
    Other than residual color (blue for Sapphire vs. green for Avance), and the .4% difference in light transmission, is there an appreciable difference between the two? I know that between EX3 and the next tier AR there's a hard coating; is there a similar difference in the E product, or is it just the color and light transmission? I want to be able to account for every dollar of worth on these so it doesn't come back to bite me down the road!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Browman View Post
    Other than residual color (blue for Sapphire vs. green for Avance), and the .4% difference in light transmission, is there an appreciable difference between the two? I know that between EX3 and the next tier AR there's a hard coating; is there a similar difference in the E product, or is it just the color and light transmission? I want to be able to account for every dollar of worth on these so it doesn't come back to bite me down the road!
    My understanding is that the top coat is the same, it is only the residual reflection that is different.

Sapphire is my favorite AR ever.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quick and (hopefully) easy description of the Crizal portfolio:

Crizal Easy UV no-glare lenses represent the entry point of the range. They provide durablity (dip-coat, thermally cured hardcoat), cleanability (hydrophobic top coat), and reduction of both visible glare and UV reflection (optimized AR stack).
    Crizal Alize UV no-glare lenses add improved cleanability (higher contact angle) compared to the product above due to a denser top coat.
    Crizal Avance UV no-glare lenses add improved durability (greater scratch resistance) compared to the product above due to a quartz layer (called "SR Booster") that is incorporated within the AR stack.
    All of the above products have a residual reflection that is green.

Crizal Sapphire 360 UV no-glare lenses add improved reduction of both visible glare and UV reflection (which is somewhat difficult to do simultaneously) to the product above. The visible reflection from the lens is blue and is 35-45% less intense than Crizal Avance UV. The UV reflection (off the back surface) is also reduced compared to Crizal Avance UV (which already has a UV reflection that is quite low).

And:
    Crizal Prevencia no-glare lenses have the same performance characteristics as Crizal Sapphire UV with regards to durability and cleanability. The difference is the residual reflection will be somewhat stronger, because the stack is designed to reflect at least 20% of the 415-455nm band of visible light (which is blue-violet in color) away from the eye.

Hopefully that clarifies the range. Subjectively speaking, I make quite a few lenses for my coworkers here at Essilor HQ, and Crizal Sapphire 360 UV no-glare lenses are great (the only time I use Crizal Avance UV is when the frame is green, likewise Crizal Prevencia in a purple or red frame looks awesome).
    Last edited by Pete Hanlin; 08-18-2017 at 09:45 AM.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If Sapphire is so much better than Avance in every way then why hasn't Essilor moved away from the green reflex ARs and make it their standard?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I think Achromatic coatings look the best in photographs.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Do you have access to the new sapphire 360 yet?? that should give the best reflex color. remember transitions do have a fair amount of blue blocking built in.
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Thread Information