Thread: Computer Lenses

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Computer Lenses

What computer lenses are you fitting? Why? How happy are your clients with them?
    Would appreciate your input as we are making some decisions on what we are offering.
    Also, anyone using Kodak Total Blue? We would appreciate your feedback on that. Thank you in advance.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuzie View Post
    What computer lenses are you fitting? Why? How happy are your clients with them?
    Would appreciate your input as we are making some decisions on what we are offering.
    Also, anyone using Kodak Total Blue? We would appreciate your feedback on that. Thank you in advance.
    We have had great success with the Workspace from IOT. 3 different ranges, and now four. As long as the opticians are asking clarifying questions, no remakes.

As for Kodak, we do not offer it.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    We have had great success with the Workspace from IOT. 3 different ranges, and now four. As long as the opticians are asking clarifying questions, no remakes.
    +1

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you for the quick response. What are you offering for a blue light filter on lenses?

Occupation
    Thank you for the quick response. What are you offering for a blue light filter on lenses?
    We use the Clear Blue from Vision Ease. We also can provide the Retinal Bliss HEV by Quantum as needed, but recommend the Clear Blue. The Retinal Bliss is very similar to Prevencia, and specs out the same.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    We offer clear material filters, blue blocking ARs, transition, and BluTech. BluTech is my personal favorite as someone who doesn't care how my lenses look as long as my eyes are comfortable. Our patients are much more likely to choose a blue blocking AR, whereas I only suggest clear material filters if they are not concerned about getting any sort of health benefits. The material filter is purely for eye fatigue.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Count me in for the Workspace. My only problem is when I overthink it and don't let the lab use the default digression. Also- make sure you follow the frame fitting position requirements. At least a 10mm space from pupil to top of frame, fit oc center pupil and minimum 14 mm drop (more is better but frames are bigger now anyway). Especially works well for weaker distance power patients who don't live and die with their prescription (need them for driving). Essilor computer works well for 4 feet and in computer users.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Just sorta switching to using Zeiss now. My Zeiss officelens arrived yesterday, the 2m near variation. I like it, probably more than Hoya iD Workstyle V+ and Rodenstock Ergo Room. But they are all OK. Only ones I haven't liked are the Shamir Workspace, Computer, Smart Office. Too hard a design, too much peripheral astigmatism for my liking.

Occupation
    Hey Uncle,

IOT now has the Pure Office, with even more distance vision. We opted out of providing this, as the Reader 4 provided enough distance vision. I am always cautious fitting some in computer lens with too much distance vision, since patients will tend to wear them all day, including driving. Last thing I want is to be on the road with someone wearing one of these..... http://www.iot.es/pureoffice.html

As for the IOT designs, I wear the Office 1.3 for serious photo editing, the Reader 2 for general purpose computer work and the reader 4 at my office desk. My favorite general purpose computer lens is the Office 2, but for work, the Office 4 provides me with enough distance vision in the conference room.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by obiwan View Post
    Just sorta switching to using Zeiss now. My Zeiss officelens arrived yesterday, the 2m near variation. I like it, probably more than Hoya iD Workstyle V+ and Rodenstock Ergo Room. But they are all OK. Only ones I haven't liked are the Shamir Workspace, Computer, Smart Office. Too hard a design, too much peripheral astigmatism for my liking.
    If you have access to an an IOT lab, I would recommend trying the IOT Office Reader 2. My apologies for intertwining the Workspace and Office Reader. We call our IOT designs the Workspace. The naming of FF Computer PALs are so confusing these days! Office Lens, Office Reader, Workspace, ugh!

Speaking of Zeiss, I received my trial pair of the Energize Me PAL, and I have to say that it has become my favorite PAL for everyday wear. Great intermediate width that is comfortable enough for computer work (I use 3 monitors) with a nice soft channel that gets to the near zone comfortably. Minimal head nod to use all zones. Looks like I will be adding this to our lens repertoire soon. We are IOT and Zeiss certified.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The Pure Office, or whatever you want to call it is an awesome lens. I fit mild hyperopic prebyopes in it as a go to. Fantastic lens. Myopes like it also- tho more situationally. All the doctors here wear it during the workday, one who is a myope habitually forgets they have it on and drives home in them(not reccomended!) . Be wary it is cut on a relatively high base curve, proper frame fit is necessary on prescriptions. Seems to be about the best form curve of the DVO plus the add

Occupation
    Thanks TB. Glad to hear that others are successful with it. My main gripe, even with the 4M, is that more distance you get, the more it behaves like a standard PAL. That is the main reason why I really like the 2M. Great mid/near with just enough distance to know I'm wearing a computer lens, but i can still see people from across my desk clearly. And the 2M has very little astigmatic errors compared to the 4M.
    The 1.3 and the 2 are our best movers, but people seem to have some issues with the 1.3. This has more to do with poor fit than design. Our opticians really need to listen to our patients' needs. 7 out of 10 would be better off with the 2M.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper I just love an old pair of glasses in my collection .................................

Having done my cataracts about 10 years ago and spend 7 to 9 hours on the computer daily, I just love an old pair of glasses in my collection, that dates back from the 1970s, in a totally new and modern looking frame with pair of glass ST 28 bifocals with a +1.00 add 2.50m, as my computer glasses.

This lets me see just about full clear vision, the whole width of my corner desk without any distortion in distance or super wide screen at 2 feet distance.

Beats all of my progressives.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    [Speaking of Zeiss, I received my trial pair of the Energize Me PAL, and I have to say that it has become my favorite PAL for everyday wear. Great intermediate width that is comfortable enough for computer work (I use 3 monitors) with a nice soft channel that gets to the near zone comfortably. Minimal head nod to use all zones. Looks like I will be adding this to our lens repertoire soon. We are IOT and Zeiss certified.[/QUOTE]
    Confused about Energize Me. We don't have that in Australia yet, but google shows me there are 3 variants going right up to a full progressive, just not sure why they're being marketed for post contact lens wear, seems a bit odd.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    Hey Uncle,

IOT now has the Pure Office, with even more distance vision. We opted out of providing this, as the Reader 4 provided enough distance vision. I am always cautious fitting some in computer lens with too much distance vision, since patients will tend to wear them all day, including driving. Last thing I want is to be on the road with someone wearing one of these..... http://www.iot.es/pureoffice.html

As for the IOT designs, I wear the Office 1.3 for serious photo editing, the Reader 2 for general purpose computer work and the reader 4 at my office desk. My favorite general purpose computer lens is the Office 2, but for work, the Office 4 provides me with enough distance vision in the conference room.
    Regrettably I am stuck with a Big E lab.

Wearing the Shamir Workspace for distance can happen, but I find most people driving these days are to busy texting to worry about distance vision and others on the road!!!

PM sent

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Deuzie,

Kodak Total Blue is a nice blue filtering lens hybrid; the blue light filtration is built into the lens material and the AR. Available in single vision (both surface and stock lenses) and full backside digital Kodak designs like the PB, Unique, Unique HD, Softwear, etc. Doesn't filter quite as well as BluTech and lens has a slight brown hue with purplish AR.

I also like the IOT design that we offer at my lab that, similar to Shamirs computer, workspace and office, you can pick how much distance the patient has. Available with 1.3, 2, 4, or 6 (max distance vision you get that's measured in meters). We use the 1.3 or 2 as a standard and we don't have any issues.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I tried all the Zeiss lenses (book, desk and room) and really prefer the Essilor Computer.

Thread Information