Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poly vs Trivex Question

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by JF LDO View Post
    I agree, Poly over Trivex any day. Trivex is trash to me; very soft so over time a 3 or 4 base curve lens will turn to a 6 or 7 and its so dense that its hard on the equipment and causes more heat which equals aberrated lenses. Plus have you ever tried polishing trivex... It will melt before it polishes. I actually prefer 1.60- its tensile strength is superior to trivex making it the perfect lens for drills. Plus if you get the MR-8 1.60 the abbe is 41 (trivex 45 or so) so optics are super clear and its so much thinner and easier to work with than trivex.

Just my opinion though.
    Differing opinion here, JF. I would agree 1.60 polishes more easily than Trivex. I would not agree that polishing trivex is hard. Harder on the wheels, always--gotta plan for it. Worse than 1.60 on drills? Not on Hi-Index' best day--I see fewer stress issues in 1.60 versus poly. Not versus Trivex. Your report of gradual curvature steepening isn't something I've ever seen in Trivex--poly is another story.

I hate stress fractures. Stress marks. Spiderwebs around drillpoints, Lenses warping out of its eyewire after 2 years. Poly is great for patients stuck on a 2 year replacement cycle, if you don't mind poly remakes.

But I really really do (or did in my lab days,) and the marginal cost increase of trivex over poly buys a LOT more durability and lifespan in lenses.

I agree ABBE is oversold, but for my compound prism Px 17 BO & 3 vertical this week who last replaced lenses 4-5 years ago...it's no contest. Do I wish Trivex were thinner, sure, but your trash is definitely my treasure!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Impact resistance aside, I use 1.60 and Trivex interchangeably and don't often even distinguish between the two to a client. I go with Trivex more often in plus lenses and 1.60 in minus lenses. If its a wash between thickness and weight, I use trivex.

I will happily do poly also if that is their decision. As far as Trivex losing its base curve after being mounted, that would require a finishing job that would never make it out of my finishing lab, that should never happen. *shudder*

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    Impact resistance aside, I use 1.60 and Trivex interchangeably and don't often even distinguish between the two to a client. I go with Trivex more often in plus lenses and 1.60 in minus lenses. If its a wash between thickness and weight, I use trivex.

I will happily do poly also if that is their decision. As far as Trivex losing its base curve after being mounted, that would require a finishing job that would never make it out of my finishing lab, that should never happen. *shudder*
    Since it sounds like you utilize Trivex and 1.6 fairly often, I'm wondering if you have ever used Tribrid? Strength and weight of Trivex with the thinness of 1.6.

I could see availability being an issue depending on who you use for a lab though.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    Since it sounds like you utilize Trivex and 1.6 fairly often, I'm wondering if you have ever used Tribrid? Strength and weight of Trivex with the thinness of 1.6.

I could see availability being an issue depending on who you use for a lab though.
    I have not and it is mostly because of availability. Until I hear some of the gurus on here tell me they cut it all the time and love it I probably won't search it out either. Do you have experience with surfacing/finishing Tribrid?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Always been a fan of Trivex over Poly myself. Our selling points are the extra scratch resistance it offers. Granted we are (for the most part) an outsourcing private practice that doesn't deal with Trivex directly due to it making our edger temperamental... I'll still choose Trivex over Poly for my own lenses and always try to offer it to patients in need of a stronger lens for either work or just general roughness. We still aren't able to get the Tribrid material but I am interested.

Thread Information