Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have to get this off of my chest.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I have to get this off of my chest.

I hate hate HATE Silhouette!

1. They are impossible to adjust. They never keep their adjustments. I'm decent at adjusting them and I find that I have to rework other peoples' messes.
    2. They break all the time! ALL THE F****** TIME! sure, they made the temple thicker.... now.... but that doesn't make up for the years of crap that I had to put up with when patients come back like "yeah.... titanium my ***! this is the third time i've had to replace these."
    3. If you have a high rx, forget about it! Unlike Lindberg, whose mounting actually benefits from thicker and meatier lenses, silhouette is incapable of being properly mounted on thick lenses or lenses with high base curves. You CAN mount them... but it will just come loose eventually.
    4. Their style sucks! They either rip-off lindberg or they go with very typical/sterile advertising. There is zero pop, zero uniqueness, zero brand-differentiation. they are the starbucks of rimless glasses.
    5. Hey, here's an idea! Let's confuse the f*** out of our customers by having our shapes, our colors, and our chassis all be four digits. Instead of, I don't know, memorable color names or three, or frames that start with a letter maybe.... you know like every other company out there!

Bonus. hey let's make it extra hard to figure out what color this broken temple is because all the info gets rubbed off. But we'll still claim we're high quality! despite everything!

End rant....
    Last edited by Prentice Pro 9000; 06-22-2017 at 01:00 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've never had any problems with Silhouettes. Had them since they came out and find adjusting them to be easy. As far as all the options, yes it can be overwhelming. I had a bunch of flip cards with all the model numbers and color codes on them. If you can visually identify it, you have the numbers and codes. Just now switched to a different office that does not carry Silhouettes and will be bringing them in.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    I've never had any problems with Silhouettes. Had them since they came out and find adjusting them to be easy. As far as all the options, yes it can be overwhelming. I had a bunch of flip cards with all the model numbers and color codes on them. If you can visually identify it, you have the numbers and codes. Just now switched to a different office that does not carry Silhouettes and will be bringing them in.
    Lindberg is far superior

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Clearly, you've never touched a marchon product. LOL

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaketull View Post
    Lindberg is far superior
    I can't say since I've never worked with them. I can only say that my experience with Silhouettes have been very successful.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Clearly, you've never touched a marchon product. LOL
    Oh man.... airlocks..... uggghhhhh

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    I can't say since I've never worked with them. I can only say that my experience with Silhouettes have been very successful.
    I've worked with both. I promise you, you would be doing yourself an immense favor if you at least checked them out.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lindberg is far superior
    +1. Couldn't agree more. The adjustability/fitability/durability, all the "ilities" of Silhouette, are not even in the same ballpark as Lindberg. My place has carried Lindberg for many, many years and I cringe when people bring me a Silhouette to adjust.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think Silhouettes are largely well made. There was a span of a couple years when that wasn't the case, and those darn frames are still floating around (I forget the model, but you know that ubiquitous one with no hinges. Breaking that one was always a lab pastime.)

I'm pretty neutral about the styles--to each their own. For 'invisible' frames, they're fine. There are other options too, with good results and better prices, I might add. Since I've never been a Silhouette vendor, I'm sure they have virtues I'm not aware of. Can't say I feel like I'm missing out, or have much problem converting anyone to another titanium rimless I have instead.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Unfortunately, I think quality standards declined dramatically about 5 years ago. Before that, they were very durable, but the styling....well, to each his own. Starbux has pleasant style and should be offended to be compared to silhouttes

I hate hate HATE Silhouette!

1. They are impossible to adjust. They never keep their adjustments. I'm decent at adjusting them and I find that I have to rework other peoples' messes.
    2. They break all the time! ALL THE F****** TIME! sure, they made the temple thicker.... now.... but that doesn't make up for the years of crap that I had to put up with when patients come back like "yeah.... titanium my ***! this is the third time i've had to replace these."
    3. If you have a high rx, forget about it! Unlike Lindberg, whose mounting actually benefits from thicker and meatier lenses, silhouette is incapable of being properly mounted on thick lenses or lenses with high base curves. You CAN mount them... but it will just come loose eventually.
    4. Their style sucks! They either rip-off lindberg or they go with very typical/sterile advertising. There is zero pop, zero uniqueness, zero brand-differentiation. they are the starbucks of rimless glasses.
    5. Hey, here's an idea! Let's confuse the f*** out of our customers by having our shapes, our colors, and our chassis all be four digits. Instead of, I don't know, memorable color names or three, or frames that start with a letter maybe.... you know like every other company out there!

Bonus. hey let's make it extra hard to figure out what color this broken temple is because all the info gets rubbed off. But we'll still claim we're high quality! despite everything!

End rant....

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with you. Then let's not forget how hard it is to return defective product. It takes time out of a busy work day to get an RA from the rep for a simple return. Another annoying thing is the "would you like fries with that?" script every time a call is made to place a simple order. I have been working with them since the beginning and they are a staple but I certainly don't show them unless the situation calls for it or the patient requests them. I have found that many people try them and the next time want a frame that is not as "flimsy" as they say.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know they are a simple frame design, but the durability of the Charmant 8600 has endeared it to me as my drill mount frame of choice. Especially since 90% of the people who get drill mounts here are interested in something that is discreet looking. They hardly ever break, like 5% tops, and thats usually a nosepad arm. Surgical grade titanium all the way, basically the same stuff to wire a jaw shut lol. 3 year warranty, put some trivex or 1.60/1.67 lenses in it and they just keep on ticking.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ak47 View Post
    Unfortunately, I think quality standards declined dramatically about 5 years ago. Before that, they were very durable, but the styling....well, to each his own. Starbux has pleasant style and should be offended to be compared to silhouttes

Fair enough, they are the CW(bland tv channel) of eyewear

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I haven't come across any 3 piece that are dispenser friendly. At least SLH are very lab friendly. Ease of drilling, plenty of drill data resources, and easy to mount. I do admit that I haven't worked with any Linderg 3 piece. The few Lindberg T-Grooves I've come across were not very lab friendly at mounting, nor sizing. However, they did look nice when completed.
    As for returns and service, plus availability of parts, we have not had any issues with SLH. If a part we needed was discontinued, SLH would manufacture it in Austria and send it to us. It does take 2 weeks, but it beats re-styling the patient. Plus, pucks, fittings, etc are sent to us at no charge. Returns are simple, Our rep even comes to the lab to write up the returns and takes them with him. No extra work for us. Can't beat that.
    I've worked with Airlocks and Charmants, as well as various Lux brands. Charmants are nice and are just as easy to mount, but like SLH, adjusting them is not very friendly. They are a bit heavier than SLH, too.
    All said, I don't mind the SLH, as long as I stay on the lab side of it.....
    If I were to 'hate' any 3 piece, all of Lux products would top my list.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Jaketull
    have you had the rep out to give you the tools and tutorial on how to fix and adjust them. With the right tools they are simpler then a regular frame.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'd rather fix a quality 3 piece (which includes some of sillohuette though I still think the 8600 is the most sturdy of all) or adjust one than any number of flat metal monstrosities or strange plastic hinge. If you have the right tools its easy to add panto, face form , even cut the temples shorter. Whats wrong with them

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Clearly Lindbergh is a superior product that's saddled with an inferior business plan.

I want to carry them, but Lindbergh does not want to carry me.

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lol !!!!!!!!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Clearly Lindbergh is a superior product that's saddled with an inferior business plan.

I want to carry them, but Lindbergh does not want to carry me.

B

Really??? What kind of reason did they give you?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    Really??? What kind of reason did they give you?
    It's about minimums and monthly/quaterly sell-through. Simply cannot make that committment.

And the fufu attitude. Enough.

B

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'd much rather mount a set of lenses in a Silhouette than one of those pesky Van Heusen drill mounts... Nothing but trouble with those...

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan barber View Post
    I'd much rather mount a set of lenses in a Silhouette than one of those pesky Van Heusen drill mounts... Nothing but trouble with those...
    Van Heusen? The shirt company?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Van Heusen? The shirt company?
    Yea, Nouveau licensed the name and makes frames bearing said name. Fairly plain designs in large eye sizes that do well for the most part, but their drill mounts suck!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Don't get me started on the REM J479!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yea, Nouveau licensed the name and makes frames bearing said name. Fairly plain designs in large eye sizes that do well for the most part, but their drill mounts suck!
    Link?

Thread Information