Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New progressive lens "welcomed"...........................

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper New progressive lens "welcomed"...........................

NEW PROGRESSIVE LENS "WELCOMED"

Essilor’s Varilux X Series lens receives positive feedback from practitioners

15 Jun 2017 by Emily McCormick

Essilor’s eighth generation Varilux lens, the Varilux X, has been positively welcomed by the profession, with 94% of practitioners saying they would recommend the product, the company reports.

More than 200 independent practitioners attended official launches for the new lens in Manchester and Birmingham where they learned about the key features of the lens and “how it will change the lives of millions of presbyopes,” Essilor said.

Based on patient feedback, Essilor says that nine out of 10 patients are “satisfied” with the Varilux X Series lens. While 98% of those surveyed said that would switch and replace the Varilux S series lens with the new Varilux X series product.

See all of it:
    https://www.aop.org.uk/ot/industry/e...-lens-welcomed

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The i phone of lenses...

I don't know about you but I'm holding out for the "Y" series to be released in 2019!!!

I'm sure X series will be less expensive...this time for sure...What's that? You don't think so???

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    The i phone of lenses...
    Bwahahaha! Stolen.

Did you see there is also a new Crizal?? The FORTE. Ooh lala!
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Forte isn't new. Been around for years.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Huh, the ad on the Varilux page made it sound like the hot new thing. Never heard of it before, but I'm not really listening either.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    It's an international name for something we call something else in North America, right?
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...d-Crizal-Forte

Not sure if this is a link to an answer or just some laughs. You decide!

Occupation
    Does this mean that the X Series is even new? OR are we in a loop of same-sh*t-different-name?

-I am using the term 'sh*t' as in 'stuff'- not necessarily meaning that it is 'crap.' Not trying to stir any pots here.
    Last edited by Quince; 06-20-2017 at 12:32 PM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If its the eighth lens why didn't they call it Varilux "El Ocho"

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Satisfied is such a weak word to describe a new product. I was satisfied with my lunch i wasn't excited about it. It like saying its Just Okay.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Aren't 9 out of 10 wearers satisfied with the other Varilux lenses?

Optical Thingymajig OptiBoard Gold Supporter PartTimer's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    Aren't 9 out of 10 wearers satisfied with the other Varilux lenses?
    Yes. They just didn't know what satisfaction looked like until the NEWEST Varilux. Now they know. Well, nine out of ten of them do.
    Nine out of ten of them know THIS Varilux is the lens until the next nine or ten Variluxes come out. THEN those will be nine out of ten good, nine out of ten times.

GOT IT?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I caught about 90% of that...

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Does anyone have any concrete details on what is different about the 'X' compared to the 'S'? Their website (even the 'for provider' section) uses a bunch of flashy words with no real details, and their white sheet download isn't working. Does anyone from Europe or Canada have any specific details besides "Better, Faster, Stronger"? Thanks!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    All I've heard so far is from lab reps--haven't seen hide nor hair from the Varilux rep about this yet.

What I've heard second-hand is that if imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then the Shamir A3 "intelli-corridor" should be sincerely flattered.

Also, X will be all freeform, unlike the S Design mold. Expect a price increase over the S of an Andrew Jackson.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Disclaimer- Essilor Employee

Regarding Crizal Forte, that product is known as Crizal Avance UV in the US.

Regarding Varilux X Series progressive lenses, the new technology is Xtend Technology- a new calculation process addressing the #1 complaint of premium progressive wearers. 50% of premium progressive wearers indicate they are not completely satisfied with near and intermediate vision (aka "vision within arm's reach"). Specifically, wearers feel the lenses require them to "find just the right spot" to view objects within arm's reach- requiring them to move their head a lot more than they did before they became presbyopes.

This calculation largely solves that problem, because it enables the wearer to view multiple distances through each point in the lens. It's functionally similar to the "simultaneous vision" concept found in some contact lenses (although without the inherent drawbacks found in contact lenses, because the range of powers involved is much smaller). The result is a significant reduction in the need to move the head. More information can be found at this link: http://www.pointsdevue.com/article/v...ld-near-vision

In my wearer study of n=1 (I've been wearing Varilux X Design lenses for a couple months now), they're by far the best progressive lenses I've worn. More importantly, in independently conducted wearer studies (19 worldwide studies involving over 2,700 wearers) the vast majority of wearers shared my perception that Varilux X Series lenses greatly extend the sharp area of vision within arm's reach and greatly reduces the need to find "just the right spot" to view objects.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Pete, I'm so glad you are "lurking about"!

OK, so see if I'm in the general ballpark.

Classically, we've had distance portion--->a uniform rate of change corridor--->leading to a "stabilized" near zone (meaning: the change stops there).

Now, with Shamir's "intellicorridor" stuff, and now your "X" (and I don't know what "synergies" essilor and Shamir are enjoying) are we seeing the end of the "stabilized near zone"? Are we seeing not just progressive corridors but progressive near zones in order to increase depth of focus?

The main advantage being reducing the "nasty" head tilting to view different distances? You can keep your eyes in the (now typically de-facto higher due to aggressive/non-linear corridor progression) near zone and see your phone and your laptop screen equally without any head movement?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Pete, I'm so glad you are "lurking about"!
    Ditto.

If I'm understanding the lit, then the design change is essentially in terms of redistributing add power in the lens to satisfy more contemporary visual needs (with hopefully expanded lens areas of 'adequate acuities.')

This in and of itself is NOT a reproduction of the Shamir A3's 'Intelli-Corridor,' which fluxuates the add power distribution according to each patient's lens power, offsetting basic prismatic disparities.

Pete, without expecting you to a) speak for the competition, or b) explicitly compare/contrast your product with the competition...my pointed questions to you are:

Does the Varilux X vary the rate of add power distribution according to lens power in its calculation of vertical zone placement? Or is what I'm reading about the 'acuity zones' and percentage ranges already providing the buffer for that variable--based on those population studies?

What range of lens powers were represented in those studies? Are those impressively improved 'CS stats' limited to a particular range of lens powers? If so, what is that range?

(Apologies if this is already addressed in the white paper--I'm unable to load it for some reason.)

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I think you are definitely in the ballpark. I cannot speak to the Shamir technology (other than to note it is completely unrelated to anything found in Varilux- we're having to undergo a fairly extensive project to change the software we use to calculate lenses to make this design possible), but for Xtend Technology yes- the idea is to require far less head movement (which is definitely what I notice about the lens). Based on my own experience, I wouldn't say it's zero head movement- but I definitely notice a dramatic reduction in head movements. You've also hit on the change in approach to the design (treating near vision as a static 16" distance doesn't work in today's world... "near" is a much more fluid area these days). If you are of presbyopic age, I hope you have a chance to try them and provide your own review!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayde View Post
    Pete, without expecting you to a) speak for the competition, or b) explicitly compare/contrast your product with the competition...my pointed questions to you are:
    Does the Varilux X vary the rate of add power distribution according to lens power in its calculation of vertical zone placement? Or is what I'm reading about the 'acuity zones' and percentage ranges already providing the buffer for that variable--based on those population studies?
    What range of lens powers were represented in those studies? Are those impressively improved 'CS stats' limited to a particular range of lens powers? If so, what is that range?
    Not to sound "markety," but Xtend Technology should be a "game changer," precisely because it goes beyond redistributing ADD power. With Xtend Technology, when the eye is at any given point, it is looking through optics which provide acuity over a range of distances. This is the only way to truly overcome the need to move the head around to find "just the right spot" in the lens (because when you redistribute power- or make the progression longer or shorter- all you're really doing is moving where "just the right spot" is, so head movement will still be necessary).
    Regarding the range of powers included in the studies, normally the goal is to create a group of subjects that accurately represents the overall population. Although these characteristics will vary from region to region (e.g., in Asia we see a higher prevalence of myopia), we end up with a representative distribution of ametropia and presbyopia (as well as split by gender).
    The reporting of satisfaction is based on the findings across the entire population of subjects (at least for claims that will be used in the US market, you cannot "cherry pick" results to support a claim- if you want to report on one finding you have to report on all of your findings).
    Personally, I'm looking forward to what this lens will do on the market. One of the tests measured performance across a number of tasks which are usually challenging for progressive wearers. The study found 95% of wearers were satisfied with the performance of the design when reading in bed (which is usually a design-buster of a task).
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    EDIT: Retracted, I answered my own question after re-reading the literature.

Thanks for posting this, Pete! Great info!
    Last edited by bretk0923; 08-03-2017 at 04:59 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks Pete. I'm gratified to hear/see a little lit on the new lens. (It's probably no surprise that 'competitive perspectives' tend to fill any vacuums of information y'all permit to linger....)

I'm going to presume the answer to my first question is "probably not." ;)

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin View Post
    I think you are definitely in the ballpark. I cannot speak to the Shamir technology (other than to note it is completely unrelated to anything found in Varilux- we're having to undergo a fairly extensive project to change the software we use to calculate lenses to make this design possible), but for Xtend Technology yes- the idea is to require far less head movement (which is definitely what I notice about the lens). Based on my own experience, I wouldn't say it's zero head movement- but I definitely notice a dramatic reduction in head movements. You've also hit on the change in approach to the design (treating near vision as a static 16" distance doesn't work in today's world... "near" is a much more fluid area these days). If you are of presbyopic age, I hope you have a chance to try them and provide your own review!
    I'm a man. I'm 54. (Obscure sports reference I would be surprised anyone gets.)

Vouch me anytime!

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayde View Post
    Thanks Pete. I'm gratified to hear/see a little lit on the new lens. (It's probably no surprise that 'competitive perspectives' tend to fill any vacuums of information y'all permit to linger....) I'm going to presume the answer to my first question is "probably not." ;)
    Missed that one- sorry.
    The question was: Does the Varilux X vary the rate of add power distribution according to lens power in its calculation of vertical zone placement?

If I understand the question correctly, you're asking if the progression profile changes depending upon distance power and ADD power. In that case, the answer is "yes." In fact, that design concept was patented during the development of Varilux Panamic progressive lenses. Considering that design was launched back in 2000, I would imagine that patent is close to- or has- expired (which means other manufacturers are able to use the same approach to incorporate the same design elements- which might explain why some designs are starting to talk about similar sounding design characteristics).

Early PAL designs were "linear." The progression was a steady and consistent transition from the distance sphere to the near sphere. On a progression plot, it would look something like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_ou4zg6VoCn1tkp167o1_540.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	13450
    By the time Adaptar rolled around, Essilor designers had figured out that linear progressions are not ideal, because wearers who required higher levels of ADD needed more power at the "top" of the progression. So, they began to vary the distribution of ADD accordingly, like this. Note- these are just images I created years ago for a course on the evolution of PAL design- they're just to illustrate a concept and certainly don't represent any specific design (in fact, they're not even all that good, but this represents the extent of my CorelDraw skills in the early 2000s :^).

Name:	tumblr_ou4zg6VoCn1tkp167o3_540.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	13451
    By the time the Varilux Panamic design was developed, the designers began to appreciate that both the wearer's level of ADD and ametropia had an effect on the near and intermediate requirements of the wearer. So, the progression from lens to lens started to vary even more. Considering there are 72 combinations of base curve and ADD, there were 72 different distributions. The designer knew the power range of a 2 base would be over a certain range of minus powers, whereas an 8 base would cover a certain range of plus powers, and so on. The variations now began to look something like this:

Name:	tumblr_ou4zg6VoCn1tkp167o2_1280.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	13452
    Of course, by this time the designers also realized the need for varied insets (if I recall correctly, this was another patent from the Varilux Panamic era). This is why I sometimes react when someone suggests "customization" began with digital surfacing. In reality, there has been quite a bit of customization available in our (and other's) traditional designs for almost two decades. Digital surfacing allows the designer to take it to the individual sphere and cylinder power level, but the level of variation possible in traditionally surfaced products is actually pretty robust.

If I haven't understood the question correctly, my apologies.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That was really informative Pete! Thank you!

Yes, I remember when the design 'models' (labels) started to housing multiple mold designs to be selected at the lab. I agree it's no less legit than digitally surfaced solutions. I'm glad digital tech can make that easier on everyone's infrastructure.

This is why Optiboard is so crucial. It's quite a privilege to be able pick your brains, Pete. Thanks for stepping up.

Thread Information