Optical Laboratory Technician

Nonadapt to what?

So opinion time please!

Same Rx in both pairs.
    OD -4.25 SPH
    OS -3.25 -0.75 x090
    PD 31 OU

SV poly AR.

Old frame is Coach 6078 in black. New frame was Varvatos V348 UF in Crystal.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coach.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	13342 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	varvatos.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	13343

Varvatos is much better fit, in terms of centering.

So here it is- Pt came in wearing Coach from LC. Wants to get a crystal frame and so we found the Varvatos. Order is made and everything checks out perfect. Pt picks up and cannot see. Getting major disorientation and says the outer half of right lens is unusable. She loves the frame but is feeling like she wants to twist it in some very unnatural ways to see properly. We basically destroyed the frame trying adjustments but nothing works.

She picked out a new frame- Coach 6052 in tort to see if this fixes things.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coach 2.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	13344

We are also adding Trans grey which got overlooked the first time.

I have looked both pairs over as thoroughly as I can and the only difference I am coming up with is a sensitivity to Base Curve.

Old pair: 2 BC in both lenses.
    New pair: 0.5 OD / 2.5 OS

These are stock lenses and I'm just baffled by her intolerance to the change.

Is it BC? Is it to do with moving from black to crystal?
    Any suggestions?
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    what's the old Rx, Quince?

Old PD & OCs look ok? Comperable wrap & tilt between old and new? lens material change?

If you've already ruled all that out, then yeah, I'd see if you can isolate her complaint to the one eye where BC did change. If so, you may be right.
    Last edited by Hayde; 06-12-2017 at 11:58 AM.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Same Rx, same material, comparable PD. The new frame is deeper, but is way more centered in width than original. Neither have hardly any face form or tilt, but Pt was getting the sensation that if she added panto to right lens only it helped.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hmmm...10 degrees of panto gives you about an 1/8 cyl on the 180 OD.

spherical/aspheric/digital match, too?

(I'd also really needle you on the OC heights since you didn't mention it explicitly, this does sound consistent with adaptation to induced prism in the old pair.)

If all that really checks out, I'd remake the OD to a 2 BC & kick her back to the doc if that didn't work.

Good luck!

Occupation
    Yeah I'm not sure what the difference in OC is... I will talk to my tech about that. It's all spherical and conventionally processed. I'm hoping the new lenses come in on a 2 BC since adding the trans. Different company, so hopefully this does the trick. As much as I want to get her in the frame of her choice, she wants to see more and lives quite far away. Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time with that since she would like to pick up and not have to worry about trial and error. Thanks for the feedback Hayde!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    100% sure the lenses from LC are not aspheric? A lot of times stock SV AR Poly comes that way and the optical shop does not tell the PT that it is aspheric.

Occupation
    I will double check when she comes back in. I clocked them both at a 2BC but will check again. I figured if anyone was going to get an upgrade for it, they would, but I'm sure availability is a factor and I just checked that they can get them aspheric in trans.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Anytime! :)

Yeah, OCs still may be fine. We'd like to think the old pair were made correctly. If they weren't, we'd like to think their eye doc's pre-exam tech would have caught it at the exam. Unfortunately we just can't realistically count on either--so it's a good inclusion to check on any troubleshoot, especially with moderate+ powers.

If OCs really are the issue and it's the old pair that's off, you've got a dilemma on your hands. Her eye doc may appreciate a heads up, and end up give you a modified script to help ease her back into correct lenses sans yoked prism by the next Rx cycle--splitting the difference for now.

Still, it wouldn't surprise me if it turns out 'base curve' after all--or her new OD is an aspheric like Bimbol mentioned.

Keep us posted!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Last I knew, LC did not stock FSVAR in Trans, which means that they probably farmed it out to an LOM. Since both are on a 2BC, I would assume that they were surfaced. Aspheric blanks make sense, and from what you wrote, this is probable.

One thing you did not mention was the A and B. You did say that the Varvatos was better centered, but the pic shows a deeper and wider frame from the Coach.

The OD being on a .5 BC would make sense that the BC differential is causing more of an issue with the periphery as compared to the OS. Going aspheric and matching BCs and OCs, I believe, would be the solution.

I'm with Hayde.....keep us posted.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Poly non-adapt?

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Poly non-adapt?
    I'm thinking not so much non adopt but rather poor internal lens quality. Many moons ago when poly first came out, besides the "dirty" lens issue we found out if the pressure they are made under is not carefully regulated you can get this complaint.

I'd have been tempted to cut a pair of stock cr-39 into the first frame to see the response.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    I'm thinking not so much non adopt but rather poor internal lens quality. Many moons ago when poly first came out, besides the "dirty" lens issue we found out if the pressure they are made under is not carefully regulated you can get this complaint.

I'd have been tempted to cut a pair of stock cr-39 into the first frame to see the response.
    I thought about this later and think I still may try it. Got my FSV poly trans AR in today and the right lens clocks closer to a 1.25 BC with the left still on a 2. I'm going to call her to see if she wants me to hold them so we can test the original frame again with different lenses. I normally go with Younger for my FSV trans but they don't offer them in aspheric.

Is the general consensus that I should switch to aspheric? If so I would go with Seiko unless anyone has a different recommendation.

Old Coach frame measurements- 52-16 B-32?
    Varvatoes -49-18 B-35.5

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Other thing that may be an issue with poly is that it flexes. If it's edged too large and jammed into a metal eyewire, then there may be distortion. What do you think?

Occupation
    Well, it wasn't my usual lab tech that edged them the first time- he does get to have a day off every once in a while!- and the person who cut them is less likely to do any retouching. Didn't seem like an issue in popping them back out, but something to keep an eye out for. I've seen a lot of lenses edged too big and don't understand how they ever make it out of the labs that made them!

...Button pushers. *scoff*

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Other thing that may be an issue with poly is that it flexes....................

Other thing that may be an issue with poly is that it flexes. If it's edged too large and jammed into a metal eyewire, then there may be distortion. What do you think?

Very clear and logical thinking by drk.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    You are too kind. (Especially since I am too dumb to notice it's a plastic frame )

OptiBoard Professional Kujiradesu's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You are too kind. (Especially since I am too dumb to notice it's a plastic frame )
    That can happen with a plastic frame too if you try hard and believe in yourself. (^_^ )
    Optical Cross: n. crucifixion apparatus used by the New Jersey State Board.

"It is not knowing, but the love of learning, that characterizes the scientific [person]." -Charles Sanders Peirce

"A concept is a brick. It can be used to build a courthouse of reason. Or it can be thrown through the window. -Gilles Deleuze

Occupation
    UPDATE: Seiko aspheric FSV trans AR reads 2 base. Put these in Coach tort frame and....

SHE LOVES THEM! She can see perfectly so I marked BC sensitivity on her file and will be sure to keep her in aspheric lenses.

Thanks everyone for the input!

Thread Information