Thread: Lab peeps! Who processes Chemistrie?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Confused Lab peeps! Who processes Chemistrie?

Boss is thinking about bring Chemistrie in. Part of me wants to run them, but the smarter part of me wants to say Oh No!

Any advise from you lab gurus? Is it really worth the time and effort?

Thanks, my friends.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    IMHO, one of the most innovative things I've seen in our industry in my 43 years in optics. They sell themselves. I have 3 locations. We have over 55k annually in retail sales at my main location alone. There are a lot of innovative, think outside the box things you can do with them, like a regressive layer (upside down PAL). They have power layers from +.50 to +2.50. They make them with and without blue blocking tech, They have 3D layers (circular polarized), you can purchase 12 different colors of magnetic crystals that ladies love ( we give all our female patients one set for free when they purchase a power and sun layer. Inevitably, many come back to purchase other colors, or replace lost crystals.) Some patient unfortunately lose their sun layer and return to repurchase (at a discount) or they return for a second sun clip.

Though hand labor intensive, you get faster and better at putting them together. They have an extremely handsome profit margin and set a practice apart from competition. Also IMHO, I don't know if I'd offer them if we didn't do them in house. Having to send a frame away would be a negative. But if you market them right, they will pay for an ME1200 in just over a year. ( I just purchased my second one 6 months ago).

Optical Thingymajig OptiBoard Gold Supporter PartTimer's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    optical24/7, do you mind sharing/PMing the price points you've been successful with? Worked at two different joints that dispensed them, and never hit that "sweet spot" where it made enough money to be worth the trouble. Probably helps that you process them yourself.

OptiBoard Novice OptiBoard Gold Supporter bullseyemt's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They really do sell themselves and they give you free advertising because every time someone buys one they show them off to everyone and of course tell them where they got them. Our edger is programmed to run them and it makes it super simple.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    we average 19 pairs a month. we love them and almost all of us have them.
    pros are they sell them selves, easy to use, lots to choose from....

cons, no scratch warr at all. they nickle and dime us to anything. IE: remakes have a mag fee charge on the lab inv. Not very much profit, as they have doubled in price in the last few years. and not one cent is any discount anywhere...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    we average 19 pairs a month. we love them and almost all of us have them.
    pros are they sell them selves, easy to use, lots to choose from....

cons, no scratch warr at all. they nickle and dime us to anything. IE: remakes have a mag fee charge on the lab inv. Not very much profit, as they have doubled in price in the last few years. and not one cent is any discount anywhere...
    You give an src warranty on the clip lenses? We don't, I'll give a 10% discount on replacements, loss, extra clips. The real profit comes from doing them in house. At 19 pair a month, I can almost guarantee you could pay for a top of the line ME 1200 in two years, from the profit ( not count/figuring in labor.) You will also certainly sell more than 19 a month doing so, especially if you have some type of commission for employees. Who's not using computers hours daily? The cost of a dedicated computer pair of glasses can cost 3-4 times the cost of a clip. We certainly like to sell dedicated sunglasses and computer glasses, but it's cost prohibitive for many..

When seperate, dedicated computer/sunglasses/specialty glasses just isn't in your patient's budget, this gives them the option to address these needs at a fraction of the cost. Even when the nominal fee for clips seems prohibitive, we suggest they "buy into the system". This means get the mags inserted into their primary lenses. After that you can make all the clips they desire ( though possible, I don't retro-fit. It's very difficult to do so flawlessly).

The referals that they produce will also help pay for an edger. I just hope my local competition doesn't read this post! ( that means you Carlos! ​Great guy, good friend...)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    no, no scr warr at all...

prob is that 75% of our pt's are vsp and 55% progessives... which means I cant edge them, id love to tho!
    Last edited by Slim; 06-12-2017 at 03:36 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry Slim, insurance heavy locations will definitely take longer for ROI. Fortunately we're out of network on all. But this system can get you to differentiate yourself to the point of bringing in referals. It definitely requires commitment to go all in to see the benefits of utilizing this product.

* ​Disclaimer, I have no finacial interest in this company. Just a cheerleader..

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by bullseyemt View Post
    They really do sell themselves and they give you free advertising because every time someone buys one they show them off to everyone and of course tell them where they got them. Our edger is programmed to run them and it makes it super simple.
    Which edger, and please don't tell me its a Santinelli or Nidek based......?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Briot Alta

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know our lab wont do it, but, IF we had our own me1200 could you "add" chem clips to a existing pair, with out doing new lenses

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know our lab wont do it, but, IF we had our own me1200 could you "add" chem clips to a existing pair, with out doing new lenses
    You can if....

1. Your willing to accept non-perfection or
    2. Willing to replace a pt's lenses when you don't produce perfection.

I think I've got one of the best set-ups to do these, between my blocker and edger. But it is extremely difficult to achieve the perfection your patients will expect at the price point you are selling them. The problem comes in trying to block the lens perfectly on axis and inset. Off a fraction in any direction results in un-even magnets ( one higher than the other/one inset more than the other.) Once mounted these flaws are noticeable. We're busy enough doing them on new lenses anyway...

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    You can if....

1. Your willing to accept non-perfection or
    2. Willing to replace a pt's lenses when you don't produce perfection.

I think I've got one of the best set-ups to do these, between my blocker and edger. But it is extremely difficult to achieve the perfection your patients will expect at the price point you are selling them. The problem comes in trying to block the lens perfectly on axis and inset. Off a fraction in any direction results in un-even magnets ( one higher than the other/one inset more than the other.) Once mounted these flaws are noticeable. We're busy enough doing them on new lenses anyway...
    A risk we aren't willing to take. Our edgers can barely handle super hydro AR unfortunately. We just started offering Chemistrie through Hoya and so far, so good. It definitely has a draw that is super unique and the price beats a second pair Rx sun!
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In these cases, we just send the entire pair off to Chemistrie in PA directly. They seem able to nail it every time. Just let the pt know they'll be without that frame for 1-2 weeks, and we charge full retail for the clips as they're more expensive than the wholesale labs we use. Not ideal perhaps, but it's a viable option for pts who don't want/need new lenses.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    hmmmm interesting! maybe ill have to look into that

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tips:
    Always Charge separately for the magnet.
    Retro fits require more on-axis sensitivity than inset. I adjust magnet position to be 31/2mm from efge rather than MY standard of 3mm (Chemestrie std is 4mm)
    Then make sun layer at least 1.5mm larger. This will conceal/forgive small misalignments
    B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ooooh so can i request larger cut out for the lenses??

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ooooh so can i request larger cut out for the lenses??
    Standard default is 1.5mm's larger on suns and .5mm on powers. You can (though your outside lab probably won't) make the sun layer a different shape and/or size. Like making a sun clip pilot shape for a smallish rectangular frame.

Occupation
    Great tips all. Much appreciated. Found out that the QM-X3 is Chem ready and the 7-EX is Chem capable, though they will need to be individually programmed. I can start playing with the 7-EX to see how well it will work while waiting for the QM-X3 to arrive. Hoping to be Chem ready when 2018 arrives.
    BTW, any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks all.

Thread Information