Thread: help

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

help

A customer used a old frame for progressive lens replacement. The frame is the same, lens is the same type, I used the existing segment height, the Rx is not significant different. After a week, she comes back and complaint that she can't see clearly. Is it normally happens?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    A new lens after few years, usually a higher addition, which makes the reading area smaller and the distortion to the sides larger and everything look different .

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Any material change? The old and new Rx would help as well as measurements, though it sounds like you did well in replicating.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    She got it in 2015, the add is only a step difference.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't really think so. The material should be the same.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maybe the lab skewed the frame slightly when inserting new lenses? Altering POW would certainly change visual perception. Base curve change? What lens design is it? I've had similar issues with older lens designs, specifically with the old school Varilux Comfort.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    the one she has is comfort.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That's interesting you say that it is Comfort. Try upgrading to DRx. I've had a good amount of success with that move. That's unfortunately the problem with those who have been embedded with an old lens design for so long, they just simply struggle moving to newer designs. Especially if they come to you and ask for exactly what they had previously.

An old colleague of mine once told me that the tools used to surface the old Comfort lenses were never updated. So if you try to order one today, you're likely getting a lens surfaced using an old tool and thus is susceptible to more defects and aberrations, as well as having older machinery that can't perfectly replicate lenses. Not sure what credibility that actually has, but it seems to make logical sense in my head.

I try to phrase the conversation something to the effect of "I would like to change your lens design slightly, simply because there's a newer iteration of your same lens design available. Functionally it will remain very similar, but created with newer instruments."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I really think more clarity is needed about the patient's complaint beyond "can't see clearly." Does that mean everything is blurry at every angle? Or is it (probably) more nuanced than that?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would double check the optical centers are lined up first, but I see that often in this case it is a slight adjustment that needs to be done even though it is a older frame. I would also verify the papillary distance is accurate.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a patient that was in a Sola Synchrony previous year and we gave them a Autograph 3 Var. and they have been back multiple times with trouble seeing at a distance specifically peripheral blur? We have remade the glasses multiple times and the RX, seg. ht, and pd are the same everytime we have triple checked them. They have the same material as old glasses so the only thing I can think of is PG design. Can anyone suggest a different lens design similar to the synchrony or any other suggestions to what the issue could be? I only have access to Shamir, Seiko, Unity and Digital eye lab designs.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Guan View Post
    A customer used a old frame for progressive lens replacement. The frame is the same, lens is the same type, I used the existing segment height, the Rx is not significant different. After a week, she comes back and complaint that she can't see clearly. Is it normally happens?
    Before you redo anything you really need to give us this:

Old rx?
    New rx?
    An oblique axis change would be very significant.

Did you make the original pair?

Same material?

Be more definitive about "can't see clearly". Where? Distance? Near? Peripherally? Everywhere?

How long were the new lenses worn before they came back?

Have you tried a shelf adjustment?

Thread Information