Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: lens crafters lab closings

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper LensCrafters Closing Local Labs: The Era of 1-Hour Specs Dead? ......................

LensCrafters Closing Local Labs: The Era of 1-Hour Specs Dead?

Admin Wolf May 16, 2017

This week we saw a flurry of reports throughout many regions of the US that LensCrafters is shuttering their local labs, and will now rely on large, centralized labs to service their corporate stores.
    With many stores already lacking an in-house lab, and now with local options disappearing, does this mean that the era of “1-hour lenses”, or “same-day lenses” has come to a close?
    Amazon has proven that people are willing to wait up to 2 days if the price and product is right. That very model is killing traditional retailers across the US (including many of the malls where LensCrafters tend to be located!)
    So perhaps this speaks more to a changing retail environment than anything else.
    Will this change impact your practice? Weigh in!

source:
    http://www.philstar.com/entertainmen...-other-passion

snd

https://www.odwire.org/lenscrafters-...our-specs-dead

Last edited by Chris Ryser; 06-10-2017 at 11:42 PM.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post

Admin Wolf May 16, 2017

This week we saw a flurry of reports throughout many regions of the US that LensCrafters is shuttering their local labs, and will now rely on large, centralized labs to service their corporate stores.
    With many stores already lacking an in-house lab, and now with local options disappearing, does this mean that the era of “1-hour lenses”, or “same-day lenses” has come to a close?
    Amazon has proven that people are willing to wait up to 2 days if the price and product is right. That very model is killing traditional retailers across the US (including many of the malls where LensCrafters tend to be located!)
    So perhaps this speaks more to a changing retail environment than anything else.

source:

Chris, could this mean an opportunity still? In some small way, if planned and utilized correctly, another company could try to fill in the void of same day service. As much as people want inexpensive options and online optical is working its way towards that goal, there will be patients who have desperate need of glasses the same day. Whether broken glasses, sunglasses for a vacation, first pair flung upon them due to injury or medical issue, or DMV requirement to get license.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation

Admin Wolf May 16, 2017

source:

Just because Lencrafters is closing labs does not mean fast service is dead. How many Eye Wear express like chains are poping up around the country. At least 3 different ones in Cincinnati all advertising in store labs. I believe this is a great opportunity for the independents to grab this market. Not sure what they are going to do with all that used equipment but an in store lab will probably be a reasonable purchase. Don't forget about FastGrind as an option for a low cost new lab

Occupation

Redhot Jumper The whole trend looks like to go for less costly glasses worldwide...................

I am guessing here that THE LENSCRAFTERs owned by Essilux are banking on becoming service
    centers, for any service rendered on a fee basis. This would have to be in harmony with their many on line companies.

For any glasses being sold there, there will be a normal delay for outside service or they will operate a small cut and grind service.

The whole trend looks like to go for less costly glasses worldwide. A full service lab on site will no more be competitive. Knowing the way of thinking and planning the future of these big corporations I would believe that everything is calculated to the last detail, the most scientific way possible..

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I met with my Ray Ban rep yesterday who informed us that the Ray Ban Rx lab is now up and running. I bring this up here because it happens to be in GA. Not sure if that has anything to do with the fact that the LC labs started closing there first
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    I met with my Ray Ban rep yesterday who informed us that the Ray Ban Rx lab is now up and running. I bring this up here because it happens to be in GA. Not sure if that has anything to do with the fact that the LC labs started closing there first
    Exactly. The facility in Atlanta is expected to outproduce both Columbus and Dallas once it running at full potential. Anyone that was working in an in house lab was given 3 options: First, they could transfer to either the Columbus, Atlanta, Dallas or Knoxville Wholesale Labs. Second, they could switch over to a retail position if possible or third they were offered a severance package
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by newguyaroundhere View Post
    Exactly. The facility in Atlanta is expected to outproduce both Columbus and Dallas once it running at full potential. Anyone that was working in an in house lab was given 3 options: First, they could transfer to either the Columbus, Atlanta, Dallas or Knoxville Wholesale Labs. Second, they could switch over to a retail position if possible or third they were offered a severance package
    Huh, that's actually more reasonable than I had expected.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My neice, who works for LC in Nevada, told me about the lab closings a few weeks ago. If the lab techs have an ABO, they will be reassigned to a different position. If they do not have ABO certification, they were told to hit the road. She said it spoke volumes to the rest of the LC employees on how they will be treated with Essilux in charge.
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I, also, was one of the original "soldiers"..store #25...and am saddened by the whole turn of events

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by skt View Post
    I, also, was one of the original "soldiers"..store #25...and am saddened by the whole turn of events
    It was bound to happen when US Shoe lost control and Ban Hudson stepped away. Lux was thought to be the savior, but they, too, allowed the specter of world domination cloud their judgement. And they have now gone to bed with Essilor.

This Essilor 'merger' was already written on the walls once LUX started taking over Essilor labs and folding them into the Lux empire as LOM labs. As they say, dance with the devil.

I'm just glad that I got out when I did, though it was several years longer than I should have stayed. 22 years is a long time. From a selfish perspective, I have quite a pension built up with Lux, so I really can't wish them ill.

Occupation

Blue Jumper This Essilor 'merger' was already written on the walls ........................

Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post

This Essilor 'merger' was already written on the walls once LUX started taking over Essilor labs and folding them into the Lux empire as LOM labs. As they say, dance with the devil.
    Whatever we say, think and write about them, they are not a company that supplies crappy or lousy quality products and services.

They have always been on the side of providing everything based on best efforts and quality.

Whatever they plan to do with the LC chain, it will be done to improve the quality and services it will provide for the good of the owners corporation.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper

Yeah, the title change has been made with no direction. No one knows what it means because LensCrafters has not given any direction or purpose to the title. It is evident there is a loss of leadership as changes are being made with no real purpose.

They know very well what they are doing. Everythings has a purpose and their studies are in full depth and done by the best people they can find.

Just see what is in the news in the Philippines today:

Tom Finds solace in other ‘passion

By Ver Paulino(The Philippine Star) | Updated June 11, 2017 - 12:00am)

Crizal Prevencia brand ambassador Tom Rodriguez’s passion for digital art is evident in his artworks that showcase creatures from Philippine folklore, superheroes and characters from animé. Above: With (from left) Essilor GM Dr. Emelita Roleda, Crizal Prevencia manager for commercial Dr. Kyle Galias, Crizal Prevencia marketing manager Jinky Navo and host DJ Rica Garcia.

MANILA, Philippines - Everyone is encouraged to see the world in a better light as Essilor recently launched a campaign to raise awareness on the importance of healthy vision featuring brand ambassador Tom Rodriguez.

Tom, with his tantalizing brown eyes, can captivate anyone. But his eyes are not only physical assets that enhance his good looks. Unknown to many, the actor is also a digital artist. As such, Tom gives due importance to eye protection as he teams up with Essilor to take care of his eyes against harmful blue light with Crizal Prevencia.

In the new TVC, Tom is seen going through his everyday routine. It shows that the actor is like many of us, who are also easily exposed to harmful blue light — whether we are in front of our laptops and computers doing work, commuting or checking messages and schedules on our phones.

continue:

http://www.philstar.com/entertainmen...-other-passion

Last edited by Chris Ryser; 06-10-2017 at 11:45 PM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Whatever we say, think and write about them, they are not a company that supplies crappy or lousy quality products and services.

They have always been on the side of providing everything based on best efforts and quality.

Whatever they plan to do with the LC chain, it will be done to improve the quality and services it will provide for the good of the owners corporation.
    And maybe just an itsy teeny weeny bit to do with saving a ton of money on expensive store space and lab personel. Customer be damned if they want fast service.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As the owner of an indie optical, I think this is fantastic news. When the Visionworks across the road from me shut their lab down, our same day business really bumped up. The closest LC to me is 20 miles away, which means my store's potential same-day service reach just expanded 20 miles further east than before. Works for me :)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Java99 View Post
    As the owner of an indie optical, I think this is fantastic news. When the Visionworks across the road from me shut their lab down, our same day business really bumped up. The closest LC to me is 20 miles away, which means my store's potential same-day service reach just expanded 20 miles further east than before. Works for me :)
    Hey Java do you surface/cast in house or just Finished Lenses?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just finish. We only do digital and freeform PALs, and putting in a lab for that in a small retail location does not make sense, as evidenced by the topic of this thread :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Java99 View Post
    Just finish. We only do digital and freeform PALs, and putting in a lab for that in a small retail location does not make sense, as evidenced by the topic of this thread :)
    I'm 100% with you. I've thought about expanding my stock lens power range because of this very thing.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Might be a good idea.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm surprised you guys get that many requests for same day service. I understand if your in a resort area. I'm in suburbia and get, at the most, one-two requests a year for same day. (We can do some in SV with our small inventory), others are usually done next day. Next day seems fast for most of our patients.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    I'm surprised you guys get that many requests for same day service. I understand if your in a resort area. I'm in suburbia and get, at the most, one-two requests a year for same day. (We can do some in SV with our small inventory), others are usually done next day. Next day seems fast for most of our patients.
    Kids and Ill Prepared High Myopes, otherwise I totally agree with you.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    College kids home from school who have been wearing broken glasses for half a semester and now it's an emergency, the occasional eye infection for CL wearers who never think they need back up GLs, and the most seen - the impatient folks, of which I am one. If I'm buying something shiny, new, and pretty, I want it now. It's a benefit to NOT being an online retailer, wouldn't you say? Immediate delivery.

Occupation
    In Maine, most of the state has accepted that travel is necessary for any sort of quality or options. I have people travel from as far as 6 hours away. Yes, we measure distance by hours. Those people are going to want same day service if possible; otherwise we are mailing their glasses to them.

I'm also in a high traffic area- so that contributes to needing fast service for people passing through.

Aside from that, we get a lot of people that make their way to us because no one else will service them due to high Rx, expired Rx, wanting to reuse frames, or anything else out of the ordinary.

We do surfacing and finish work here so we have quite a few options, but we do always tell people that they can get a better product if they are able to wait a couple days (whether that be referring to AR or digital surfacing).

Occupation
    Gotta love how school manages to 'sneak' up on people Every. Single. Year.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Anyone have any more news about LC labs closing? Curious if it is still happening or if they are reconsidering the change. There is one pretty close to our office that could impact business if it closes.

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Manual View Post
    Anyone have any more news about LC labs closing? Curious if it is still happening or if they are reconsidering the change. There is one pretty close to our office that could impact business if it closes.
    As far as I know of, it is still happening. Although I did hear some rumblings that they may consider bringing back finish equipment to certain locations.

All I know is I am glad I jumped ship when I did
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

Thread Information