Thread: sales reps

Bad address email on file
    I am a New York State Licensed optician and wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to get in on the ground level of becoming a frame sales rep. They all want experience but where do you get that if you've been selling and buying these products in a store not outside sales?????

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Tell them you have friends and compeditors in the business that will buy from you. Tell them how many potential customers you are good friends with in the area.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Dear Mitch,
    If you want a job in frame sales keep interviewing for them.The reason frame companies want experienced sales people is that they are looking for a track record with an established customer base.Just because you don't have one doesn't mean you can't build one.Thats what they will be looking for in an interview, the ability to establish rapport. Your optical license may be helpful when calling on opticians, but once you have called on everyone you know, you will find that the field is a lot broader than you may think.There are an awful lot of OD.s and medical practices in any given territory and you will be expected to hit them all as well.Most new optical sales people fail at cold calling on these accounts.Persistance pays off usually, and as long as you can accept rejection (often by your peers) and are willing to put the time and effort into building a customer base, you will be sucessful.This will be what the interviewer will be trying to determine and why the interview is most important.
    Good Luck from Cape Cod

------------------
    Harry J

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Mich,

If I were interviewing you, I would outweigh the "outside" sales experience with your NY license and "inside" optical experience.

We all see frame reps who have zilch experience in the optical business trying to convince us their frame line is the next best thing since mashed potatoes. Unfortunately, the logic of some frame companies seems to follow the idea of being charming and stylish instead of educated and knowlegeable of the demands of optical professionals.

I would much rather buy a new car from a mechanic who knows "ABOUT" the car than a slicked up salesman who doesn't know which end of a screwdriver to use and only knows "HOW" to sell a car.

Regardless of your experience or lack of, the main ingredient of any job is MOTIVATION.
    If this is what you want to do, take the bull by the horns and insist you are the best person for the job.

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    Optical sales experience, opticianry skills and optical business knowledge equals about zero experience when it comes to selling frames, that's one reason they say you have noe experience, you don't! Now, labs need reps, and they might actually sees your experience as an asset. Another factor with frame companies is that there are two things to consider when you're calling on their accounts;1. there is a lot of proprietary information available, and confidentiality could be a problem,2. an licensed optician may cover the territory just long enough to to find a nice "dispensing" position. Sort of like being an employee of an employment agency, just long enough to find that 'just right" job for yourself. Perhaps some frame companies have experienced this, and are now a bit gunshy about hiring folks in this side of the business! So, these are things you would have to address. Al.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How good do you look in a short skirt of a tight blouse???? That usually do it for most frame companies....... ;)

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

mich- having gone this particular route myself I would suggest maybe stsrting with a smaller frame company that would be more accepting of no outside sales experience. That is what I did-technically we weren't that small but we weren't one of the big 3 either. Also the woman who hired me was smart enough to consider my sparkling personality and drive to succeed :) The company went bankrupt a little over a year after I started but I had started with the lab I work for now by then (outside sales experience and a second interview almost 2 years later!) Just keep trying, eventually someone will be smart enough to hire you as opposed to some sales person who used to sell makeup or food products ( no offense to any of us who started that way!!!)

Karen, it didn't hurt that are an attractive young lady. you are also personable and intellegent, but not unatractive. lab reps tend to be more knowledgeable, because they need to be.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Thank you Al! That was very nice of you to say!!!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mich,

Having been there and done most of that I would advise that you think carefully about a career change to frame rep. In my opinion being a frame rep is one of the toughest jobs out there. You go into a doc's office, and you're treated like pond scum. A lot of the frame companies don't give zip for expenses, and a low salary or draw. If the account doesn't stay current (usually after 60 days), you'll lose your commish. Back when I had my own retail/whlse company I used to get calls from headhunters representing professions outside of ophthalmic asking me if I knew of any frame sales reps that might want to make a change. They would always explain that being a frame rep was one of the toughest ways to make a living, and if they could make it there they could make it anywhere! To you frame reps out there, I raise my glass of Diet Pepsi to you: You're a better man/woman than I...........or at least crazier!

Karen, I was just being honest! Larry, I second that toast, I have the highest regard for frame reps; out here in Texas they may have to drive 2 or three hours to see an account who has an appointment, then changes their mind when they show up, pretty sad. the travel, the disrespect many tell me about, being an independent contractor without benefits(generally) all adds up to wondering if you're going to make a living. Some to pretty well, most just get by, but it's a tough lifestyle. Be ever so kind to those who show you the products that you sell for more profit than they make.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist

In my area, opticians don't last as frame reps (but do great as lab reps). Problem is that they know too much about dispensing and can't resist telling the client how to do things and the client gets turned off.

I've seen many opticians come and go.

Selling to the public is much different than selling to a wholesaler. In a retail store, the optician needs to take the upper hand and let the client know what he needs. Selling to the storeowner is much different, the storeowner thinks they know more and doesn't like being "educated".

My best frame reps were a former furniture salesman and a panty-hose saleswoman. They've been profitably with their frame companies over 10 years.

Harry

Bad address email on file
    I am a long time optician and recently acquired a job as a rep with a major frame manufacturer. What did it for me was one, being friends with one of their reps and secondly, a good resume. I figured if I could sell a titanium frame and AR to blue-hairs I could sell frames to doctors and opticians. If you are serious about pursuing a job as a rep, ask the reps you are friendly with to keep an ear out for openings. Like said earlier, look for lab rep positions too and lens manufactors such as Pentax and Vision-Ease have ads in the trade mags for reps. Good luck with your pursuit.

Thread Information