Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: If you thought Opternative was bad enough...

Occupation
    Optometrist
    What's more, consider the compounding of error from a crappy online refraction, an online frame selection, and lenses made by God-knows-whom.

Not to mention at your (or those like you) axial length you would need a periodic DFE, which is frankly not going to happen in these situations. But let's leave that alone.

Is it really worth it?

Are we supposed to shrug it off? Get with the cool kids?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Pretty damn amazing they got your cyl axis exactly as before. Not! Sounds like they can't do jack squat without piggybacking on a real ODs old work! I could read your case history, have your old SpRx, and add the proverbial "1/2 D more minus". Garbage.

Now, as I said, if your avatar is a reflection of your age, you are far from presbyopia. But what if you bump up your minus a 1/2D OU and you're, say, 41? Does Dr. Opternative consider your near vision? Consider how long you want to keep these glasses (surely you wear contact lenses) and plan for the future with a starter PAL (or at least a digital "eyestrain" design)?

Did Dr. Opternative offer you a better binocular experience by recommending FFSV lenses what with that unilateral cyl?

Garbage.
    My avatar photo was taken about 2 months ago. I assure you I will turn 40 in about a week. Tiny images are more effective than wrinkle cream.

Of course just adding sphere is crap. But it will work for the time being, assuming I can still see anything up close, but I am beginning to struggle with fine detail. But I'm a -7.00, I think all near details should be as good as with my gls off, and of course I know it never will be.

This test was a band-aid between real exams, but it looks to be a good band-aid.

We will see what they do with my husband's rx.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I know you're running an experiment.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know you're running an experiment.
    ??

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Java99 View Post
    My avatar photo was taken about 2 months ago. I assure you I will turn 40 in about a week. Tiny images are more effective than wrinkle cream.

Of course just adding sphere is crap. But it will work for the time being, assuming I can still see anything up close, but I am beginning to struggle with fine detail. But I'm a -7.00, I think all near details should be as good as with my gls off, and of course I know it never will be.

This test was a band-aid between real exams, but it looks to be a good band-aid.

We will see what they do with my husband's rx.
    Did you trial frame the new RX and check your near vision?
    What is reality but a concept unique to each of us? Can anything be classed as real when our perceptions differ greatly on so many things? Just because we see something a particular way does not make it so.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    Did you trial frame the new RX and check your near vision?
    No, and in Texas I can't do that. I am an optician and that would be considered practicing optometry.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Tell me both posts are jokes.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tell me both posts are jokes.
    I don't know which two you mean, but I haven't posted a joke.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    You can't trial frame your OWN case.

But you can get an illegal refraction?

I'm sensing a conflict, here.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm only practicing optometry if I change an RX right? I mean wearing a "trial frame" is no different than me surfacing a couple pairs of lenses and edging them, just a much more convenient less attractive option.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You can't trial frame your OWN case.

But you can get an illegal refraction?

I'm sensing a conflict, here.
    The conflict would would be in how the laws are written. My online refraction was signed off on by a real live doc, so it's legal. For now, anyway. If I worked for an OD I could trial frame myself. But I don't, and the law is pretty specific.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A very enlightening experiment! Thanks for shelling out the $ and sharing the results, Java!

Dr K thinks Optnerntaive should pay your old OD royalties for his/her axis determination. In your recent Optnertative experience, what part of the exam was used to determine your axis? Using your best educated guess, how precise would you say the methodology could possibly be?

Since I wear boots instead of shoes, will it do a conversion to walk me off the computer monitor, I wonder?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayde View Post
    A very enlightening experiment! Thanks for shelling out the $ and sharing the results, Java!

Dr K thinks Optnerntaive should pay old OD should get royalties for his/her axis determination. In your recent Optnertative experience, what part of the exam was used to determine your axis? Using your best educated guess, how precise would you say the methodology could possibly be?

Since I wear boots instead of shoes, will it do a conversion to walk me off the computer monitor, I wonder?
    As I supplied the prior rx, they did not test for axis. On my husband's test, they tested for axis by showing two sets of black/white lines 90 degrees apart. We don't have his results yet.

In all seriousness, you are asked for your shoe size and then told to remove your footwear for the test.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In all seriousness, you are asked for your shoe size and then told to remove your footwear for the test.
    Oh yes! What could possibly go wrong there! :)

(I can't remember the last time I met someone who answered "what is your shoe size?" with just one number. Doesn't everyone in creation answer with "[X] or [X].5...depends.")
    The first time I attempted the Opternative exam, my desk was too close to the back wall, and I couldn't truthfully comply with the parameters. I wonder how many DIY patients that will actually stop?

Sorry to quote myself, but if I love my lab and don't want to needlessly abuse their remake allowances--I think I'd have to decline Opternative scripts altogether.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No, and in Texas I can't do that. I am an optician and that would be considered practicing optometry.

This is incorrect. You can verify an Rx w/trial frame. You just can't prescribe/alter an Rx with your findings. You most certainly can verify/show a client what to expect with a trial frame. It's a great way to verify when you have anything *weird* walk in. As an example we had a new pt. come in with one sph in minus, one in plus. We verified the Rx was incorrectly written. A quick call to the prescriber got us a new Rx faxed and a thank you for catching it.

Sure, we could have called for verification just because it looked on the surface to be fishy. Some offices don't like you to question their findings though. We also use it when patients ask if their change is enough to warrant new lenses. You should consider adding a trial frame to your dispensary, there is positively nothing written in Tx. optometry law to prevent you, ( granted, with the disclaimer I mentioned above).

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Think of it this way, you are not refracting with a trial frame (though, it's possible) you are simply " filling the Rx as written", in a free trial frame version. No laws broken, I'm intimately familiar with Tx Optometry law. What passage concerns you?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Think of it this way, you are not refracting with a trial frame (though, it's possible) you are simply " filling the Rx as written", in a free trial frame version. No laws broken, I'm intimately familiar with Tx Optometry law. What passage concerns you?
    None of it concerned me when the optician's registry was still operating, putting us under the purview of the DOH. When the registry went away, governance of opticians went to the optometry board. Because it is possible to refract using a trial frame, I'm not going there.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    In the USA half the States are not even regulated for the sellers of the end result = the glasses.
    Seriously - enough with the "regulated states are somehow superior" garbage. The reality is there are non / un licensed opticians all over that could school any number of "licensed" opticians. And we all well know that the majority of states are un licensed. Even among the few left that still are, the requirements are all over the map. It is no more a guarantee of any level of specific quality than an ABOM certificate on the wall. Or a basic ABO. Or an Elf-Spotting certificate from John Oliver.

I fail to see how any court of law would consider trial framing any SRx would be considered "practicing optometry". Rather, that's basic opticianry / optical dispensing 101. Even a backwards Texas court would be hard pressed to legally make that case I have to think.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post

I fail to see how any court of law would consider trial framing any SRx would be considered "practicing optometry". Rather, that's basic opticianry / optical dispensing 101. Even a backwards Texas court would be hard pressed to legally make that case I have to think.
    I agree, but a court could waste a lot of time and money coming to that conclusion. Besides, I don't need to trial frame to do my job well, and if something is wonky, I feel like it's better to start the conversation with the doc myself, rather than troubleshoot when I don't have the medical record or the same training. Most of the time whatever issue would lead to trial-framing can be handled in a conversation anyway. And even if I used up my, and my customer's time, trial framing, the doc is still going to want to see that patient back anyway. So why even go there?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree, but a court could waste a lot of time and money coming to that conclusion. Besides, I don't need to trial frame to do my job well, and if something is wonky, I feel like it's better to start the conversation with the doc myself, rather than troubleshoot when I don't have the medical record or the same training. Most of the time whatever issue would lead to trial-framing can be handled in a conversation anyway. And even if I used up my, and my customer's time, trial framing, the doc is still going to want to see that patient back anyway. So why even go there?
    I vigorously disagree with almost all of this. But to each their own.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The only reason docs want to see the patient back after they've done their eye health gatekeeping, refracted and generated the final Rx is CONTROL!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Helping the world see and feel better.

Helping the world see and feel better.

Opternative is not a replacement for a comprehensive eye health examination. Our licensed Ophthalmologists use Opternative’s on-line technology to evaluate a patient's visual acuity and a portion of the ocular health profile, diagnose refractive error, and issue a prescription for corrective eyewear, where clinically appropriate. If you need help finding an eye care professional near you.

https://help.opternative.com

Occupation
    Optometrist
    ^^ gag ^^

Uillean, don't you think "some regulation" is better than "no regulation"? I do.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    So let me get this straight.

If you supply Opternative with your old Rx, they don't even bother checking astigmatism axis? What...the...(expletive here)?

And it costs real money, right? Not like bitcoin or monopoly money or drachmas.

Tell me you are indeed joking about shoes and refracting. Please. I feel like a sucker even asking.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    The only reason docs want to see the patient back after they've done their eye health gatekeeping, refracted and generated the final Rx is CONTROL!
    Yes. Quality control is indeed important. Thanks for noting that.

Thread Information