Thread: repeat complaints about coworker

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

repeat complaints about coworker

I work for an office that has multiple locations and each location has its own optician. We aren't that busy so one optician is enough for most days. I have from time to time filled in at one office or another and when I go to one in particular I get comments from patients about how much happier and nicer I seem than the other person that normally works there. I will also get people that drive to my location because they don't like the person from that location. The problems range from not being friendly to more often than not being condescending. Some say they weren't listened to and were made to feel like they had to get what he was offering . I also get the distinct impression this person does not care for Medicaid patients. I am not sure what I should do with this information. I don't know if I should talk to the manager or not. We don't get comments like this often but I think their are more people that feel this way than we know. The flip side is this person is a skilled optician with a lot of knowledge and experience. We have some people that only want to see this person for their glasses. I think though if everyone was being treated equally everyone would want this person working on their glasses and we would hear mostly praise with very little grumbling but its seems to me it isn't so. I also feel like I cannot say or should not say anything because this person has been with the company for many years more than me, has a lot more experience than me also. Some of the problem could also be his demeanor. How many complaints do I need to hear before the issue needs to be addressed by our manager. This is obviously not just a couple of unhappy patients but is an ongoing issue Really breaks my heart to see people especially our patients being treated poorly .

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Happy workforce=happy customers. Since this seems to be an issue, the best thing to do is to talk you your supervisor about this. Unfortunately, some highly skilled professionals forget that they are indeed professionals and need to let their experience enhance the experience, not let their knowledge rule the encounter.

OptiBoard Professional Kujiradesu's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by glassesface View Post
    I work for an office that has multiple locations and each location has its own optician. We aren't that busy so one optician is enough for most days. I have from time to time filled in at one office or another and when I go to one in particular I get comments from patients about how much happier and nicer I seem than the other person that normally works there. I will also get people that drive to my location because they don't like the person from that location. The problems range from not being friendly to more often than not being condescending. Some say they weren't listened to and were made to feel like they had to get what he was offering . I also get the distinct impression this person does not care for Medicaid patients. I am not sure what I should do with this information. I don't know if I should talk to the manager or not. We don't get comments like this often but I think their are more people that feel this way than we know. The flip side is this person is a skilled optician with a lot of knowledge and experience. We have some people that only want to see this person for their glasses. I think though if everyone was being treated equally everyone would want this person working on their glasses and we would hear mostly praise with very little grumbling but its seems to me it isn't so. I also feel like I cannot say or should not say anything because this person has been with the company for many years more than me, has a lot more experience than me also. Some of the problem could also be his demeanor. How many complaints do I need to hear before the issue needs to be addressed by our manager. This is obviously not just a couple of unhappy patients but is an ongoing issue Really breaks my heart to see people especially our patients being treated poorly .
    I would say its bad form to talk out of school about a colleague and fellow professional. Its common for us to see fault in other's methods and think that the way that we would have handled a certain situation is how another person should have too. Its the old, "everyone who drives faster than me is a maniac; anyone driving slower than me is an idiot" mentality. However, patients lie, embellish, and fib to make themselves feel better about bad behavior, or when they are in the wrong or ill informed or both (Understandably, this is less likely if you're consistently hearing the same complaints from multiple people, but still).You may be completely correct in your concerns too, but its not really your place to rectify the situation if one exists. If you really feel strongly I would mention your observations to your direct supervisor (not the other Optician's supervisor). If going this route, try to present your concerns in as much of a non-accusatory manner as possible i.e. I keep hearing XYZ from every patient at OTHER OFFICE why do you think that is? Or something like that. Hope this was helpful.

I have run into a few colleagues that didn't measure up to the profession in my opinion, but until their supervisors recognize that fact they still should be afforded the respect and deference you would give to any other optician. I wish I had learned this earlier in my career.
    Optical Cross: n. crucifixion apparatus used by the New Jersey State Board.

"It is not knowing, but the love of learning, that characterizes the scientific [person]." -Charles Sanders Peirce

"A concept is a brick. It can be used to build a courthouse of reason. Or it can be thrown through the window. -Gilles Deleuze

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujiradesu View Post
    I would say its bad form to talk out of school about a colleague and fellow professional. Its common for us to see fault in other's methods and think that the way that we would have handled a certain situation is how another person should have too. Its the old, "everyone who drives faster than me is a maniac; anyone driving slower than me is an idiot" mentality. However, patients lie, embellish, and fib to make themselves feel better about bad behavior, or when they are in the wrong or ill informed or both (Understandably, this is less likely if you're consistently hearing the same complaints from multiple people, but still).You may be completely correct in your concerns too, but its not really your place to rectify the situation if one exists. If you really feel strongly I would mention your observations to your direct supervisor (not the other Optician's supervisor). If going this route, try to present your concerns in as much of a non-accusatory manner as possible i.e. I keep hearing XYZ from every patient at OTHER OFFICE why do you think that is? Or something like that. Hope this was helpful.

I have run into a few colleagues that didn't measure up to the profession in my opinion, but until their supervisors recognize that fact they still should be afforded the respect and deference you would give to any other optician. I wish I had learned this earlier in my career.
    I agree with Kujuradesu. When your job responsibilities include C.S. of the other location, then you can wade in with good form. Until then, you'd be operating on second-hand information on something that isn't any of your business. If this was your direct coworker and you both shared responsibility for the same patient encounters and the issues are something you witness first hand, then yeah that's what a supervisor is for. It's important to remember, though--by insinuating yourself into the other store's issues, you're implicitly declaring there's a dysfunction in the store's management and its supervision--not just the staffing. I don't know too many area/regional managers who'll regard you as the superhero who saved the chain's local reputation for starting a stink. They'll have to consider the possibility that you're bucking for a promotion and find throwing colleagues under the bus a perfectly acceptable way to advance yourself.

I don't doubt your motives are for the patients and your brand's best interest. If your organization has an anonymous hotline for this sort of thing, you may consider it. However, before you do, I'd reflect on what you really know versus what you really don't...and would you think it fair if someone inspired a corporate look into your work based on as much/as little direct information?

Your organization would probably be a lot more responsive to direct patient complaints. If there's a CS hotline, then they can use it. If you believe there is a real problem, then you can professionally remind patients of that hotline whenever they have issues that aren't getting resolved at the store.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayde View Post
    Your organization would probably be a lot more responsive to direct patient complaints. If there's a CS hotline, then they can use it. If you believe there is a real problem, then you can professionally remind patients of that hotline whenever they have issues that aren't getting resolved at the store.
    Absolutely, perfect advice. If the customers really are complaining and that dissatisfied, let them tell it to your company. Customers get a voice, you're not the bad guy, and management will be more inclined to listen and act.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have in the past debated on giving these patients a number to call but I thought by going to my manager and talking we could help solve the issue. My manager knows me well enough to know I am not throwing anyone under the bus and that I only want the best possible outcome for everyone.i think giving them a number to call so that way if they make the choice to call I can be taken out of the equation and the weight of the issue isn't on my shoulders. I hate going to a manager about stuff like this not because I am afraid in getting someone in trouble because that isn't how we operate. I just don't want to be the office headache or labeled a tattle tale.

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm always going to have my coworker's back, as I would want them to have mine. If a customer has a complaint I direct them to call and ask for management and stay out of it. Or I take their name and number and pass the information onto management. If I do get patients who prefer me over coworkers, I just give them my business card, apologize for any potential misunderstanding, and reassure them from now on they are welcome to request me. I show them my phone number and tell them they can call and make sure I'm working when they plan to come in. This offers support to the patient without putting down another optician.
    What is reality but a concept unique to each of us? Can anything be classed as real when our perceptions differ greatly on so many things? Just because we see something a particular way does not make it so.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    There may never be a correct answer for this from a non-management perspective. Larger corporations do have anonymous lines to register concerns such as these, but many smaller shops do not.
    A caveat to think about. Many studies show, for every consumer complaint that goes unheard, 5 spread to friends and family. If you do the math, these unregistered complaints could mean the death of a small business.
    As a manager, I would like to be given a heads up about ANY service related concern, regardless of location. A non-retaliation policy exists in most companies, small or large. Of course, there is a wrong way to approach this. Situations like this need to be handled delicately, without throwing anyone under the bus, especially a co-worker. Handled correctly, however, management can keep a sharper lookout. Competent management, that is.
    I would still suggest speaking to your direct manager/supervisor about this, without using names. Your manager can then have a conversation with the manager of the affected location. I would definitely appreciate this type of call should one of my staff behave like this behind my back.

Having a co-worker's back is expected, but at what cost to your customers? To the business? This industry is under attack from all angles. On-line services, 2-fer discounters, chains, and wholesale clubs. To differentiate your business from the riff-raff, quality of service, products and knowledge are key. All three are necessary. A breakdown in any of these factors may send the customers looking for another place to do business. Is having a negligent co-worker's back worth the loss of business?

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Hmmm, small business certainly has a different approach.

When I worked at a corporate chain I would direct patients to the corporate number for all concerns regarding service or product. Now, I work with 'family', so if someone at my location is causing problems we address it directly. If it is at another location, I will have my GM contact their GM- and depending on if it's golf season- the owner.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think your post suggests you're a good manager, lens. Hopefully GF's mgr is too, (and it sounds like s/he is.) Honestly, if I were in the manager's shoes, then I'd appreciate an informal heads up first, too, in hopes of getting a situation addressed quietly without regional attention if it's not necessary. I think a carefully worded tip just like Kijurdesu wrote would probably be fine. The thing is, one you put your chip on that number and spin, you have to live with the results--even if your estimation of your manager's discretion & judgment was a little too high. Personally, that's a risk I'd be willing to take--I prefer to find out if I'm wrong about relationships as early as possible, lol. But if we assume an average corporation with an average pool of average managers picking average staff producing average problems like this...risk aversion can't be bad advice.

Regarding 'loyalties,' it must be to the patient. If this is health care, then we have to be sustaining a cultural ethic that looks out for the patient's care and privacy. Yet that doesn't include assuming "the customer is always right," or trusting their perception, honest though it may be, about what really transpired we weren't there to witness. Making that assumption would be bad health care and we have to be sober about that reality, too.

This anecdote doesn't trip any of those red alarms. The guy in question is allegedly gruff with patients. Given the specificity and volume of the complaints, there's probably something to that and he could afford to have his bedside manner polished. However, I haven't heard anything indicting him of bad health care. There are possible explanations to this anecdote where the store and its management are making some awkward but acceptable changes to their business. 9% of the eyeglass market consists of 'chronically dissatisfied' who rarely repeat a provider for each exam cycle. Lower price point providers get a larger portion of that 9%. An optician used to a different general customer profile in previous positions may indeed be off-balance for a different and challenging one. Everyone deserves health care and the company is to be lauded for serving all they can. Still, it's entitled to keep an eye on the financial bottom line and adjust their service strategy accordingly. That can cause waves of hyperbole to echo outward that sound exactly like this, too.

Or it could really be the guy just got old and grouchy in dispensing. For whatever reason, we opticians seem to be susceptible to it. When it happens to me, I hope there's a lab somewhere who'll take me in....

Thread Information