Thread: Topcon LM-6E: Calibration

OptiBoard Professional Kujiradesu's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Topcon LM-6E: Calibration

Recently purchased this bonnie beauty of a manual lensometer (lensmeter?). It came with no guarantee of calibration, just that the bulb worked and the reticle is visible through the eyepiece. I have used this particular model for months at my current shop and love it to death. Accurate, reliable, and dots as straight as an arrow. I have much experience repairing and servicing the B&L style vertometers; so I figured that giving this little salaryman of a lensmeter a shine and a polish wouldnt be too difficult.

After receiving the lensmeter, I took her out for a spin and the mires seem to be straight and accurate, the reticle is focused and zeros out nicely. Axis is beautiful and ramrod straight.

My one issue is the prism compensating ring. I can zero it out, and it falls right into dead center of the reticle at 0-180, but when I move the prism axis on the prism compensating ring to 90 it wanders. Im not sure how this can be adjusted, so anyone who has done this work before please let me know how it can be done. Ive googled to no avail. Also, I have access to a Gaugemaster, if that would help in calibrating this (I dont think so, but Its worth throwing out there).

Any help the community could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Optical Cross: crucifixion apparatus used by the New Jersey State Board.

OptiBoard Professional Kujiradesu's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    UPDATE: So Ive been thinking about what to do about this issue since I posted this. Tonight I resolved to disassemble the prism compensation ring and the objective lens of the telescope to see what could be done. I figured, if its hooped I cant make it worse, but I might be able to figure it out. After removing the Prism compensation ring the objective lens fell right out. The wandering of the mires when using the prism compensating ring probably had to do with the fact that the objective lens was loose. There are three set screws that needed to be tightened and adjusted. I centered the objective lens and tightened the set screws, replaced the prism compensation ring and re-centered that using its two set screws, and I was in like sin. Reverified with my Gaugemaster and shes purring like a kitten.
    Optical Cross: crucifixion apparatus used by the New Jersey State Board.

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Optitech USA's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    You sound like me. I would lie awake at night thinking about it.
    Jason Paoli
    1-855-589-1910
    jpaoli@optitechusa.com

www.optitechusa.com

Thread Information