Thread: Evaluation of Ophthalmic Materials

OptiBoard Professional Kujiradesu's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Evaluation of Ophthalmic Materials

Just picked up a copy of Clinical Optics for my library. I was reading about RX verification from the lab and came across reference to this article http://pdfs.journals.lww.com/optviss...zHkiaDWKRWPw==

Evaluation of Ophthalmic Materials by Augsberger

Does anyone track their rejection rate vs. time at the lab like they suggest in this article? How do you do it? (I.e. Computer or paper etc.) Suggestions on how to implement such a systematic approach? I know this article is nearly 40 years old. Has there been improvement on this method that Im not aware of in the intervening time?
    Optical Cross: n. crucifixion apparatus used by the New Jersey State Board.

"It is not knowing, but the love of learning, that characterizes the scientific [person]." -Charles Sanders Peirce

"A concept is a brick. It can be used to build a courthouse of reason. Or it can be thrown through the window. -Gilles Deleuze

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    We track all redos, not just rejection rates, but Dr changes, SH changes, frame quality, etc through our LMS and POS systems, as well as paper based returns. These results are shared with the lab staff, as well as the entire management team, primarily for training purposes, as well as equipment troubleshooting. Redos based on production quality is discussed with the lab team weekly. We require all of our mounting and QA staff to sign off on a checklist. That checklist is then sent with the eyewear and the inspecting/dispensing optician is then required to send that checklist along with the rejected eyewear to us. I then run reports on a monthly basis to share with the entire management team. If I notice an immediate trend from any of our locations, I then contact the specific supervisor to discuss the findings.

One constant that we see, the longer the TAT due to quality or backlog issues, the lower the return rate due to cosmetics. The shorter the TAT, which is currently 2 days, the higher the return rate due to cosmetics. The return rate due to 'out of standards' remain constant regardless of TAT.

Myself, and my QA team review all lab remakes. We find that close to half are actually within standards, both cosmetically and optically. Some of these redos, unfortunately, is attributed to tired eyeballs and judgement calls. The culture that we cannot change is the basics of lensometry and the ability of the opticians properly reading compensated RXs. We have to put this part solely on the shoulders of the location supervisors. Even the cosmetic standards are all over the spectrum. Some use the brightest light possible and hold the lenses up to that light to look for any anomaly. And I mean any. So much for ANSI and Colts standards.

I'm not sure if this fully answers your questions.

Thread Information