Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 11 Things Your Optician Wish You Knew!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    11. Never EVER go to Dr Google and look for "alternative" medicine site to justify putting Neosporin on your cornea for that metallic foreign body you were to cheap to have properly removed a week ago by a trained doctor! But of course, now that you've waited and self-medicated with disastrous results, we are happy to do all the extra work required to get you healthy again - and charge you appropriately for the doctor's time, knowledge, and expertise.

12. (I know it was just to go to 11, but this guy came in right after FB guy, and it bears telling in this thread) We all loved the old Revo lenses. Who Didn't really? Buy when you come in spouting absolute nonsense like: "Do they still make their lenses with 27 layer glass?", and "They were the very best lenses for WELDING!" (proudly displaying your pitted/mangled/utterly destroyed old lenses) and my personal favorite: "I refuse to wear that garbage poly. It destroys more than 50% of your vision! I bet 'you people' didn't even know that, but it's true, and you should be very careful not to use it or you'll get sued!"

Dude. You're a grade A idiot. You have literally NO idea what you're talking about, and are clearly a danger both to yourself, and to others. You should be put in a large plastic bubble, and no longer allowed to interact with those around you. Ever.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    11. Never EVER go to Dr Google and look for "alternative" medicine site to justify putting Neosporin on your cornea for that metallic foreign body you were to cheap to have properly removed a week ago by a trained doctor! But of course, now that you've waited and self-medicated with disastrous results, we are happy to do all the extra work required to get you healthy again - and charge you appropriately for the doctor's time, knowledge, and expertise.

12. (I know it was just to go to 11, but this guy came in right after FB guy, and it bears telling in this thread) We all loved the old Revo lenses. Who Didn't really? Buy when you come in spouting absolute nonsense like: "Do they still make their lenses with 27 layer glass?", and "They were the very best lenses for WELDING!" (proudly displaying your pitted/mangled/utterly destroyed old lenses) and my personal favorite: "I refuse to wear that garbage poly. It destroys more than 50% of your vision! I bet 'you people' didn't even know that, but it's true, and you should be very careful not to use it or you'll get sued!"

Dude. You're a grade A idiot. You have literally NO idea what you're talking about, and are clearly a danger both to yourself, and to others. You should be put in a large plastic bubble, and no longer allowed to interact with those around you. Ever.

LOL I know that Neosporin patient! Two or three times over, come to think of it...

Just like the clickbait lists, I've noticed many of them ignore the number and keep going too. So our "11" is a very loose one.

By 'loose' I mean completely ignorable.

Now Uilleann, when we edit these, we're gonna have to gently rephrase some of your points so the patient actually wants to come back to the Optical--because we love them and can't do business without them! (Them and their Neosporin-glazed scleras.)

What scares me about your glass guy is that I fear some 'professional' told him polycarbonate was 'destroying 50%' of his vision...he may not have had far to exaggerate from the misinformation he might have been given...yikes!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayde View Post
    LOL I know that Neosporin patient! Two or three times over, come to think of it...

Just like the clickbait lists, I've noticed many of them ignore the number and keep going too. So our "11" is a very loose one.

By 'loose' I mean completely ignorable.

Now Uilleann, when we edit these, we're gonna have to gently rephrase some of your points so the patient actually wants to come back to the Optical--because we love them and can't do business without them! (Them and their Neosporin-glazed scleras.)

What scares me about your glass guy is that I fear some 'professional' told him polycarbonate was 'destroying 50%' of his vision...he may not have had far to exaggerate from the misinformation he might have been given...yikes!
    Hehehe - sorry, I get a bit heated when reliving the memory of such unbridled stupidity. ;) Edit as needed. I don't think it was an ECP. Probably a chat room or "optics" related place he found in some dark, dank corner of the interwebs. Like Oakley's website. Becaue, you know, their "plutonite with unobtanium particles and iridiumized super awesome lenses are SO much better than anything in the entire history of man, past, present or future!" Hehehehe

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ugh,,this reminds me of a friend on facebook who was asking for home remedies for her son's pink eye. Some of the suggestions were vasoline and breast milk!
    What is reality but a concept unique to each of us? Can anything be classed as real when our perceptions differ greatly on so many things? Just because we see something a particular way does not make it so.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    There is no "exercise" or "training regiment" to correct your Vision and by this I mean your RX. Vision therapy is something completely different from what I am talking about.
    If someone tells you that glasses ruin or weaken yours to become dependent on wearing glasses, walk away.
    If someone tells you that doing some sort of vision exercise will reduce your RX or eliminate you need to wear glasses altogether, walk away.
    The muscles in your eyes don't work that way. You can't "bench press" your eye into become stronger and more fit.
    Especially if their website tells you they had to move to another country in order to collect your money..I mean..help teach you to see better.
    You want an exercise that will help your vision? Put down the cell phone and tablet, or step away from the TV or computer. Allow your eyes to rest from that near focus range by focusing on something else in the distance.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    literally had 2 of these just after reading these! lol

Hi, Im kelly I have an appt...
    Were sorry I dont have a kelly on the sched.
    well it was for 9am...
    oh are you gail? not kelly?
    yeah gail..

SMH

now this guy sat down with the other optician...
    points gls to her and says...
    I got these "scratch free lenses" and there are a bunch of scratches right in the middle of my vision...
    Im very careful with them!

optician wants to say they look like they rode across the country lens down in the center console...

PT goes on to say "I use tissue to clean them..."
    my eye twitched from here...

thanks for the laffs today all.. front desk LOVED the name things
    Last edited by Slim; 06-02-2017 at 11:29 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    We know, beyond all reasonable doubt, that your jacked up frame didn't "just come out of the case" like that. You sat on them, stepped on them, had Auntie Louise sit on them, or any one of a thousand other things happen to them. It's okay. You don't have to give us some story about how you just went to bed and put them in the case and that somehow, during the night, when no one was around, your frame just crumpled upon itself. Just hand us the frame, ask kindly if we can help, and don't get angry if we can't.
    Somewhat along these lines...A few years ago I had a guy bring in a pair of Armani's. He wanted green plano's put in them, no problem. Done same day, sent on his way....

About a month later he called me to see if anybody brought his "original" Armani's in. ( of course not..) I asked him if he had lost them. He said no, " Someone came in the dead of night and stole HIS Armani's out of the case" and EXCHANGED them with "Fake" Armani's. Just for grins I asked him if the lenses in the *fake* glasses were green also. Yes they were, and they did a remarkable job duplicating the shade of green!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamEye View Post
    There is no "exercise" or "training regiment" to correct your Vision and by this I mean your RX. Vision therapy is something completely different from what I am talking about.
    If someone tells you that glasses ruin or weaken yours to become dependent on wearing glasses, walk away.
    If someone tells you that doing some sort of vision exercise will reduce your RX or eliminate you need to wear glasses altogether, walk away.
    The muscles in your eyes don't work that way. You can't "bench press" your eye into become stronger and more fit.
    Especially if their website tells you they had to move to another country in order to collect your money..I mean..help teach you to see better.
    You want an exercise that will help your vision? Put down the cell phone and tablet, or step away from the TV or computer. Allow your eyes to rest from that near focus range by focusing on something else in the distance.
    These are just so ridiculous! Like doing kegels will magically allow you not have to pee for an entire month. Same idiotic mentality - and complete LACK of any scientific basis whatsoever!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Back to insurance and well beyond "11 things..." by now:

Yes, I can ask for you Social Security number. You may not like it but there are insurance/vision/medical plans out there that require us to have that number in order to identify you in their system. The last four may suffice while other times we need all the digits.
    We understand that you don't like giving it out and you want to protect your privacy and personal information from being stolen.
    Refusing to give that number to us limits our ability to help you. If you want to have that changed or to complain about it being used, talk to your insurance company. We have no say in that matter.

Outside of insurance:
    IF you are not a optometrist, ophthalmologist, optician, or some other medical professional in relate-able field, we can not give you an "authorization" for you to call the pharmacist in order to get you RX refilled. We can only talk to those professionals directly at their office.
    We can give you your glasses RX via fax, mail, or you can come in and pick it you. No, we can't email your RX to you or give you the numbers over the phone. Debatable on their use, their are laws that prevent us sending them to you via email as email is considered "unsecured" for personal medical information transferal. You may want to argue that can be said about faxes, but that is what we have to follow for the current rules.
    A hand written or typed page with your "RX" that is not from the doctor does not count. Example, I had a patient show me an email in which someone typed what looked like an RX into a MS Word document with no formatting or setup that made it appear to be a professional RX. I told the patient that I can't use this as it has no doctor signature, his license number, exam/expiration date, or other professional identifiers. I asked him where did he get his exam done so I could get an official RX from the doctor. They argued that it was the numbers and that was all that was necessary, and didn't want me to check with the doctor. Needless to say, they left unhappy as I refused to use that typed page as an official RX.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Resource Question

Any suggestions for best websites that provide resources for lens products? Experiences with products that are best for patients?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    p.s. I can tell that you tried to adjust your glasses at home because you bent them in some very weird and wrong ways. They didn't get that way on their own. And I don't care if you are a brain surgeon, let me put the screws in your spring hinge frames before you attempt to put them in upside down and wreck the frame(I don't try to operate on brains).
    What is reality but a concept unique to each of us? Can anything be classed as real when our perceptions differ greatly on so many things? Just because we see something a particular way does not make it so.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    So I've handed you your beautiful new pair of glasses and asked you to try them on. They look great! Is everything clear looking around the room? Yes? Perfect!
    Now I'll hand you a reading card....

For some reason this is where people get stumped. I get anything from 'What do you want me to do?' to 'Let me read this whole card out loud to you.'

Please just tell me if you can't read the small print. That is all I need. Thank you and goodbye.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Safety Glasses: These glasses are made for the protecting your eyes. There are stipulations and regulations in the manufacturing of safety glasses.

Plan on wearing your safety glasses as your everyday pair or won't be using your old pair of safety glasses for safety use anymore? Sorry, but that safety stamp must still be there on the lens. No, I can't buff the stamp off for you or have the stamp redone lighter so it can't be seen. See below on the topic of side shields.

No, I can't make your Ray-Bans into safety glasses. They aren't made the same way to be safety rated.

I can't control or help that safety frames look "ugly" to you. They typically don't make safety glasses to be for regular everyday dress wear. Yes, Wiley X and a few others have some nicer looking options, but you will pay more for them. And also, because they are more expensive, your company is less likely to pay for them.

If your company is paying for them, I can't control what they will and will not cover. If they say you must have side shields permanently attached to the frame, I will not give you removable side shields nor will I take off/break off the permanent side shields. If they are broken off, you will be charged the cost of replacing and mounting the new shields.
    If your company doesn't allow Transitions, tinting, or polarization for your safety glasses, I can't sneak them on the order for you or override the authorization.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    So I've handed you your beautiful new pair of glasses and asked you to try them on. They look great! Is everything clear looking around the room? Yes? Perfect!
    Now I'll hand you a reading card....

For some reason this is where people get stumped. I get anything from 'What do you want me to do?' to 'Let me read this whole card out loud to you.'

Please just tell me if you can't read the small print. That is all I need. Thank you and goodbye.
    And why do they always start reading the 32 Pt. print?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For the love of GOD..... STOP swapping back and forth 2 seconds after you put on your new progressives...

I just wanna smack the old pair outta their hands lol

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Communicate with your doctor. When the final rx is put in front of you, and you tell your doc that your vision is clear, then that is what will be in your glasses. When you tell your doctor what you only think that is what he/she wants to hear, then THAT is what will be in your glasses. I am not in the exam room with you....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    For the love of GOD..... STOP swapping back and forth 2 seconds after you put on your new progressives...

I just wanna smack the old pair outta their hands lol
    Ha Ha! Especially when you stand on one foot, close one eye, and point to something out of the corner of your eye three feet away and claim it's blurry.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When you have 5 kids, and one of your kids and your husband (who fathered all of the kids) is a high hyperope with prism, GET ALL OF THE EYES IN THE FAMILY CHECKED. I don't care what your pastor says, get thee and thy children to the eye doctor. NOW. Or it's your fault your kids can't catch a ball, or write with legible penmanship, or see the board, or read well. YOUR. FAULT.

*whew* I feel better now. This really reaches me.

Thread Information