Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 11 Things Your Optician Wish You Knew!

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    ^People are gross. Is there an emoji for vomiting?
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    1) Most people who are wearing glasses have been wearing them since they were children, so you don't have to reference this fact every time you discuss your current glasses, especially when a screw falls out and you have never had a screw fall out in 20+ years. Screws falling out are fairly common, so make sure you stop in once in awhile and have us tighten them up.
    2) Progressive lenses are multifocal (multiple focusing points) lenses, so please don't correct me with the fact yours are bifocals or trifocals, as they are both of those and more.
    3) When you pick up your new glasses, try to have an open mind, verses immediately complaining. New glasses can take some getting used to, even if you've worn glasses for 20+ years and have never had a problem.
    4) Please don't call before your appointment and ask how much your glasses will cost so you know how much money to bring. Until I see your new prescription I prefer not to speculate on all of the customized features you may need or want and what price tag is attached to those decisions. I will give you an itemized prices quote after your exam and carefully explain each and every charge before you decide if you want to order glasses or not.
    5) Please don't ask me a cheaper place to buy glasses without giving me a chance to discuss my frame and lens prices. Not only will you not always get a better price at the cheaper places, but you might also get crappy service there and pay more. Also don't ask me to help you order glasses online. It's cheap to order online because you are forgoing all professional help with finding a style of frame you look good in and fits you well, you are giving up my careful final inspection to make sure your glasses are made correctly, my cheerful repairs and adjustments, and all the other services I provide when you buy glasses from me.
    6) It's not my fault that you came in two days before vacation/prom/your wedding/ect before you updated your exam and ordered glasses and or contacts, and now you are upset you won't get them before you leave. I understand people are busy and forget to get in to the eye doctor. Try to understand that we sell customized products that may not come in before you want them.
    What is reality but a concept unique to each of us? Can anything be classed as real when our perceptions differ greatly on so many things? Just because we see something a particular way does not make it so.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Uilleann, next you're going to tell me this is not ok?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    7. When you pick up your glasses, and my first question to you is, how to the *lenses* feel in your new SRx, and your immediate response (after very roughly grabbing/pulling/shaking/twisting/assaulting the new frames) is "They're loose and crooked!", you're not paying attention! They are often going to be in a slightly different adjustment after glazing. But that's not what you were asked was it? It maters literally not at all how they "feel" after your full blown onslaught of your new frames, if you cannot SEE. I'll easily fix the fit - but you need to grow up and tell me about your visual experience first. Oh and P.S. Please stop violating your frames. Thanks.

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    8) It's hard for me to figure out what you mean when you say you can't see anything with your new glasses, yet when I have to look in the distance, you say it's clear, and when I have you look up close you say the vision is also clear. In my understanding, when a person can't see anything, they are blind.
    What is reality but a concept unique to each of us? Can anything be classed as real when our perceptions differ greatly on so many things? Just because we see something a particular way does not make it so.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    9) If you say you love your eye doctor whom you've seen for 12 years, but you order your glasses from Costco and your contacts online, you don't actually love your eye doctor all that much. Expertise, quality materials, customer service, and continuity of care are worth a few extra dollars. Actually, they are often worth a few hundred extra dollars.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayde View Post
    Uilleann, next you're going to tell me this is not ok?
    Hehehe....NOPE! *gag*

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I don't know your past eyeglass history if you are a new customer

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    8. Dilation will NOT make you go temporarily blind. Nor will it impact your ability to see at distance, or operate a motor vehicle in any meaningful way if you are part of 99% of the population. You only need to remember to wear some sunglasses if it's bright outside, genius. So please, just STOP it with the whole: "I have to schedule at the very end of the day, or bring a driver/entourage so I'll be "safe" leaving the parking lot after my visit." crap. Get educated, and stop whining. :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    9. A NCT test (or 'air puff' to you greenhorns) during the pre-screen / initial diagnostic process doesn't hurt. At all. It *will* make you blink. But please lay off the quivering upper lips, and stop requesting we not do the job the doc needs us to do to properly check your comprehensive ocular health. Honestly. Grow a set. Suck it up. Stop wasting my time while you take several minutes of my time to "prepare" for the puff. You look indescribably silly, and there are any number of 6 year old girls far braver & tougher than you.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Good thread. All so true.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    About adjustments:

Human heads are not shaped like the counter top. I don't care if your glasses aren't perfectly level when you put them on the counter. How do they fit your face?

Handing me your glasses and asking me to adjust them is pointless. I need to see them on your head, and how/where they are causing you issues.

Grabbing your glasses and pushing them up and down and round and round while asking me if they look crooked is just plain maddening. Of course they look crooked, you're moving them all over the place!

YES, I NEED YOUR KID HERE TO FIT HIS/HER GLASSES! Can you fit him for new shoes without his feet present? Same principle.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    10. Your two eyes, and brain are all designed to work together. You need all THREE parts to see your best. So, please for the love of Jahoshafat!! STOP covering one eye when you pick up your new glasses! Like clockwork, you'll always look anywhere but the optical center of your new lens, and waste my time telling me how "blurry" your vision is, and how the doctor must be a "fraud", or "incompetent", or how your going to sue us for malpractice in literally physically "damaging" your eyes. Just give it a rest. Seriously. You are an idiot. No really. You are.

Now. Calm down. Breathe. put your damn hand down, and use BOTH eyes. Together. At the same time. There. See how much nicer that is? Oh...wait....what's that again? You can see clearly then? Good. Now there's the door. Buh bye.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by plculver View Post
    About adjustments:

Human heads are not shaped like the counter top. I don't care if your glasses aren't perfectly level when you put them on the counter. How do they fit your face?

Handing me your glasses and asking me to adjust them is pointless. I need to see them on your head, and how/where they are causing you issues.

Grabbing your glasses and pushing them up and down and round and round while asking me if they look crooked is just plain maddening. Of course they look crooked, you're moving them all over the place!

YES, I NEED YOUR KID HERE TO FIT HIS/HER GLASSES! Can you fit him for new shoes without his feet present? Same principle.
    Yes. Yes. One thousand times YES!!!!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    10. Your two eyes, and brain are all designed to work together. You need all THREE parts to see your best. So, please for the love of Jahoshafat!! STOP covering one eye when you pick up your new glasses! Like clockwork, you'll always look anywhere but the optical center of your new lens, and waste my time telling me how "blurry" your vision is, and how the doctor must be a "fraud", or "incompetent", or how your going to sue us for malpractice in literally physically "damaging" your eyes. Just give it a rest. Seriously. You are an idiot. No really. You are.

Now. Calm down. Breathe. put your damn hand down, and use BOTH eyes. Together. At the same time. There. See how much nicer that is? Oh...wait....what's that again? You can see clearly then? Good. Now there's the door. Buh bye.

This. Especially with Progressives.

About adjustments:

This as well, and happened to me yesterday with a Silhouette frame. STOP MOVING THE FRAME ON YOUR HEAD TO VISUALLY SHOW ME "HOW THEY WOBBLE" or "SEE HOW CROOKED THEY SIT". You may have inadvertently misaligned your frame again or further along than it was before. Especially if the optician had just finished adjusting the frame for you.
    Lastly, don't assume that the initial fit of the frame you tried on is wrong. Yes, there are frames too big or too small for your head, but if it doesn't "feel right/crooked", tell the optician where and how it feels that way on your head. Dismissing the frame on that initial try on fit might eliminate a good frame option for you. Similar to asking about different sizes and colors for frames, ask an optician to see if the frame could be adjusted to correct the comfort or placement. Sometimes frames come in misaligned from the manufacturer or get misaligned when people try on frames.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    "Please do not forget" list:

Do Not Forget to bring your glasses/contacts with you for your exam. This can help the Doctor or the optician when updating your RX for your new glasses/contacts.

Do Not Forget to come back to pick up your glasses in a timely manner. This may affect warranty or return policy depending on where you purchase.

Do Not Forget to pick up your glasses in general. Yes, I have had frames on hold for someone for almost two years before they finally came in to pick them up.

Do Not Forget to come back in if you have a problem with your glasses or contacts. Putting them in a drawer or putting it off for later does not help you and does not help us. We can't find a solution for you if you never come back to the office/store. There might be limited solutions/options if you come back months or over a year later from the day you picked up. Do not be surprised if the office/store says it will cost you something out of pocket if you come back months to over a year later to resolve the issue that you said you had "day one/the first week/the first month" after picking up your glasses. This will depend upon the individual office/store policy, what is wrong, and how the location determines to resolve the problem.

Do Not Forget to give your full name and reason you are calling. Saying this is "Bob" and I want to talk to the doctor, optician, or staff member and refusing to give any other info does not help.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    When I tell you that I will call you when your glasses are ready, it means that I will call you when your glasses are ready. It is not a request for you to call me twice a day to see if your glasses are ready yet. I promise, I won't keep it a secret when they come in.

When I do call you to tell you that your glasses are in, and I leave a message on your voice mail, and I always do, please listen to the message instead of calling me back saying you had a missed call. It will save us both a lot of time.

When you finally arrive to pick up your glasses, please hang up the phone. You can't answer my questions about how your glasses are working for you when you're arguing with your sister about who has to take grandma to the podiatrist, and I can't tell how your glasses are fitting when your head is cocked to one side so you can hold the phone with your shoulder.
    Last edited by plculver; 05-18-2017 at 09:20 AM.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Contrary to popular beliefs we do not design the cases that come with your frames. So please refrain from using a nasty tone to ask "Is that my case?"

If you are using a POF I am not required to give you a new case, if you ask nicely I just may give you a generic one.

So tired of looking like a bad guy because you expect a new case and cleaning cloth for your POF uncoated lenses

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    When I tell you that I will call you when your glasses are ready, it means that I will call you when your glasses are ready. It is not a request for you to call me twice a day to see if your glasses are ready yet. I promise, I won't keep it a secret when they come in.

When I do call you to tell me that your glasses are in, and I leave a message on your voice mail, and I always do, please listen to the message instead of calling me back saying you had a missed call. It will save us both a lot of time.

When you finally arrive to pick up your glasses, please hang up the phone. You can't answer my questions about how your glasses are working for you when you're arguing with your sister about who has to take grandma to the podiatrist, and I can't tell how your glasses are fitting when your head is cocked to one side so you can hold the phone with your shoulder.

All of this.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Please, for everyone's sake, pick a name and stick to it.
    If your name is Margaret but you go by Peggy- say so from the beginning. If you have recently married- remember that you have a maiden name. If you have a hyphenated name- remember this as well. If you gave your child a hyphenated name- I hate you.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    Please, for everyone's sake, pick a name and stick to it.
    If your name is Margaret but you go by Peggy- say so from the beginning. If you have recently married- remember that you have a maiden name. If you have a hyphenated name- remember this as well. If you gave your child a hyphenated name- I hate you.
    Oh, my god, yes. In a previous job, we had a patient who had been seen at two different locations under three different variants of her name at each, for a total of six different charts.

Or the people who let you sit there for ten minutes trying to look up their insurance information and then finally tell you that the insurance is under their spouse's name.

OptiBoard Professional Kujiradesu's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh, my god, yes. In a previous job, we had a patient who had been seen at two different locations under three different variants of her name at each, for a total of six different charts.

Or the people who let you sit there for ten minutes trying to look up their insurance information and then finally tell you that the insurance is under their spouse's name.
    So much this.

Also, if you have two last names tell me that up front. i.e. Williams-Smith
    Optical Cross: n. crucifixion apparatus used by the New Jersey State Board.

"It is not knowing, but the love of learning, that characterizes the scientific [person]." -Charles Sanders Peirce

"A concept is a brick. It can be used to build a courthouse of reason. Or it can be thrown through the window. -Gilles Deleuze

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    There is no giant database that holds everyone's prescription all over the world. If you weren't seen at my office, I do not have access to your prescription.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    For God's sake, use the name on your insurance at your doctors' offices. Period. I don't care if they've called you "Bud" since birth, if your given name is Virgil you are wasting everyone's time by not introducing yourself as Virgil every time you speak to us. If you want to go by a nickname, say "I go by Bud, but my given name is Virgil." Problem solved.

And for crying out loud don't be offended if we call you Virgil instead of Bud. The name Virgil is on all of your medical records, your insurance card, your credit card, and your driver's license.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Friends Don't Let Friends Use Visine

...and neither do Eye Doctors!

Don't take our word for it. Just ask your eye doctor at your next exam. He or she may have something better in mind that actually fixes any underlying problem.

In the meantime, you don't hydrate a thirst with alcohol or ocean water...and you don't take care of your eyes with Visine!

Thread Information