Thread: CVS adds optical

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

CVS adds optical

Smaller than other big boxes (Target, Sears, Wal-Mart) but still adding optical and hearing. Looks like from the frames already on their website no real designer products, it doesn't look like they're partnering with any of the big players on this.

http://www.drugstorenews.com/article...vYu4A.linkedin

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Optipop View Post
    Smaller than other big boxes (Target, Sears, Wal-Mart) but still adding optical and hearing. Looks like from the frames already on their website no real designer products, it doesn't look like they're partnering with any of the big players on this.

http://www.drugstorenews.com/article...vYu4A.linkedin
    well certainly nothing new, eckerd drug storwes had optical centers in them back in the 70,s, i had one in georgia, 38.00 special frame and lenses

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper

I love CVS, who wanted to charge me $ 360.00 for my Nitro spray for which I pay in Canada $ 8.70.

If they do the same in the optical they wont get rich with it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Have any ODs on here successfully implemented charging their patients for adjusting the frames and verifying lens accuracy of eyewear they purchased online?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by tx11 View Post

Have any ODs on here successfully implemented charging their patients for adjusting the frames and verifying lens accuracy of eyewear they purchased online?

My history on OptiBoard is there in black and white that I have predicted years ago what we are seeing these days.

In the meantime your largest suppliers in the trade have jumped on the online bandwagon.

To charge officially is the only way out, once done an optical retailer can beat the online stores. On line purchased glasses do need the service of a good professional, and should pay for these services.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    My history on OptiBoard is there in black and white that I have predicted years ago what we are seeing these days.

In the meantime your largest suppliers in the trade have jumped on the online bandwagon.

To charge officially is the only way out, once done an optical retailer can beat the online stores. On line purchased glasses do need the service of a good professional, and should pay for these services.
    That would be an ENORMOUS hike in clerical overhead thanks to the hike in transaction count, plus an invitation to a lot of drama from people who consider their 'service purchase' a license to take out all their eyewear dissatisfaction on you. They will live to ruin your day any time you tell them something they don't want to hear. (They'll gladly remind you they paid for the privilege.)

Maybe it is all inevitable, but for most of us it's a long, long way from being a wise time to jump to that lilipad.
    Last edited by Hayde; 04-26-2017 at 02:29 PM. Reason: cleaned up some prepositional phrases

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    v.s.pee pilot program with C.Vision.S has been in the planning stages for quite a while

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ak47 View Post
    v.s.pee pilot program with C.Vision.S has been in the planning stages for quite a while
    Yep pilot program has been in my state at a few locations for a year or two now. I'm not 100% sure this is a continuation of that though, or a CVS' own venture.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So this happened the other day and I decided to share it with you all...

I went to my nearby CVS Pharmacy, straight to the back, where the Pharmacists' high counter is located.

I took out my little brown bottle, along with a teaspoon, and set them upon the counter.

The Pharmacist came over, smiled, and asked if he could help me.

I said, "Yes! Could you please taste this for me?"

Seeing a senior citizen, the Pharmacist went along.

He took the spoon, put a tiny bit of the liquid on it, put it on his tongue and swilled it around.

Then, with a stomach-churning look on his face, he spat it out on the floor and began coughing.

When he finally was finished, I looked him right in the eye and asked, "Now, does that taste sweet to you?"

The Pharmacist, shaking his head back and forth with a venomous look in his eyes yelled, "HELL NO!!!"

I said, "Oh, thank God! That's a real relief! My doctor told me to have a Pharmacist test my urine for sugar!"

I can never go back to that CVS, but I really don't care, because they aren't very friendly there anymore!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile Zing!

Rodney couldn't have told it better

Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    So this happened the other day and I decided to share it with you all...

I went to my nearby CVS Pharmacy, straight to the back, where the Pharmacists' high counter is located.

I took out my little brown bottle, along with a teaspoon, and set them upon the counter.

The Pharmacist came over, smiled, and asked if he could help me.

I said, "Yes! Could you please taste this for me?"

Seeing a senior citizen, the Pharmacist went along.

He took the spoon, put a tiny bit of the liquid on it, put it on his tongue and swilled it around.

Then, with a stomach-churning look on his face, he spat it out on the floor and began coughing.

When he finally was finished, I looked him right in the eye and asked, "Now, does that taste sweet to you?"

The Pharmacist, shaking his head back and forth with a venomous look in his eyes yelled, "HELL NO!!!"

I said, "Oh, thank God! That's a real relief! My doctor told me to have a Pharmacist test my urine for sugar!"

I can never go back to that CVS, but I really don't care, because they aren't very friendly there anymore!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Lenny, You Rock!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    lenny, you rock!
    lol

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post

I don't know if you get the newletters from Laramy K, but I just finished the newest one and think they are touching on a much more long-term solution. Charging for services that are normally included will send certain patients running.

"Everything goes back to experience. It’s a battle for hearts and minds, not wallets. People need to walk out of your store not just satisfied, but blown away, with a story to tell. Your story."

I hope Keith doesn't mind me quoting him, but this is the most sensical approach I've heard. There is a lot more to this picture he paints, but this was the key line to me, explaining that you can't set yourself apart by 'the best deals' or frame selection alone. It's the time the patient spent with you that is lasting.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    I don't know if you get the newletters from Laramy K, but I just finished the newest one and think they are touching on a much more long-term solution. Charging for services that are normally included will send certain patients running.

"Everything goes back to experience. It’s a battle for hearts and minds, not wallets. People need to walk out of your store not just satisfied, but blown away, with a story to tell. Your story."

I hope Keith doesn't mind me quoting him, but this is the most sensical approach I've heard. There is a lot more to this picture he paints, but this was the key line to me, explaining that you can't set yourself apart by 'the best deals' or frame selection alone. It's the time the patient spent with you that is lasting.
    Those services are normally covered on product purchased at your dispensary....What about product purchased elsewhere? Are those services: the optician's time, the use of the optician's skill set,experience and knowledge and the use of dispensary instruments covered by the exam fee? It would seem that they are expected to be. Hence the question of any success of making it not so..
    Last edited by tx11; 04-27-2017 at 01:56 PM.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I don't work at a Dr office, but they would normally be included in the purchase of frame / lenses / complete pair. My problem lays in selling my services separately. When I do a price breakdown with someone who is trying to save pennies, you bet they are going to say something along the lines of "Can you take off x amount? I'd rather adjust my own frames / not get free nosepad replacements / etc." I feel like if I was presented an amount for such services I would feel like any company was trying to get as many nickels and dimes as they could. It feels petty, but maybe I'm just approaching it wrong...

I don't charge for adjustments on online frames. I give a simple warning that we can't be held liable for damages but cleaning, replacing screws, and adjustments are free. People appreciate that and sometimes are beyond grateful. I've had people offer to buy me coffee or even lunch because I put a new temple on some outside frame when their spring hinge broke and wouldn't charge them.

I'm going to deliver the service that would draw myself in as a potential consumer.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think that a product would be priced to include the servicing of the product and the expertise of the person fitting and dispensing it and not just the cost of materials and B&M. I understand that you provide free service at the patient's own risk on products not purchased from you as a marketing tool hoping that that persons next purchase may indeed come from you.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just remember, even Walmart charges for nose pads - even if you bought the frame there in the first place.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by ak47 View Post
    They already have been quite successful with Costco and Wal-Mart already.....

Thread Information