Reviewer: Sean

Ratings:
    Quality:
    Ease of use:
    Customer service of the manufacturer or distributor:
    Value:
    Overall:

Review:
    First off I should point out that the price is for both the edger and tracer\auto blocker. I gave this piece of equipment very high marks for it’s initial learning curve and so far…. reliability. Sales rep was in charge of delivery and setup. Company has a recommended calibration interval of once a month; this has been done, even though there has been no apparent need to. Edger can be ordered with different wheel options, glass/plastic-poly/polish. Has auto groove for rimless, as well as safety bevels front/back (all of these options can be user defined i.e. depth of groove and degree of bevel with 4 different user assigned presets each for preference. On board software has been updated since gamma series resolving issues with e-line’s. Also equipped with bar code scanners for both the blocker and edger with an initial memory of 200 orders, which can be upgraded to 400. To this day I’m impressed with the accuracy of this machine. As for company’s assumption that “Just about anyone can run this equipment” is a little off the mark. You need to have the concept of what you are doing and what you are trying to achieve. In short, to think just pushing a series of buttons will result in a perfect pair of glasses should not be the foundation to have a person start working with this piece of machinery.In fact the only thing you will achieve is damaging the machine, as the equipment does have flaws when it comes to inexperience (this can result on any piece of optical equipment mind you). Users should have a good degree of knowledge in the lab. Not unless you would like someone to start edging crown glass on the poly wheel. Yes the machine is hi tech…….but we do have a human equation to work with here. In the hands of someone with experience it is capable of producing an excellent product. I have personally cut lenses from +13.00D to –15.00D along with Bi-Concaves, Aspheric Lenticular’s, Myodisks ……….just to name a few. To consider buying this equipment, I would have to say your work volume should be at least 15 to20 orders per day to be beneficial /cost effective, as the Kappa was made and designed for high output labs. On a final note the Kappa comes fully designed to interface with their line of surfacing equipment as well.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Years ago.....

Sean,

Years ago I worked for a company that distributed Briot edgers. Their patternless originally priced at about 21 K. We figured that if you did 5 jobs a day it would pay for itself. That was when finishing was about $5 per job. The average finish job now is about $8.If you extrapolate 15 jobs X $8 X25 days in a month you come up with 3K. You'd have the machine paid for in 10 months!

Why do you think you would need 15 to 20 jobs a day to make it feasable.

Great Review!

hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Harry,
    15/20 jobs a day on average..........what about those days when you do nothing but repairs? I.E. last week with the snow storm.......4 day's straight not a customer/lab job to be had. These are the things that have to be considered when you go out and spend 30,000.00 dollars on just one piece equipment. I think that if everyone here could be be guaranteed 15-25 jobs per day Coburn would sell even more of them. Purchasing one with the figures you mentioned in your above post would seem feasible but more than likely this would not be the case. And i would not recommend purely relying on such a figure to justify going out and buying one.

Bad address email on file Mikol's Avatar

Can't Wait..............

Sean

My machine is on order to be delivered in 2 weeks I will be raplacing a Optronics Horizon III..:D We have the Kappa in one of our other stores and I have run a few jobs on it with no formal training;) ..........I have pushed the HIII to its limits and I can not wait to get my hands on the Kappa and see what she can really do..........

I enjoyed your review and already know that you are so correct on all your points......

Sincerely
    Mikol
    :cheers: :cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mikol,
    Be sure to come back here and let me know what you think,after you have had a bit to really put it to the test:D The kappa actually retired three edgers in the lab.....a Briot,Daytona and a Profile M. Did you order it with or without the glass wheel?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I had dealt with Coburn many years ago before they were bought by Gerber.
    I loved the products, reps and tech assistance was great.
    I purchased a pricey edger from them with extended coverage. The edger was a lemon.
    I needed to puchase extended coverage every year for three years, just to keep the machine running, until Gerber Coburn refused to honor another warranty period. In the fourth year we had to scrap the edger.
    With the service charge on phone calls and the worst machine I had in 22 years , I am still open to hearing about quality equipment.
    I hope you feel the same after the warranty period is over.
    Joseph Felker
    AllentownOptical.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Did I understand you correctly?

jofelk,
    Did I understand you correctly? You bought a machine from Coburn (before the merger) and you renewed a warantee on that machine for 3 years (which made it a total of 4), and you expected the new company to renew that warantee for a fifth year on a machine they did not manufacture?

I just want to be clear on what your complaint is.

tx harry j
    Lord Byron

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Sorry about my time line. I usually review this site first thing in the morning and the thoughts are sometimes scattered.
    I had bought equipment (edgers, generators, reclaims, etc.) from Coburn years ago (15-20) and was very happy wirh them.
    After they were bought by Gerber I purchased the pricey edger. It was a warranty we purchased each year for a total of three years.
    I do not want this forum to be my retribution against Gerber Coburn. This was my experience with their equipment and service. Like I said in my previous thread, I am always glad to hear about quality equipment that makes our job simpler and more pofitable.
    Good luck with the edger!
    Joseph Felker
    AllentownOptical.com

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    Mikol, I started out in '93 with the Briot patternless, then in '96 went to the Horizon III, and in 2001 went to the Horizon 6E, big improvements; still liked the "dry cut" units better. but like most things these days, with drill mounts, etc, you best have some finish lab skills beyond pushing a button on the edger. Sean, there is more than the cost saving factor to in-house edging; it's a matter of value added service too. I've never had a problem with the paying for it; seems like we've always had a flucuating business loan, and when we pruchased a new edger, or other equipment, we just added it to our existing note, and kept the payment the same, just added time, which is eternal, and there are some buyiny benefits to paying the seller cash on delivery.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Texas Ranger said: Sean, there is more than the cost saving factor to in-house edging; it's a matter of value added service too. I've never had a problem with the paying for it; seems like we've always had a flucuating business loan, and when we pruchased a new edger, or other equipment, we just added it to our existing note, and kept the payment the same, just added time, which is eternal, and there are some buyiny benefits to paying the seller cash on delivery.
    Taxas Ranger,
    Point well taken,good info.

Thumbs up Kappa

Sean,

I got the machine installed yesterday and ran 17 jobs the first day. What a joy! I was not to impressed with the speed but I will take the quality of the finished job in exchange. I only did rimless and bevel jobs I will be in the office tomorrow and see how well the groover works. We carry the Lindberg collections and I can't wait to make lenses for the RIM & STRIP collections.

The barcode system is really great I can just tell you now that that feature will save us a lot of headaches.....we do one hour jobs and sometimes the HIII would be all loaded and ready to cut and a customer walks in and mixes up the order of the trays:angry:

A great new toy , but I will keep my HIII set up and at the ready.

cheers
    Mikol

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Gospel according to Sean is

Mikol,
    Gospel according to Sean is: you won't need it!
    Lord Byron

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is this their top of the line edger or they offer something even better?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    LENNY said:
    Is this their top of the line edger or they offer something even better?
    Lenny,
    Gerber/Coburn just introduced a new version called the Kappa SP.

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Lightbulb Kappa

There's the Titan, but that's intended for high-production environments (i.e., constant-duty, and/or automated).

http://www.gerbercoburn.com/06-Finishing/index.html

Which edger to use

Hello Sean

You gave a very optimistic review of the edger. in which case i would buy with closed eyes relying on the review you offered.

Right Now there is a better lens material "TRIVEX"
    Did you try cutting this material on your machine.?

Rarely it is so, that edgers has limits like BRIOT, this edger shakes when it cuts the trivex so now we send it to lab to do the trivex.

running trivex

:)
    I run trivex on the edger without any problems.........

Make sure that you process the trivex just as you would a polycarb and all will be fine...

Still in love with my new Kappa:D

Mikol

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Smilie Trivex............No Problem.

Unlike most edgers......the Kappa allows you to set the pressure on the lens chuck,and by doing so it will adjust the drop speed of the lens touching the edger wheels. In fact it is capable of automatically detecting a 1.0 CT and make the adjustment on it's own if need be. I have not encountered a problem with Trivex at all.:)

Hello and thanks for replying
    Now i know what to get thanks to this web site and to all who know about it.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Several months later, I have finally checked out this thread, since I am in the market for a new edger. The Kappa and the Briot Access CL have been suggested to me. I am somewhat of a perfectionist; I prefer an edger that can consistently cut jobs on axis (not just "close enough"). We do a lot of drill mounts, so axis is really critical. Anyone have any comments? Thanks!

OptiBoard Novice

Try the Briot

Ruth, If your doing alot of dril mounts-take a look at the Briot Axcell CLD. Interested in a live demonstration or chat on the phone about capabilities?

. The Kappa and the Briot Access CL have been suggested to me. I am somewhat of a perfectionist; I prefer an edger that can consistently cut jobs on axis (not just "close enough"). We do a lot of drill mounts, so axis is really critical. Anyone have any comments? Thanks![/QUOTE]

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hands down the Kappa CTD is a superior drilling edger over the Briot Accell. Kappa can drill perpendicular to the lense surface, has the best pin bevel available, the smallest edging capability on the market, etc., etc....

Call your local rep at 800-843-0379 at GerberCoburn. Visit www.Gerbercoburn.com

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbs
    Hands down the Kappa CTD is a superior drilling edger over the Briot Accell. Kappa can drill perpendicular to the lense surface, has the best pin bevel available, the smallest edging capability on the market, etc., etc....

Call your local rep at 800-843-0379 at GerberCoburn. Visit www.Gerbercoburn.com
    Do you work for Gerber?

Occupation
    I'm betting he does...

Occupation

Big Smile

Ruth said:
    Several months later, I have finally checked out this thread, since I am in the market for a new edger. The Kappa and the Briot Access CL have been suggested to me. I am somewhat of a perfectionist; I prefer an edger that can consistently cut jobs on axis (not just "close enough"). We do a lot of drill mounts, so axis is really critical. Anyone have any comments? Thanks!
    The blocker may be the more critical factor. Consider the Step Two.

(Shameless plug).

Thread Information