No announcement yet.

Review: Kappa Edger from Gerber Coburn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm still not back in the office, but they tell me this: To work around this problem, select a custom groove and modify the grooving depth. Press start and the edger will process the lens.

Apparently, the issue is that the edger in this case doesn't know the groove dimensions. We can set Innovations to provide groove dimensions in those cases in which they're not otherwise specified. Can you send me your e-mail address please?

Comment

Thank You !
      I will give this a go this A.M. as i have some nylor jobs that are in line to be edged. I will let you know how i make out. Thanks once again for your help and quick repley on this.:)

Comment

It went well untill.............................

The edger went through all the steps ,cut , flat bevel .......then put a groove about 2/10"s of a mil.Then proceded to polish ........everything went fine up to that point. After the polish cycle the wheel came up to lens to groove and stalled, and gave me an error code of A8~7 :(

Comment

Originally posted by Sean
          The edger went through all the steps ,cut , flat bevel .......then put a groove about 2/10"s of a mil.Then proceded to polish ........everything went fine up to that point. After the polish cycle the wheel came up to lens to groove and stalled, and gave me an error code of A8~7 :(
          What values did you enter for groove width & depth?

Comment

I tried changing the values for each on separate occasions. I moved the specified values by .05 to see if i could get a different outcome. I even tried eliminating the polish cycle to no avail.........it still want's to come up for a second time and stalls.

Comment

I tried changing the values for each on separate occasions. I moved the specified values by .05 to see if i could get a different outcome. I even tried eliminating the polish cycle to no avail.........it still want's to come up for a second time and stalls.
              I'm thinking that you may be using values that are out of range for the machine. I'm pretty sure that 0.05mm is outside its resolution. That's why I'd like to know what values you're using.

Comment

Hope this is what you need.......................

Groove depth .60
                Groove Width .80
                Groove% 40

Comment

I should have done this in a more timely manner.....

Originally posted by shanbaum
                  I'm thinking that you may be using values that are out of range for the machine. I'm pretty sure that 0.05mm is outside its resolution. That's why I'd like to know what values you're using.
                  I just wanted to say thank you for all your help with this matter.The values that you sent to me do indeed fix this. Again thanks for all of your time and effort.

Comment

I just wanted to say thank you for all your help with this matter.The values that you sent to me do indeed fix this. Again thanks for all of your time and effort.
                    It's all part of the service, and thank you for shopping with Gerber Coburn.

Comment

You Just have to Love a Kappa
                      Last edited by Tigger61; 12-03-2005, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Kappa Edger

I worked with one in a small private practice in NYC. THe owner and I had gotten thoroughly frustrated with the Novamatic patternless we were working /fighting with. I suggested selling the novamatic to a boater who might need a mooring anchor. Inside of a few hours the machine was cutting beautiful jobs. Inside of a few days working with it you could almost make it sing. Regular bevels were beautiful, normal nylon mount rimless were great. Took a while to perfect settings for strip titanium and Ait Titanium Rim frames...either a wider groove or a deeper and wider groove needed once we wrote a cheat sheet, all was fantastic
                        If at all possible set up this or for that matter ANY machine for fresh water plumbing rather than a recirculating bucket. I used a fabric bag inside of a holding tank and a pump with float switch to pump the water overboard

Ed
                        Last edited by Ed_Optician; 12-07-2005, 03:59 PM. Reason: additional notes
                        Ed

MSEd, BBA, AAS Ophthalmic Dispensing
                        ABOC NCLC FNAO FOAA

Comment

Originally posted by Ed_Optician
                          I worked with one in a small private practice in NYC. THe owner and I had gotten thoroughly frustrated with the Novamatic patternless we were working /fighting with. I suggested selling the novamatic to a boater who might need a mooring anchor. Inside of a few hours the machine was cutting beautiful jobs. Inside of a few days working with it you could almost make it sing. Regular bevels were beautiful, normal nylon mount rimless were great. Took a while to perfect settings for strip titanium and Ait Titanium Rim frames...either a wider groove or a deeper and wider groove needed once we wrote a cheat sheet, all was fantastic
                          If at all possible set up this or for that matter ANY machine for fresh water plumbing rather than a recirculating bucket. I used a fabric bag inside of a holding tank and a pump with float switch to pump the water overboard

Ed
                          :) Bump

Comment

Welcome back Sean! How's things down South?

Comment

Kappa edger/gerber products

Ive used a kappa for 3 years now. I've had to fix it 6 times now. Not a big deal, it produced great results. The motor that lifts the groove unit went out. Gerber wanted 600 bucks i think. It turns out it was just the optical encoder that mounts to the back of the motor. no big deal, it costed 60 bucks. Gerber tech support stinks...its better to figure it out yourself.

Does anyone have a recomendation on what retail software best integrates with innovations? Let me know

Thanks,
                              jcd

Comment

Innovations integration

I believe CC Systems now has a retail program and I know that they had used the innovations platform for their surfacing program.

Comment

Working...
                                X