Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Review: Kappa Edger from Gerber Coburn

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I own a Kappa CTD and find it works almost flawlessly. It was set up and calibrated by Essilor Canada. I have had a few issues in the past 36 months but otherwise worship the ground it sits on!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

different country, different service.

I am glad to hear that your machine works well and was properly installed, ours wasn't. This is probably due to the fact that we have a Gamma already and did have some understanding about the machines basic functions but the Kappa was not installed by a Gerber Coburn tech or any training offered until we had problems. Not the best service but I guess things are done differently in the States. Anyhow we seem to have our slippage problem narrowed down to the block and pad combination. Could someone let me know what the best combination of block and pads is best used with these very slippery multicoats that are out there in use these days. We are currently using the standard blocks supplied with the machine, ordinary leap pads and the multicoat [supposed] non slip pads supplied with the lenses. And yes the pressures have all been turned up to maximum and we are still getting slippage, so we are still frustrated. In fairness I must say that all the other problems with the Kappa, of which there have been many, seem to resolved. Please dont tell me to get a Nidek as I already know that they dont slip from having had one for a short time but that my friends is another story which will not be delved into at this time.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I edge lots of the nikon ice coatings(very slippery) with the recommended pads and use the **extra care cycle and never have slippage. I used to cut poly and had quite a bit of slippage issues....problem solved, avoid poly.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by OZ FITTER View Post
    I am glad to hear that your machine works well and was properly installed, ours wasn't. This is probably due to the fact that we have a Gamma already and did have some understanding about the machines basic functions but the Kappa was not installed by a Gerber Coburn tech or any training offered until we had problems. Not the best service but I guess things are done differently in the States. Anyhow we seem to have our slippage problem narrowed down to the block and pad combination. Could someone let me know what the best combination of block and pads is best used with these very slippery multicoats that are out there in use these days. We are currently using the standard blocks supplied with the machine, ordinary leap pads and the multicoat [supposed] non slip pads supplied with the lenses. And yes the pressures have all been turned up to maximum and we are still getting slippage, so we are still frustrated. In fairness I must say that all the other problems with the Kappa, of which there have been many, seem to resolved. Please dont tell me to get a Nidek as I already know that they dont slip from having had one for a short time but that my friends is another story which will not be delved into at this time.
    I use the Secure Edge pads from Optical Laboratory Supply (800-544-9588 in the states) that are specific for super hydrophobic coated lenses and have never had a slippage in on my Kappa. The part numbers are
    OS1698SEPLUS 24mm round and OS1798SEPLUS 18mm round. I believe they are also available from 3-M if you can't get these.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

thank you for the information

G'day Thumbs, Thank you for the information re the pads as well as the pressure adjustment info. I have been able to trace a supplier of the 3M version available through only one supplier in Australia, guess who. The very same people who sold us the machine in the first place, they are also the same people who are supposed to sell the BPI G/K Flexi- blocks. You would think they would say to us "Guys theres a new pad and block out there to help stop slippage, why not try these out". I asked about the blocks over a week ago and as yet no reply, they actually said that they had not heard of the Flexi-block for the Kappa.
    Still frustrated, not overly happy with the lack of back up service. Wonder what will be next, Oz.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by OZ FITTER View Post
    G'day Thumbs, Thank you for the information re the pads as well as the pressure adjustment info. I have been able to trace a supplier of the 3M version available through only one supplier in Australia, guess who. The very same people who sold us the machine in the first place, they are also the same people who are supposed to sell the BPI G/K Flexi- blocks. You would think they would say to us "Guys theres a new pad and block out there to help stop slippage, why not try these out". I asked about the blocks over a week ago and as yet no reply, they actually said that they had not heard of the Flexi-block for the Kappa.
    Still frustrated, not overly happy with the lack of back up service. Wonder what will be next, Oz.
    I wouldn't worry about the flexi-blocks. I have been using the plastic rigid blocks that came with the edger since 2001 and have had no problem with slipping with the proper blocking tape.
    Not to make excuses for the company you are doing business with, but I sold and serviced edgers for over 20 years and many times overlooked some of the simple solution to problems, like blocking tape. Unfortunately, in our business, I find the communication between frame, lens and equipment companies is non-existant. Frame companies decide to produce a frame with a "b" measurement smaller than any edgers capability and then the edger companies have to modify equipment to statisy the need. Lens companies produce surfaces that are a great advantage to patients and the bottom line and the edger companies have to again modify equipment to statisy the need.
    You would think that even a company like Essilor would communicate their current and future developments with each of their divisions, i.e. lens and equipment divisions.

Merry Christmas and a Prosperous New Year!!

Thread Information