Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Review: Kappa Edger from Gerber Coburn

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sean, have you thought of sending this info to cousin Robert who might be able to shed some light on it?

hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson
    Sean, have you thought of sending this info to cousin Robert who might be able to shed some light on it?

hj
    I did.............. it's about two post's above ;)

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    I have recently stumbled on some kind of program glitch with Innovations. It seems that if a SV stock lens order for a nylor frame is put through the kappa without first going through Innovations (as though being a order that needs to be surfaced) the kappa just plain refuses to groove. Is this a known problem or do you know of any fix ?

If an order isn't processed by Innovations - that is, all it has is a tracing - the ETYP record (that's the OMA record in which one would specify "groove") will contain a question mark, which is the "unknown data indicator" according to the OMA standard. That certainly shouldn't prevent the edger from being set to groove manually. Can the edger be set to do a flat bevel in that case? I'm sorry I can't just go test this myself, but I'm not in the office, and won't be for a few days. I'll ask someone to investigate.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes.........the edger can be set to do a flat bevel and completes the task. It seem's the only thing i cannot do is groove.When i manually set the edger to groove it goes through the entire edging process then when it comes time to groove the pin bevel wheel comes out then stops as it's about to come in contact whith the lens. Any input you have would be great !

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ahh, that you did, I just missed it! sorry, I'll pay better attention after I've met Ava!
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    I'm still not back in the office, but they tell me this: To work around this problem, select a custom groove and modify the grooving depth. Press start and the edger will process the lens.

Apparently, the issue is that the edger in this case doesn't know the groove dimensions. We can set Innovations to provide groove dimensions in those cases in which they're not otherwise specified. Can you send me your e-mail address please?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper

Thank You !
    I will give this a go this A.M. as i have some nylor jobs that are in line to be edged. I will let you know how i make out. Thanks once again for your help and quick repley on this.:)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Crier It went well untill.............................

The edger went through all the steps ,cut , flat bevel .......then put a groove about 2/10"s of a mil.Then proceded to polish ........everything went fine up to that point. After the polish cycle the wheel came up to lens to groove and stalled, and gave me an error code of A8~7 :(

Occupation
    The edger went through all the steps ,cut , flat bevel .......then put a groove about 2/10"s of a mil.Then proceded to polish ........everything went fine up to that point. After the polish cycle the wheel came up to lens to groove and stalled, and gave me an error code of A8~7 :(
    What values did you enter for groove width & depth?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I tried changing the values for each on separate occasions. I moved the specified values by .05 to see if i could get a different outcome. I even tried eliminating the polish cycle to no avail.........it still want's to come up for a second time and stalls.

Occupation
    I tried changing the values for each on separate occasions. I moved the specified values by .05 to see if i could get a different outcome. I even tried eliminating the polish cycle to no avail.........it still want's to come up for a second time and stalls.
    I'm thinking that you may be using values that are out of range for the machine. I'm pretty sure that 0.05mm is outside its resolution. That's why I'd like to know what values you're using.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hope this is what you need.......................

Groove depth .60
    Groove Width .80
    Groove% 40

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up I should have done this in a more timely manner.....

Quote Originally Posted by shanbaum
    I'm thinking that you may be using values that are out of range for the machine. I'm pretty sure that 0.05mm is outside its resolution. That's why I'd like to know what values you're using.
    I just wanted to say thank you for all your help with this matter.The values that you sent to me do indeed fix this. Again thanks for all of your time and effort.

Occupation

Big Smile

I just wanted to say thank you for all your help with this matter.The values that you sent to me do indeed fix this. Again thanks for all of your time and effort.
    It's all part of the service, and thank you for shopping with Gerber Coburn.

Bad address email on file Tigger61's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You Just have to Love a Kappa
    Last edited by Tigger61; 12-03-2005 at 11:16 PM.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Kappa Edger

I worked with one in a small private practice in NYC. THe owner and I had gotten thoroughly frustrated with the Novamatic patternless we were working /fighting with. I suggested selling the novamatic to a boater who might need a mooring anchor. Inside of a few hours the machine was cutting beautiful jobs. Inside of a few days working with it you could almost make it sing. Regular bevels were beautiful, normal nylon mount rimless were great. Took a while to perfect settings for strip titanium and Ait Titanium Rim frames...either a wider groove or a deeper and wider groove needed once we wrote a cheat sheet, all was fantastic
    If at all possible set up this or for that matter ANY machine for fresh water plumbing rather than a recirculating bucket. I used a fabric bag inside of a holding tank and a pump with float switch to pump the water overboard

Ed
    Last edited by Ed_Optician; 12-07-2005 at 05:59 PM. Reason: additional notes

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Optician
    I worked with one in a small private practice in NYC. THe owner and I had gotten thoroughly frustrated with the Novamatic patternless we were working /fighting with. I suggested selling the novamatic to a boater who might need a mooring anchor. Inside of a few hours the machine was cutting beautiful jobs. Inside of a few days working with it you could almost make it sing. Regular bevels were beautiful, normal nylon mount rimless were great. Took a while to perfect settings for strip titanium and Ait Titanium Rim frames...either a wider groove or a deeper and wider groove needed once we wrote a cheat sheet, all was fantastic
    If at all possible set up this or for that matter ANY machine for fresh water plumbing rather than a recirculating bucket. I used a fabric bag inside of a holding tank and a pump with float switch to pump the water overboard

Ed
    :) Bump

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome back Sean! How's things down South?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Kappa edger/gerber products

Ive used a kappa for 3 years now. I've had to fix it 6 times now. Not a big deal, it produced great results. The motor that lifts the groove unit went out. Gerber wanted 600 bucks i think. It turns out it was just the optical encoder that mounts to the back of the motor. no big deal, it costed 60 bucks. Gerber tech support stinks...its better to figure it out yourself.

Does anyone have a recomendation on what retail software best integrates with innovations? Let me know

Thanks,
    jcd

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Innovations integration

I believe CC Systems now has a retail program and I know that they had used the innovations platform for their surfacing program.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    [QUOTE=jessecd]Ive used a kappa for 3 years now. I've had to fix it 6 times now. Not a big deal, it produced great results. The motor that lifts the groove unit went out. Gerber wanted 600 bucks i think. It turns out it was just the optical encoder that mounts to the back of the motor. no big deal, it costed 60 bucks. Gerber tech support stinks...its better to figure it out yourself.

I am going to get the new Kapa edger with drill unit even thou I don't know how to fix any Gerber equipement!

OptiBoard Novice

Try the Briot

Ruth, If your doing alot of dril mounts-take a look at the Briot Axcell CLD. Interested in a live demonstration or chat on the phone about capabilities?

. The Kappa and the Briot Access CL have been suggested to me. I am somewhat of a perfectionist; I prefer an edger that can consistently cut jobs on axis (not just "close enough"). We do a lot of drill mounts, so axis is really critical. Anyone have any comments? Thanks![/QUOTE]

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hands down the Kappa CTD is a superior drilling edger over the Briot Accell. Kappa can drill perpendicular to the lense surface, has the best pin bevel available, the smallest edging capability on the market, etc., etc....

Call your local rep at 800-843-0379 at GerberCoburn. Visit www.Gerbercoburn.com

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbs
    Hands down the Kappa CTD is a superior drilling edger over the Briot Accell. Kappa can drill perpendicular to the lense surface, has the best pin bevel available, the smallest edging capability on the market, etc., etc....

Call your local rep at 800-843-0379 at GerberCoburn. Visit www.Gerbercoburn.com
    Do you work for Gerber?

Occupation
    I'm betting he does...

Thread Information