Thread: Consumer Report on Eyeglasses .............................

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Consumer Report on Eyeglasses .............................

How to Get the Best Eyeglass Lenses

Polycarbonate or high index? Bifocals or progressives? How to pick what's right for you and save money.

By Consumer Reports
    Last updated: December 29, 2016

Picking frames that look right is tough enough. After that all-important decision, you still have to choose eyeglass lenses and coatings.Those decisions are key to how well you’ll see and how much you’ll spend.Americans shell out an average of $275 after insurance for new glasses, and most of that money is for lenses—not frames.
    You Can’t always rely on salespeople, who may work on commission, to guide you. But Consumer Reports' expert steps will help.

Looking at Lenses

The two best-selling eyeglass lenses are the most basic ones: CR-39 and the polycarbonate, both plastic. (Few people now use glass, which is heavy and breakable.) If you have a single-vision prescription (glasses to see far away or close up), you can generally get by with CR-39 lenses. They can be inexpensive—we found them for $29 to $149—but they can look thick with stronger prescriptions.

See all of it: =========>
    http://www.consumerreports.org/eyegl...yeglass-lenses

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    My favorite part is reading the comments......

Occupation
    Optometrist
    This always reminds me not to trust Consumer Reports.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Americans shell out an average of $275 after insurance for new glasses, and most of that money is for lenses—not frames.
    That's bullcrap on both counts.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    You might want to opt for them if you have more complex visual problems, such as cataracts or corneal scars.
    Uh...no.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    retailers such as Warby Parker will replace lenses that get scratched in the first year after purchase free of charge.
    It seems like old Warby must be giving sexual favors to journalists free of charge.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Most lenses already come with this coating; make sure yours do.
    Inaccurate.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    • Find out about cheaper alternatives. Some lenses and coatings are available in less expensive generic forms.
    Not that I'm aware of.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    • Check online prices. Kodey says that many optical shops are inclined to match those prices. If not, check the big-box stores. At Costco, a pair of HD progressive lenses with anti-reflective coating and UV protection costs $130; at Walmart, the price is $255.
    And what CR article would be complete without pimping old Robin Hood over at Costco?

Because, like, all lenses are the same, right? Or, didn't they read their own article?

Doesn't matter.

Can we go back to the "Luxottica is a monopoly" 60 Minutes astute reporting, now?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    This guy is going to show up in my office, I just know it.

Fine article, but BUYER BEWARE! As many have already found out, the Optical Industry has slowly turned into an overpriced, business-focused, insurance-controlled mess- no longer focused on what is best for the consumer. Thankfully the internet is allowing customers to bypass "the mess" and has made it possible for a patient to buy what is right for them NOT what is the best for the doctor and his business practice. And oh, the prices – OMG! Insurance and medicaid, etc have completely screwed up pricing so that buying JUST the lenses with all the add ons, with no insurance (who has good eye in
    surance anymore??) can easily run $1000 or more. Most online companies do not bother with all the insurance crap so buying eyeglass lenses online today for me, was the ONLY way i could afford to buy lenses which had all of the elements this article so accurately suggested as being the best for todays' busy, device-using, working professional (high index progressive, photo chromatic, anti-reflective, HD lenses) otherwise i'd be back to my circa 1982 Coke Bottles with just ok vision- nice huh? These companies are run by professionals who grind and craft eyeglass lenses and have certified opticians in house who are available to speak to you with any questions. (Of course pick your online company wisely, there are several reputable, top rated companies to choose from in the U.S.) You WILL save at least HALF of what you would pay in an office or store. Assuming you've already picked out the frames (that's a whole nother article), the only thing you do have to do yourself (and this must be right) is to measure and mark on the demo lens or paper, your P.D. measurement (the distance between the pupils).

Doctors and Vision Centers are in an uproar over all of it. In fact, I'm kinda suprised Consumer Reports even suggested buying eyeglass lenses over the internet, but yes it is THE best way to save money. You can even find master lists which the optometrists uses to decide which lens comes with what options and it includes ALL brands currently available in the world, so that you can pick the lens that is right for YOU. For example, Transitions is the brand name of A line of photo chromatic lenses, but you'll never hear about any of the other brand names because Transitions has managed, in the U.S., to make it a sweet deal if doctors agree to sell a certain number of their lenses. In fact, they used to require doctors to agree to sell ONLY their lenses if they were to sell Transitions at all. This has been going on for so long that most Americans equate all photo chromatic lenses as being "Transitions" and so then doctors had no choice. If they wanted to sell Transitions, which many customers now will ask for, they couldn't sell any other kind. That has recently changed a bit because Transitions did get sued over anti-trust laws and lost of course. Still the damage has been done and the perks are still there so doctors have little reason to change, study other kinds of lenses and prescribe them to patients. So not only are there other brands, but over time these other brands have gotten better and of higher quality than Transitions! So, (and yes i have spoken to several opticians both online and elsewhere) I went with the Zeiss Photo Fusion lens (made in Germany and actually considered the highest quality photo chromatic lens currently available in the industry!!). It switches better, faster going from outside to inside and works better when coupled with high index/progressive! Gee, thanks Doc for telling me!? I would have never even heard of these fantastic lenses if it weren't for the internet. But take advantage of it while you can. The industry is in such major flux that I suspect the day will come when such savings and consumer availability and CHOICE will be no longer.

Personally, I went with http://www.eyeglasslensdirect.com/ and chose Zeiss, Photofusion, progressive, high index. total cost: less then $600. Priced at lenscrafters: $1100. Asked my eye doctor to give me the TWO measurements of PD (distance from middle to right and middle to left) and to do it very carefully as i was ordering lenses online (he doesn't sell glasses, he's just an eye doctor). He said that he gave up the optical side a few years ago and has been buying his OWN glasses online for ever since. My state is one of 25 other states that do not require liscensed Opticians to sell you lenses. So they are paying clerks min wage AND charging those prices. What a crock!!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I like how he's "princess and the pea" about his optical needs, but is completely cool with using his own paper-based special pd system.

I want in on that "Transitions" payola he has outed. I need some more money for yacht fuel.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    "Gee, thanks Doc for telling me!" VS. "Asked my eye doctor ...he doesn't sell glasses, he's just an eye doctor). He said that he gave up the optical side a few years ago..."

"The Optical Industry has slowly turned into an overpriced, business-focused, insurance-controlled mess- no longer focused on what is best for the consumer" VS "My state is one of 25 other states that do not require liscensed Opticians to sell you lenses"

Sensing a pattern, there, Mr. Know-it-all?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    drk... your posts cracked me up. All stuff I was thinking.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post

Personally, I went with http://www.eyeglasslensdirect.com/ and chose Zeiss, Photofusion, progressive, high index. total cost: less then $600. Priced at lenscrafters: $1100.
    LC probably quoted him with an anti-reflective. He should really compare apples to apples.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dr. K

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Oh my, drk. Tell us how you really feel! Left out one part. Zeiss Photofusion. Made in Germany. Ha! Try Mexico.

I visited eyeglasslensdirect.com. The only Photofusion I saw there was the Individual 2 for $759 w/AR. And good luck with all of the POW measurements. They did have a clear 1.74 Precision Plus w AR for $610, but w/o PF, and a 1.67 GT2 w/AR (Purecoat) for $547, but again w/o PF, so I'm not sure where the $600 came from. I'm sure he added PF for a few dollars more. So, let's assume he called and selected a GT2 1.67 PF and AR, purchased them on line, self measured, sent his own frame, and waited maybe 2 weeks for delivery. Plus having to self adjust once received.
    Hmmm, and for about the same price, we sell a Zeiss Precision Plus in 1.67 PF with a Premium AR, fitted and dispensed by an ABOC optician, and delivered in 2-3 days. The internet sure sounds like a good bargain.........

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Any online site that offers lenses that require POW measurement is obviously just a site run by a con-artist.

Thread Information