Thread: Feedback on Occupational Progressives?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Feedback on Occupational Progressives?

Been doing some research on occupational progressives. For quite some time we had set the top of a progressive for someone's computer range and reset the ad accordingly. While it achieves success as an occupational pair of glasses it is not a manufacturer designed occupational lens. Specifically how Shamir (Office, Computer & Workspace) and Zeiss (Book, Desk & Room) each have a portfolio of lenses within the occupational area. Has anyone fit these lenses consistently? Endorse one manufacturer over the other? Would appreciate any useful feedback. Thanks. Would like to cross over into fitting the occupational lenses than making our own accommodations to traditional progressive designs.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They're all good, and generally superior for computer work to fudging a progressive. Mainly because reading area is larger, and distortion is spread throughout the often unused periphery rather than concentrated all in the lower half. That said, I do have problems with people on large multi-monitor workstations where the peripheral distortion is too much and causes too much head turning. For that the progressive fudge is better, but of course a flat top is the best solution for that. Also note a gripe about computer progressives is there is little customization; you cannot specify intermediate power, as you can when fudging a progressive or doing flat top. For average wearers no problem, but those people who sit very far from or close to their monitor can have trouble finding comfortable viewing.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLiv View Post
    They're all good, and generally superior for computer work to fudging a progressive. Mainly because reading area is larger, and distortion is spread throughout the often unused periphery rather than concentrated all in the lower half. That said, I do have problems with people on large multi-monitor workstations where the peripheral distortion is too much and causes too much head turning. For that the progressive fudge is better, but of course a flat top is the best solution for that.
    As soon as the patient starts talking about multiple monitors, I start steering away from progressives. FT28 or SV intermediate.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Zeiss Desk Lens is my favorite

Quote Originally Posted by Dah3500 View Post
    Been doing some research on occupational progressives. For quite some time we had set the top of a progressive for someone's computer range and reset the ad accordingly. While it achieves success as an occupational pair of glasses it is not a manufacturer designed occupational lens. Specifically how Shamir (Office, Computer & Workspace) and Zeiss (Book, Desk & Room) each have a portfolio of lenses within the occupational area. Has anyone fit these lenses consistently? Endorse one manufacturer over the other? Would appreciate any useful feedback. Thanks. Would like to cross over into fitting the occupational lenses than making our own accommodations to traditional progressive designs.
    "My opticians have been consistantly fitting the Zeiss office/Desk lens with amazing success. I personally have dispensed more than 40 pairs last year and had only one failure because the patient worked in an office that was five by six feet. I switched her to the book lens and she was happy. I wear it in my office and on the store selling floor and I like them so much half the time I leave the office with them on my face. The road signs are not too clear but I have an extra pair in the car.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    +1 for the zeiss office lens.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    We provide the IOT Office Reader with great success. The Office Reader 2m seems to be the most popular choice. Very similar to the Zeiss Office lens, but at a lower cost to our patients and to us.
    I use all three versions. The 1.3m when working on Photoshop, the 2m for general computer work, and the 4m when at the office. I highly recommend the 2m for the average user.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    We've been utilizing the Shamir Intouch a lot recently. It's not quite a computer lens, but from what I can tell, has the best intermediate range for a PAL. I put our pickiest PAL wearer in one (low power, no cyl, +2.25) and it's the first "wow" review she's given.

Our computer lens with the best results has been the Hoya Tact.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Thanks for the great responses. I've really been digging into the technical differences between the Shamir and Zeiss portfolios and the technical specs of office lenses as a whole. Appreciate everyone's feedback. On a side note.... I had a few Zeiss lenses in front me today and I was testing the 3 top AR coatings. Silver, Platinum and Blue. Have to say I was very disappointed .... compared to the Crizal family from a smudging standpoint and dare I say a house premium coating such as Synergy Crystal. Did I miss something?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    +1 for the progressive modification, since more and more of my patients are demanding enormous intermediate zones...

... as for dedicated NVF designs, I know they're allied to the Big E, but the Nikon office series is a personal favourite - two designs, one wider on top and the other wider at the bottom half. Choice of wider intermediate or near based on patient needs, and the swim is the least compared to other designs I've tried :)

(locally they are marketed as Home & Office for the wider intermediate design and Soltes Wide for the wider near design)

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Having a lot of success lately with the Shamir Workspace in mild plano or plus rx's with modest cyl.

Forty-five to 50 year olds used to otc's especially enjoy the put em on and leave em on at work. Most tell me they feel fine at even far distances but I suspect either not enough plus by the doc.

Let the lab do the rx change.

Have the patient sit at a simulated work station and dot the screen gaze center pupil. Remember to always have a least a 10mm drop from the top of the frame. More is better.

I describe it as instead of the corridor being an upside down "V" (placing hands to my eye, fingertips close, palms spread) they reverse it (forming hands to a "V"). Helps get the point across in simple terms and reassure those who had bad experiences with conventional progressives that the monitor will be easier to see with a wider field.

Stronger rx's I tend toward the Shamir Computer as dedicated work station glasses.

Thread Information