Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camber Lens - Seeking Feedback

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Camber Lens - Seeking Feedback

Hey all, first post, but a long-time reader and researcher.

I may be a little behind the times here, but I'm doing some research on the Camber Lens by Younger/IOT. I've read all the literature and white paper that the companies have available already. What I'm looking for is reviews and feedback from those who have first-hand experience with this lens.

I know it sounds strange, but does anyone have anything NEGATIVE to say about this lens? Also, how does it compare to other high-end personalized progressives (S-Series, Hoya ID, Auto III, etc.)?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm not sure if this helps, but here is my experience. I have 2 pairs of silhouettes, both have the same Rx and same shape in them. Everything is the same except one is a Camber and one is a Kodak Unique. I love the Unique, but I really love the Camber. It has become my preferred lens. I find the near to be more crisp. In fact everything is more crisp. (My A is 46 and my B is 26 with a SH of 15). I ordered the same Camber lenses in small B measurement frames for a few patients who were also wearing a Kodak Unique and they did not like it. All my patients in deeper frames (B of 30mm +) loved the Camber better. Makes sense. So, here in our office, we recommend the Camber for everything with a B of 30mm +.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for your feedback, mervinek!

So when you are ordering this lens, is it available in fixed corridor like Autograph III, or is it only variable length? Do you find that it works better or worse for certain Rx's (i.e. hyperopes vs myopes, high cyl, high add, first wearers, etc)?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Camber is a special blank, it is not a progressive design. You can use pretty much any IOT design with this blank. It allows you to use a steeper curvature in the seg than in the distance portion of the lens (like any traditional molded design) with the advantages of FF (better control of astigmatism, customization/personalization to wearer and frame). Have had better success with this lens for latent hyperopes turned presbyopes that have gone for years with only NVO than any other progressive. But, the lab plays a big part, make sure the chosen base curve is appropriate for the Rx to take full advantage of the variable curvature

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    My biggest problem with Camber would have to be availability. We are big 1.6 utilizers and not having that option is a pain.

Also, because they are specialized blanks, you can't just add on any of the newer tech like clear filters and such.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    My biggest problem with Camber would have to be availability. We are big 1.6 utilizers and not having that option is a pain.

Also, because they are specialized blanks, you can't just add on any of the newer tech like clear filters and such.
    Why in the world would you use 1.6 when 70% plus of the RX's are +2.00 to -2.00? What am I missing here??

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Camber blanks are definitely available in 1.60. Clear, trans, and polar.

What do you mean by "clear filters and such"?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gilman View Post
    Why in the world would you use 1.6 when 70% plus of the RX's are +2.00 to -2.00? What am I missing here??
    I wouldn't say we have the same stats walking through our doors. A lot of high cyls and people that have been turned away from other optical shops for different reasons. Old Rx, wanting to reuse a frame, total power too high- we have a reputation for providing when others won't.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    Camber blanks are definitely available in 1.60. Clear, trans, and polar.

What do you mean by "clear filters and such"?
    I'm confused. One of my sources yes and the other says no... I need to call my rep.

By clear filters, I meant the different blue blockers that have become available for most all digital progressives.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I didn't think you could get Camber in a blue blocker material, but can add a blue blocker coating. I could be wrong, but that was my understanding. I do know that Camber is not available in polarized. Very disappointing.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do know that Camber is not available in polarized
    But it is. Polarized grey and brown in plastic, poly, 1.60, and 1.67. I've used them all. It is not available yet in polarized trivex AFAIK.

As far as the blue blocking/filtering/coating, I think I'll leave that can of worms for a different thread.

Occupation
    http://www.camberlens.com/camber_ava....aspx?langId=1

Just looked up availability and the website lists all the goods. I think this might have more to deal with 3rd party interference or just a glitch in the system.

Thanks for the correction!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    But it is. Polarized grey and brown in plastic, poly, 1.60, and 1.67. I've used them all. It is not available yet in polarized trivex AFAIK.

As far as the blue blocking/filtering/coating, I think I'll leave that can of worms for a different thread.
    Well crud. I swear I couldn't get it polarized and ordered another progressive for myself instead. Oh well. Next time. I definitely like Camber better.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks everyone for the feedback so far, all good stuff.

What more can you all tell me about how your patients feel about it? Are there struggles with certain Rx's, personality types, etc.? Have you run into any non-adapts with it? Or is this lens really just simply the unicorn that everyone loves?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As AK47 said above, Camber is a lens blank with a proprietary front surface, it is not one specific design. Many different designs can be made on the Camber blank. Regardless of design (hard or soft, distance emphasis or near emphasis, etc.) I have never had an issue switching anyone to a Camber blank. Most people have found the reading/intermediate area easier use.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So I assume then that the lens designs that go onto the Camber lens blank are pretty much subject to availability depending on which lab creates them for us?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    AFAIK only IOT designs are available for the Camber blank. Your lab can pick and chose which IOT designs they want to offer on the camber blank. One of the wholesale lab guys here might have a better insight into that part.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And , of course you all know, there is an improved version of camber called Power.At least that's what Walman calls it.The Power Plus incorporates POW and can be specified to concentrate on near or dist. So far we've had prev prog failures adapt to this well.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bretk0923 View Post
    Hey all, first post, but a long-time reader and researcher.

I may be a little behind the times here, but I'm doing some research on the Camber Lens by Younger/IOT. I've read all the literature and white paper that the companies have available already. What I'm looking for is reviews and feedback from those who have first-hand experience with this lens.

I know it sounds strange, but does anyone have anything NEGATIVE to say about this lens? Also, how does it compare to other high-end personalized progressives (S-Series, Hoya ID, Auto III, etc.)?

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Primarily a lens for moderate to high hyperopia with moderate to advanced/absolute presbyopia. Here's why...

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7210779.html

Single-progressive spectacle lenses and also double-progressive spectacle lenses are known from the prior art. For example, U.S. Pat. No. 6,089,713 (=DE 197 01 312) describes a spectacle lens having a spherical front side and multifocal rear side, and also a method for producing it. Published German patent application no. DE 33 31 757 A1 describes a progressive spectacle lens having a convex aspheric front surface and concave aspheric inside or rear surface.

However, it has been found in the case of spectacle lenses having progressive rear surfaces that in the stronger addition area the spherical front surfaces must be fashioned with more of a curve than the front surfaces in the distance area of lenses having progressive front surfaces. This is felt to be disadvantageous by the spectacle wearer both for optical and for cosmetic reasons. The reason for this resides in the geometry of the lenses: if, for example, a lens is designed with a distance area effect of +5 dpt, in the case of progressive front surfaces use is made, for example, of a front surface with a surface dioptric power of +7 dpt which rises in the near area to approximately +10 dpt if the lens is to have an addition of 3 dpt. The spherical rear surface then has a surface dioptric power of approximately −2 dpt, resulting in an effect of approximately +5 dpt in the distance area.

If, in the case of progressive rear surfaces, a spherical front surface is to be selected which is as flat as the distance area of the lens with a progressive front surface (that is to say 7 dpt), the rear surface would need to have a surface dioptric power of −2 dpt in the distance area. With progressive rear surfaces, the mean curvature needs to decrease from the distance area to the near area and not, however, to increase such as would happen with progressive front surfaces. Thus, the surface dioptric power must rise from −2 dpt by 3 dpt to +1 dpt, in order to effect an addition of 3 dpt. This form of surface configuration is termed reversal of curvature. The surface is no longer only concave, as is the case with conventional products, but has an S-shaped course in a vertical section.

However, rear surfaces with reversal of curvature exhibit specific wearing properties which can lead to problems for the spectacle wearer. One problem is the relative nearness of the rear surface to the eye when such lenses are countersunk in conventional mounts. Since the eyelashes then strike against the lens, this frequently leads to irritation. A further problem is the more frequently occurring reflections which have a disturbing effect and reduce the contrast during seeing.

In order to avoid these effects, it is possible to increase only the curvature of the front surface in the case of lenses with a progressive rear surface, but this entails lenses which are thicker and unattractive cosmetically. Again, this raises the intrinsic magnification of the lenses, the result of which is to intensify the so-called “cow-eye effect”.

Decreased magnification, thickness, and weight, compared to full backside progressive lenses that have a spherical front surface.

Hope this helps,

Robert Martellaro
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Robert,have you personally tried the camber? I have and am a high minus. I find it superior in int and near compared to Zeiss GT2 3D and the old Individual 2 ( I understand it's been re formulated}? It's similar to the new Physio W3, at least for me. I am going to try new power shortly.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have the Camber and prefer it to my Kodak Uniques. I have same Rx and same frame for both, and prefer the Camber...crisper near.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Robert - That's a level of detail beyond what I was looking for. Awesome stuff. Really gives a nice refresher on why the theory on this lens is so solid, so thank you for that.

Still in search of some negative feedback, which I'm slowly becoming more and more convinced that such feedback does not exist...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rdcoach5 View Post
    And , of course you all know, there is an improved version of camber called Power.At least that's what Walman calls it.The Power Plus incorporates POW and can be specified to concentrate on near or dist. So far we've had prev prog failures adapt to this well.
    This isn't really anything new with Camber. Camber is only the lens blank the designs are cut on. The "Power Plus" distance/intermediate/near are the three different designs from IOT, the ALPHA H65/H45/H20 respectively cut on a camber blank. The regular "Power" lenses seem to be the same lenses cut on spherical front blanks. and the power lite are probably from the IOT basic series designs. All the IOT designs can be found here.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rdcoach5 View Post
    Robert,have you personally tried the camber? I have and am a high minus. I find it superior in int and near compared to Zeiss GT2 3D and the old Individual 2 ( I understand it's been re formulated}? It's similar to the new Physio W3, at least for me. I am going to try new power shortly.
    No, not for me...I want the best distance with the highest near zone, with no concern for intermediate utility due to the frequent use of separate task eyeglasses.

I haven't had a juicy presbyopic mod to high hyperope recently to use as guinea pig, but next chance I get I'll try it and report back. Hopefully it will be for someone who has had little or no change in Rx.

Quote Originally Posted by bretk0923 View Post
    Robert - That's a level of detail beyond what I was looking for. Awesome stuff. Really gives a nice refresher on why the theory on this lens is so solid, so thank you for that.

Still in search of some negative feedback, which I'm slowly becoming more and more convinced that such feedback does not exist...
    I would probably find the distance unacceptable with the near bias design, and the near unacceptable with the distance bias lens.

Younger describes a slice of front surface using the term "elephant's trunk", but only use somewhat general terms to describe the practical advantages, primarily limited to flatter base curves and reduced magnification for hyperopes, without the need for high chroma/high refractive index materials. I don't see any advantages over other first-rate PAL designs for low plus and minus Rxs.

Hope this helps,

Robert Martellaro
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Smilie

Since the beginning of the new year I have dispensed 12 camber PALS: The first was for a gentleman who had tried Progressives a couple of times but hated them. I did these as poly Drive wear. He put them on and with a big grin gave the the thumbs up sign. He left delighted. I phoned him 4 weeks later and he was still delighted.
    a couple of weeks later. a lady, a new customer, who had worn PALS for a long time but said she was never really felt fully comfortable with them, went with my advice and tried these.
    in 1.6 Transitions. On fitting, she looked up with a startled look; I thought Ho Ho, problem? She said she felt that she was not wearing lenses at all and was over the moon. She came back a week later. I thought I had a problem and as I had a shop full of clients was a little worried that she was going to complain. She said " I just had to come ad tell you that these are the best lenses I have ever had. I did another pair for a guy who heard that conversation; on pick up he said they were brilliant. Since then a further nine dispenses of these including a guy with +8.00 OU Dist . " Great".
    I have had phone calls from wearers to tell me how good they are.

I pay close attention to Panto and wrap and over +/- 3.00 measure BVD carefully.

In the UK we can get all the Materials: Trivex, 1.5. and polarised, Drivewear, but not in 1.74 index.
    I am very happy with this lens.

Thread Information