Thread: Excelon HPE-7000 Edger Help

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Excelon HPE-7000 Edger Help

I'm sure there is a simple fix to my problem so please don't judge. I had a lens that I started to edge and got as far as the roughing cycle when a rush job came in. I stopped the lens and figured I would get back to it later. When I tried running this lens again, the feeler slipped and said the lens was too small. I then hit the frame change icon and tried again and it still would not cut the lens. This also happens when I try to run a patients old lenses into a new frame. There must be some work around to this feeler problem but I just can't figure it out. I always end up having to hand edge the lens which I don't think looks as nice. Thanks for any help you can give to me!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I haven't worked on this particular model of edger but one with a similar configuration. The "feeler" or probe tips are measuring lens curvature, thickness and calculating bevel placement and profile. Typically the roughing cycle will cut the shape +.50-+1 over to allow for finish bevel and polish. It sounds like you've already completed the rough cycle and the lens was just about to run through the finish cycle.

I'm not sure if probing can be turned off...check your configuration settings.

If not, try blocking up a trial lens with similar power and decentration and set @ +1.0 or more and run a complete cycle. This is an attempt to approximate the bevel placement data. Then recut same lens to +.50 size...does the machine re-probe or go straight to finish. Either way once the cycle is complete, the edger should have bevel data and you should be able to re run the good lens in the finish cycle.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ok, my NOP 7EX uses "probe fingers" to determine lense size/geometry, sometimes you need to fake the machine out to think there's a big enough lense. If it only measures a single point of the lense, pay attention to where on the lense it will probe. Take the lense out and fold a leap tab over the area of the lense, the folded leap tab will synthesize a larger lense (where the tab sticks out) and allow the machine to complete the cycle. You amy be doing a lot of "folding" if it measures multiple points on the lense.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    In the menu there is a setting for the FC. Sometimes it is set at .5. You should set it to 1.0 or 1.5

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Try this

I also own a 4 year old Huvitz edger. It is my first edger so I can't compare to other edgers, but, I am definitely not buying an edger from Huvitz again. Anyway, regarding your issue, have you changed the edging size of the lens at the menu? It is my feeling that the front feeler traces default edging size, and rear feeler traces the new size that you changed at the setting. I would recommend to change the setting back to original and run a calibration. Hope it works.

Thread Information