Thread: 3m LEAP LSE Blocking pads

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

3m LEAP LSE Blocking pads

Aloha Everyone,
    I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with the 3m LEAP LSE blocking pads for hydrophobic coated lenses.

I recently ordered a roll thru optisource and noticed the side that adheres to the lenses is hardly sticky at all. The side that adheres to the blocking pad is totally fine but the printed side that adheres to the lens will barely even stick to my finger. I had them ship me a 2nd roll and asked for the most current stock but the new roll is not sticky either. After, talking to their cust. support, the guy wasnt very familiar with the pads but he also noted that a sample he had on hand wasnt very sticky either but he had to ask his product manager his opinion and I havent heard back yet.

Is there some strange reason these pads are supposed to be less sticky than a standard blocking pad? I've been edging lenses for 7+ years but we recently upgraded to a santinelli edger and new blocking pad system so I'm not familiar with these exact pads. From my experience, pads for slippery lenses were always MORE sticky than the standard pads.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    my process is, I peel off paper stick chuck to it, then remove pad/chuck from the roll.... done it this way for ever and never have slippage.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    my process is, I peel off paper stick chuck to it, then remove pad/chuck from the roll.... done it this way for ever and never have slippage.
    I am more so trying to find out from someone with hands on experience with this specific blocking pad(3m LEAP LSE) if it is supposed to be less sticky than a standard (non-hydrophobic) blocking. I

From my experience, the hydrophobic blocking pads were always a lot more sticky. With the pads I received, if I pinch the pad between two fingers, the side that goes on the chuck will always stay stuck to my finger and the side that attaches to the lens won't stick to my finger at all.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    We have never had slippage issues with the LSE. We use it on all of our super hydro coatings. The adhesive is pressure sensitive and is designed to adhere to the coating, not your finger.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    The adhesive is pressure sensitive and is designed to adhere to the coating, not your finger.
    So you are saying the adhesive on the LSE pads will not adhere to anything but the AR coating? I find that Odd, because I just read an old post from Barry Santini who said these pads are so sticky you have to be careful not to ruin AR coats when removing them. I've tested it on Zeiss Duravision/Crizal/Seiko coatings all with poor results and I get better adhesion with a regular LEAP pad.

With these pads, I have been using the "slow blocking" mode on our Santinelli ICE-1200 blocker which keeps pressure on the blocking pad until I tell it to release (I wait +10seconds). Even when doing this, the adhesive is not strong enough to keep the block on the lens and it will lift back up with the blocking arm.

I'm still waiting to hear back from the product manager at Optisource but this will probably be the last time I order anything from them. They have the best shipping rates for us folks in Hawaii, but its not the first time I've had issues with their products.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper

If they do not stick and are the original 3M made pads and marked so, they might be regular ones marked the wrong way by mistake.

Check if they are not the same as regular pads, by checking the adhesion rate on regular lenses.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What AR?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post

What AR?

Any AR coating that has a slick coat on it, those are the ones that need the non slip pads...........................

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I use 3M III with no problem , but I also know they have expiration dates.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by bsst View Post
    I use 3M III with no problem , but I also know they have expiration dates.
    Agree with this, also when peeling from the roll to place on the block be sure to only touch the tab portion to do this. Then place the block into the blocker chuck BEFORE peeling the pad cover for the lens. If you peel the pad cover first them place in the chuck your fingers can leave oil on the pad surface that will then go on the lens surface.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I have not tried this product but according to the spec sheet this is billed as a one pad solution for hydrophobic lens edging. I would agree that a pad meant for AR should feel to have an aggressive adhesion. My question is what is LSE Low Surface Energy?

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/3...pads-flyer.pdf

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    FWIW, I use a Leap III on top of a 1647 (blue chip) for the real slippery stuff. Then put a 1647 between the lense and chuck.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Occupation
    The LSE should have 3M printed on the side that adheres to the lens. If it doesn't, then it is the III.

As Plausible mentioned, do not remove the protective cover until ready to block. Another thing to consider is using an anti-slip spray that is available from Optisource or Quantum. You may balk at the price, but once you see a reduction in spoilage, it will pay for itself, considering the cost of premium AR products. We use this combination on all of our AR products including Trivex with a superhydro without issues. We have tried various combinations of pads and discs, with limited success. The LSE/spray combo works the best.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The absolute best combination (and I have used them all, on every single AR, including Crizal with the protective coating wiped off - all cut on a LE-9000 wet wheel edger) is Dynamics green foam pads with their Dynagrip Xtreme film tape. You can also buy these as a single product with the film on one side of the pad.

Nothing else comes close, I use the rest of my LSE pads to stick demo lenses to my pattern tracer when needed.

I haven't had a single lens twist in 3 years with this combo. Including thick trivex trifocals/bifocals with super slick AR. (Cut the film in strips and put one below each ledge and the rest above the top ledge before blocking.)

My 2 cents.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Aloha Alex,

I just came across this post and hope I can lend a hand. Edging pads cannot be tested for stickiness by hand. Many of the new adhesive systems used on edging pads are designed to stick to low surface energy surfaces (like your hydrophobic AR coated lenses), not hands. It may sound counterintuitive, but some of the best performing pads have very low tack (stickiness). The real test is to use the pads on your lenses. 3M is a historical leader in both adhesives and edging pads. If one of their solutions do not work for you OptiSource has a variety of edging pads that will help:http://www.1-800-optisource.com/Blocking-Pads.aspx
    Last edited by OptiSource; 04-28-2017 at 04:19 PM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Super hydrophobic coatings have "low" surface energy (LSE) instead of high.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What is available in 22mm round now?
    I cant find anything in DAC, Dynamics green ones are gone....
    Help!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Alex,
    Check out our availability here: http://bt.e-ditionsbyfry.com/publication/?i=333378#{"issue_id":333378,"page":147}

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    What is available in 22mm round now?
    I cant find anything in DAC, Dynamics green ones are gone....
    Help!
    Optisource and Dynamic Labs both have a 22mm Secure Edge for hydro. I am partial to the 3m LSE.

Thread Information