Thread: Essilor Eyezen with Prevencia???

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Essilor Eyezen with Prevencia???

Hello everyone,
    This is my first post on the forum. I had a patient that ordered eyezen with prevencia coating. The optician who dispensed her lenses wasn't there so I decided to take a look if I could help her (I mainly deal with Zeiss and Nikon).Her first pair was remade because they scratched within 1 week. Her second lenses came in, were cut for, and everything was fine. However, she came back yesterday asking about the prevencia coating on her lenses. She said that the first pair had a green reflex residue besides the purple sheen, but the second pair only had the purple. So I checked her lenses. They were a little bit yellow with purple sheen but there was no green reflection at all. Luckily we still had her old lenses and yes there was a green reflection color besides the purple hue. I talked to my supervisor and he had no idea, he said he would check with the lab. So I said I would call her back and if the AR was wrong, we would remake her lenses again.
    Now the confusing part is that I also have a friend who is also an optician and he said that the new eyezen lenses come with its own AR coating, and if the patient wants Prevencia they need to coat them one more time??? He suspects that the lab accidentally sent us the wrong lenses that weren't coated.
    Could anyone who is familiar with eyezen and prevencia give me some insight into this? She's leaving for vacation soon, and I'm not sure if I should order new lenses for her. Thank you.
    Last edited by D_Opt; 02-20-2017 at 05:20 PM.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The Alize coating by essilor comes with a greenish coating. I haven't heard anything about the Eyezen coming with it's own coating and then putting on an additional coating. Your best bet is to just call the lab and ask. They probably will be able to tell you right away what coating it is.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When EyeZen was originally going to be released it was coming packaged with an AR Coating, NOW the EyeZen+ (notice the differentiation between the Eyezen with no +) you pick your AR coat. It coming with its own AR is old information, and I don't know that it ever actually went "live" that way. The prevencia should have a purple/green effect though yes. Mine does at least. Talk to your local essilor rep and have them help you with this so you don't get charged! :)
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you very much for your help. We're still waiting to get an answer from our lab (they are closed over long weekend). While her lenses do not have the greenish coating, there is a light yellow reflex but I suspect that is due to the yellow lenses and not the coating itself.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Prevencia does have a blue cast to the AR, with a slight amber tint to the coating. The Prevencia is similar to the Quantum Retinal Bliss in color when looking through the lens. This amber cast helps with the brightness of the monitor and increases the contrast for a more comfortable viewing.
    If the AR on the Eyezen is a greenish cast, then it is not the Prevencia coating, rather the standard Crizal coating. You will need to wait to hear back from your lab.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    Prevencia does have a blue cast to the AR, with a slight amber tint to the coating. The Prevencia is similar to the Quantum Retinal Bliss in color when looking through the lens. This amber cast helps with the brightness of the monitor and increases the contrast for a more comfortable viewing.
    If the AR on the Eyezen is a greenish cast, then it is not the Prevencia coating, rather the standard Crizal coating. You will need to wait to hear back from your lab.
    Well her first pair has a green reflection along with a purple sheen. The second pair do not have the green, instead the reflection is light yellow (but it's likely because of the yellow nature of the lenses) with purple hue. Sorry it's my first time dealing with Prevencia/Essilor. Happy family day guys.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Disclaimer- I am employed by Essilor.
    becc971 has hit the nail on the head. Originally, Eyezen enhanced single vision lenses came standard with a no-glare coating which filtered Harmful Blue Light (HBL). With Eyezen+ enhanced single vision lenses (the + designates it as the version which is only sold through independent eye care practitioners), the practitioner can choose whatever coating s/he wishes (partly because this version of the product has the Smart Blue Filter feature, which means the substrate absorbs a percentage of HBL similar to the amount the coating reflected on the original product).

Anyway, if you have ordered Crizal Prevencia no-glare you should be seeing a purple-ish AND a greenish reflection on the lens (purple-ish on the front, because it is reflecting away Harmful Blue Light- which is violet in color, and greenish on the back because of course we do not want to reflect HBL back into the eye). There are actually some products on the market which reflect HBL from both sides (which would give you purple-ish reflections on both sides), but Crizal Prevencia lenses should look like your description of the patient's initial pair. Sounds as if you are also following becc971's advice to work with your local consultant/lab, who should be able to remedy the issue.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank Pete, perfect answer!

And here's my Eyezen+ with Prevencia to demonstrate:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	File_000.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	13144

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Great image- that is exactly how Crizal Prevencia should look! When you are in an environment where the lighting source has a disproportionate amount of blue content (which is the case here- note the fluorescent lighting), you'll really notice the purple. Under incandescent lighting, there will be less HBL to reflect, so the lenses will not appear as purple.

Also, you can see the purple reflection is on the convex side while the concave (back) side is green (that's why the purple reflection is so much larger :^).
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks guys. Seems like there was a problem with the lab, and our manager agreed to have her lenses remade one more time.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Idea input for light sensitive customer.

My first post as well. A light sensitive customer came in today and they requested a blue blocking coating. Currently he is wearing a single vision Eyezen lense, option 1, with sapphire coating. He said it's the best he's had but would like to try something that will block more of the HEV light.

He mentioned Eyezen with Prevencia. However, I am going to recommend the techshield blue with the Eyezen lense if the lab can put these together.

The office I currently work in prefers Hoya over Crizal but also has access to VSP. I am still a bit unsure. So here i am

I welcome opinions if there is a better solution that will work for him other than the Techshield Blue with the Eyezen lense.

My thoughts:

Techshield Blue protects against 400-430 nanometers (nm), Eyezen 415-455 nm, and Provencia 415-455 nm. To give him broader protection that is why the Techshield blue is what i lean towards with the Eyezen lense.

Hoya Recharge EX3 is great but I have am not sure the exact wavelength it protects against (waiting on rep). Also, i can not seem find a lense similar to Eyezen that the Recharge EX3 will go on that filters the light other than a tinted lense. I mentioned blu tech but he wants a better coating than the hoya premium coating in terms of anti-glare specifically.

Techshield and the Eyezen together will provide the broadest protection at 400 nm to 455 nm wavelength from my understanding. Has anyone tried this combo? any recommendations are welcome.

Thread Information