Thread: Understand the tech in Blutech

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Understand the tech in Blutech

I am ordering new Blutech lenses this week. I am excited but i wonder if I can do better than these. that starts with understanding in my case.

For Blutech, it can not be the only yellow tint. it must be something more. If not, wouldn't they be the same a Gunnar glasses? Gunnar glasses do not come recommended by many eye doctors it seems.

It seems like Blutech are the only blue blocking lenses that comes with a premium Crizal or Hoya coating such as Avance.

I search Amazon and I find Swanwick Sleep glasses but I cant get those with the coating such as Crizal or Hoya?

The reason I respect these coatings is because I have tried coatings Blue Blocking coatings from Zinni Optical and they do not help my nearly as much when setting behind a screen with Blutechs?

Is there a way to do better than Blutech, can any explain their approach?

Many thanks
    Last edited by eyoung; 02-12-2017 at 09:38 AM.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I just saw Dr. Bill Stacy's youtube video. I am definitely no expert but from experience sitting here typing I can attest that sitting in an LED 6000K colored, 8000 lumens with an Samsung SVA panel set at 100 percent birghtness for zero flicker and 6500K standard color setting:

Using Zinni Optical lenses interrupts focus significantly. They have a Blue light reflective coating. I do not have a pair with a non blue light coating and just standard AR.

There is still glare from the back of the lense it seems coming at my eye with the Blutech lenses and Hoya Hi Vision View Protect but the glare is much less so but still present in spurts. <----- More confident under pressure when need to stare at screen for hours to absorb new information or solve problem with digital interface.

Putting this out there for others that may find this post through a google search.

How is a http://www.noviolens.com lense different from a Blutech lense other than color?
    Last edited by eyoung; 02-12-2017 at 08:39 PM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    May I ask why you chose to go with a coated lens instead of an embedded lens?

My research has shone that coated lenses do not offer the level of HEV protection that an embedded lens does. If glare is an issue, then a Conant or a VE ClearBlue with a standard AR coating will offer better HEV protection. Better yet, a Transition with AR blocks more HEV than Blue Tech, and without the strange color.

One coating that I have been toying with is the Quantum Retinal Bliss. On par with HEV protection, and at a better price point than the Crizal Prevencia. Three benefits of the Retinal Bliss is the slight amber cast that helps to attenuate the brightness of a monitor (and the same color as the Prevencia),and the second is that it has a UV pass through on the backside to reduce the reflected UV from the back of the lens, one thing that Prevencia does not claim. The third benefit is the lower COGs and relative price point associated with Retinal Bliss, as compared to the Prevencia.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I assumed Blutech was embedded. Always willing to be wrong though.

I chose Zinni Optical because I wanted to see the quality of the lens and coating for the price point.

According to this data sheet Butech is embedded:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6...VdzWXFpMGpITlE

The transitions seem to be just as good but I did not find it documented anywhere readily available to me. thank you for the input

The Quantum Retinal Bliss seems great. When you mentioned standard AR coating, are you referred to a coating such as Such as Crizal Sapphire or Hoya Super HI Vision EX3?? Do standard AR coatings reflect UV from the back of the lens? Do you know of AR coating that acts like the Quantum Retinal Bliss where is specifically states that it does not reflect UV from the back of the lens and has the UV pass through? Could you point me to a coating that states this?
    Last edited by eyoung; 02-12-2017 at 08:40 PM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    eyoung,

My bad. Blutech is embedded. I was thrown by the the AR question and overlooked the Blutech portion. Any Premium AR will work on an embedded lens, but paying for an HEV AR on an embedded product is just a waste of money. We produce several of Quantum's AR coatings, and all of our 'recipes' have the UV backside, not just the retinal Bliss. As we backside spin currently, and not dip coat, we cannot compete with the EX3, Crizal and other super premium ARs, but we do stand by our processes.

We also offer the Zeiss Duravision coatings via outsourcing, and we investigated the Prevencia as well. Both are great coatings, however, neither Zeiss, nor Essilor have white papers regarding the pass through backside stack, so I cannot offer any advice. FEA, from my understanding, produces Quantum's recipes with a dip coating and they will be a better resource.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper UV 400 dye that has been on the optical market since the early 1980s ................

The yellowish UV 400 dye that has been on the optical market since the early 1980s will fully absorb all UV and short wave blue light. What is absorbed will not be transmitted , so there is 100% full protection.

I total Blue light protection is required tint the lenses with a full fledged "BlueBlocker Dye" which now can be tinted into different colors .

Then you can add any coating you want, if needed, wanted or whatever.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    eyoung,

My bad. Blutech is embedded. I was thrown by the the AR question and overlooked the Blutech portion. Any Premium AR will work on an embedded lens, but paying for an HEV AR on an embedded product is just a waste of money. We produce several of Quantum's AR coatings, and all of our 'recipes' have the UV backside, not just the retinal Bliss. As we backside spin currently, and not dip coat, we cannot compete with the EX3, Crizal and other super premium ARs, but we do stand by our processes.

We also offer the Zeiss Duravision coatings via outsourcing, and we investigated the Prevencia as well. Both are great coatings, however, neither Zeiss, nor Essilor have white papers regarding the pass through backside stack, so I cannot offer any advice. FEA, from my understanding, produces Quantum's recipes with a dip coating and they will be a better resource.
    I'm pretty sure this guy is a consumer.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post
    Why would an Ophthalmic tech order his glasses from Zenni?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Why would an Ophthalmic tech order his glasses from Zenni?
    Can you hear the bells?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post
    I agree 100%. Reported post to admin.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As a consumer, you need to speak with your nearest eye care professional.

In person.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    As per the forum rules you agreed to when you registered:

"This forum is for Eyecare Professionals. Consumers are not allowed to post on the Board, although they can read posts and search topics."

All the professional Opticians on this site would love to help you solve your problems or answer your questions about your eye care and eye wear need! But vision and visual solutions can have thousands of correct as well as incorrect answers.

We care about your vision and visual needs so strongly that we must advise you to seek a professional in the eye care field. Only with in-person evaluation can you truly get a proper diagnosis. You PD and powers are simply not enough information to give you any kind of advice other than speculation. We are sure that you want the best in eye care, as we want for you. Please seek out someone that you can discuss your issues with in person.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Thread Information