Thread: Polishing Injection Molded Frame

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Polishing Injection Molded Frame

Lab has scratched / chipped an irreplaceable injection molded plastic frame...any suggestions on how to smooth / polish the surface to make it less obvious ??

T H A N K S .

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper The same way as it has been done 30, 40, 50 years ago, .............................

The same way as it has been done 30, 40, 50 years ago, .............................
    file.........sand ...........and then polish on a buffer, using the white polishing compound.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    How deep is the scratch? What does the frame finishing look like? Glossy or matte? Color? You can blend in color pigment to epoxy resin and fill the cut and then smooth it down with fine grid sandpaper. After you are done with it. Remove both temples and apply a thin layer of clear coat over on the frame frame or both temples to match up!

i wouldn't polish injection frames. They get burned!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper Yes they will be burned if do not have the touch for it .............................

Quote Originally Posted by JERRY HUANG View Post

i wouldn't polish injection frames. They get burned!

Yes they will be burned if do not have the touch for it, and have learned not to press to hard onto the polishing wheel that should not turn at 1000 rpm.

Occupation
    Trying to turn a sows ear into a silk purse, eh.

If it is injection molded it is not "irreplaceable." There are probably millions and millions of them out there. Trying to find one is the problem.

In any case it is probably a piece of junk so do the best you can repairing it.

Lotsa luck.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the responses!

The frame I have is shiny (not matte) dark tortoise injected-molded. The finish is delicate and I'm not at all convinced that sand paper (no matter how fine) will not make matters worse. Do you think I can use Pledge furniture polish and shine it with a rag? Has anyone tried this?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Injectionmold frames means Proprionate right? Isn't there like a coating ontop of those frames that will only be removed even more so if you polish it? (I am probably confused.)

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    Injectionmold frames means Proprionate right? Isn't there like a coating ontop of those frames that will only be removed even more so if you polish it? (I am probably confused.)
    Its all depends on the quantity! An industrial size of injection machine usually has a reservoir holding 50 kg of injection raw material. The best grade of raw material (pellet form)come in water clear color. Not unless the whole tank is purposely to be made for a particular color by blending in color pigment, the 50 kg of raw material will be good enough to produce 500 pairs of frame fronts and temples in clear color! After scraping the molded seam with knife blade ,follow by tumbling.....technicians air brush different colors onto these injected parts and then proceed final assembly!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by JERRY HUANG View Post
    Its all depends on the quantity! An industrial size of injection machine usually has a reservoir holding 50 kg of injection raw material. The best grade of raw material (pellet form)come in water clear color. Not unless the whole tank is purposely to be made for a particular color by blending in color pigment, the 50 kg of raw material will be good enough to produce 500 pairs of frame fronts and temples in clear color! After scraping the molded seam with knife blade ,follow by tumbling.....technicians air brush different colors onto these injected parts and then proceed final assembly!
    Thats awesome info, but it sounds like sanding/fining/polishing such a frame will only remove more of the airbrushed colors no?

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    Thats awesome info, but it sounds like sanding/fining/polishing such a frame will only remove more of the airbrushed colors no?

Yes! The original paint will be thin down, eventually removed after sanding! If only one temple is sanded, I might as well apply sanding entirely on both temples. If the frame front required repair, then I sand down the entire frame front with super fine grits sandpaper follow by spray painting both temples at the same time or the frame front.

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by ak47 View Post
    Thanks for the responses!

The frame I have is shiny (not matte) dark tortoise injected-molded. The finish is delicate and I'm not at all convinced that sand paper (no matter how fine) will not make matters worse. Do you think I can use Pledge furniture polish and shine it with a rag? Has anyone tried this?

A scratch will will be there forever if it is deep enough! Furniture polish is only good for fur cell scratches !

Thread Information